The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Upcoming German and Austrian wine tasting dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Upcoming German and Austrian wine tasting dinner

by Howard » Thu May 31, 2007 2:16 pm

Here is the menu from a German and Alsatian (sp?) wine tasting dinner my lovely wife has bought tickets for us for Father's day. I"m new to this kind of wine but have made it my project for this year to at least develop an introduction to them. Any comments?

An opportunity to sample cuisine prepared by Executive Chef Breanna Beike who is one of Chicago's finest new talents paired with special selections of German and Alsace limited production wines from Candid Wines.

Appetizers:

2006 Georg Gustav Huff Kerner Halbtroken (35 year old vines. 417 cases produced)

Seared Beef Tenderloin With Porcini Compote

Mini Ratatouille Crisp

Shrimp And Mango Ceviche

Ahi Tuna Tartar With Mango And Thai Chilis

First Course:

2005 Domaine Martin Schaetzel Pinot Gris Cuvee Reserve (Grown biodynamically)

Summer Heirloom Tomato Salad

Baby Arugula, Shaved Reggiano And Truffle Vinaigrette

Second Course:

1976 August Ziegler Gewurztraminer Auslese (only one case was imported to the United States)

Pan Roasted Atlantic Halibut

Savoy Cabbage, Chantrelle Mushrooms And Lobster Bordelaise

Intermezzo

Third Course:

2005 Georg Gustav Huff Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spatlese Trocken (150 cases imported)

And

2005 Georg Gustav Huff Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spatlese (45 cases imported)

Free Range Veal Medallions

Sweetbreads, Fresh Sage And Apple Smoked Bacon

Fourth Course:

2004 Weingut Keller Spatburgunder (Pinot Noir. 30 cases imported)

Petit Basque (Sheeps milk)

Valencay Ash (Goat milk)

Brillat Savarin (Triple cream cows milk)

Montagnolo (Soft blue cows milk)

Peach Marmalade, Plum Cherry Biscotti And Fig Honey

Fifth Course:

2005 Weingut Keller Westhofener Kirschpiel Riesling Auslese Gold Cap (5 cases imported)

Candied Apple Tart

Vanilla Creme Fraiche, Cinnamon Twirl And Walnut Syrup

Veritas Chocolatier Cream Truffles
Howard
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Upcoming German and Austrian wine tasting dinner

by Rahsaan » Thu May 31, 2007 5:31 pm

Interesting selection. Afterwards please do tell us about the Zeigler Gewurztraminer auslese and where it was from exactly. I must admit that 30 year old gewurztraminer auslese from a low acid year strikes me as curious to say the least. Should be interesting!
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Thu May 31, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks for your comments Rahsaan. Does Auslese mean it's a relatively sweet Gewurtz? And which years for Gewurtz (or do I have to specify gewurtz auslese?) would be considered more age-worthy? I'm really trying to learn about this stuff but I don't even really understand the terminology yet.
:oops:
Howard
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Thu May 31, 2007 8:40 pm

Maybe a little off topic, but if you want to be able to taste any of these wines, then [absolutely] no toothpaste or mouthwash or diet soda for at least 24 hours prior to the tasting [that includes toothbrushes that have old toothpaste residue on them].

I don't recognize any of these particular wines, but this is going to be a strange flight - tasting a trocken next to a süß:

2005 Georg Gustav Huff Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spatlese Trocken
2005 Georg Gustav Huff Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spatlese
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:41 am

Howard wrote:Thanks for your comments Rahsaan. Does Auslese mean it's a relatively sweet Gewurtz? And which years for Gewurtz (or do I have to specify gewurtz auslese?) would be considered more age-worthy?

Well auslese should be somewhat sweet on release. I find that the typical ones are roughly similar to a French "moelleux", although in really ripe years (03 and 05) they can be closer to a French "liquoreux".

76 was such a ripe year, although at this point some of the 76 German wines I have tasted (not many admittedly) have gone dry or almost dry. But the year was still marked by low acidity, and as gewurztraminer is a naturally low acid grape that does not usually age well it should be quite interesting to taste this wine. As there are always exceptions to all forms of conventional wisdom. And this may be one!
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:43 pm

I will try very hard to maintain the discipline needed for notes and report back after the dinner.
Howard
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:09 pm

I was living in Germany from '75 to '81 and consumed many wines from that wonderful '76 vintage. Unfortunately I didn't save a one to age. Is it German and Austrian wines or German and Alsace wines?