The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Organic and Biodynamic wine producers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Fiola

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm

Boston, MA

Organic and Biodynamic wine producers

by John Fiola » Thu May 31, 2007 5:51 pm

Hi all,
I've been asked to teach a course (3 sessions - each an hour and a half long) on the topic of Organic and Biodynamic wines.

Who are some of the noted producers of Biodynamic and Organic wines?

Can anyone point me towards any resources on Organic and Biodynamic production?

My course is in September, but I think that I'll need some time to research the topic and find enough wines for the class. I'm probably looking for 18-20 wines.
Cheers,
John
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Organic and Biodynamic wine producers

by Robin Garr » Thu May 31, 2007 6:14 pm

John Fiola wrote:Who are some of the noted producers of Biodynamic and Organic wines?

John, as discussed in Chat, some of my favorites - not because they're organic or biodynamic but because they're good - include:

<b>Marc Kreydenweiss</b> (Alsace)
<b>Mas de Gourgonnier</b> (Provence)
<b>Bonterra</b> (North Coast)

I believe the Perrin family's properties, from the Perrin wines to Chateau de Beaucastel, are organic. Possibly Tablas Creek, the California property that they own with Robert Haas, as well.

I think Bois de Boursan in Chateauneuf-du-Pape is full of them. And aren't most of Dressner's French imports organic/biodynamic? Also check <b>San Patrignano</b> in Emilia-Romagna ... I believe they're organic, too.

You might check with Hoke, who I'll bet could connect you with some very good sources at Bonterra.
Last edited by Robin Garr on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu May 31, 2007 6:24 pm

Some others that are I believe biodynamic (though not neccessarily Demeter certified):

Nikolaihof   (Austria)
Burgundy: Leroy, Lafon, Domaine Leflaive, Brocard
Alsace: Deiss, Zind Humbrecht ,Frick , Ostertag, Weinbach
Loire: Coulée de Serrant/Joly, Huet, Breton (both?), Clos Roche Blanche,
Rhône: Chapoutier (domaine only)
Provence : Sainte-Anne

Gravner in Italy, I believe
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu May 31, 2007 6:48 pm

John, if you'd like I can supply you with a powerpoint presentation I put together on the organic/biodynamic vineyards at Bonterra.

It goes through an entire sequence detailing the basic premises and concepts of chemical-dependent farming, sustainable, IPM, organic, and biodynamic (and defines what the different terms actually mean). It also has (if I say so myself, and I guess I do) a remarkably nice progression of photos to illustrate the points. And once it gets into the bio part, it has a catchy series where the audience is posed with problems (an infestation of cutworms, insects flocking at the leaves just before harvest, etc., with the "answers" the vineyard managers came up with to deal with them.

Of course, we toot our own horn in the process, but then again, we think its a horn worth tooting. :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu May 31, 2007 7:59 pm

Hoke wrote: a powerpoint presentation I put together

Another illusion shattered. Here I thought of Hoke as a interesting, erudite, passionate guy (with an unusual name). Nope, he puts together PP presentations.
:P
no avatar
User

John Fiola

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston, MA

by John Fiola » Thu May 31, 2007 8:50 pm

Wow, this is a great start !!!

I know of Lolonis in Cal. , and a Spanish that I've had (need to look up my notes).

Anyone know of producers in the Southern Hemisphere who practice Organic and Biodynamic production?
Cheers,
John
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 31, 2007 10:40 pm

Two other biodynamic producers in Sonoma I recently visited are Porter Creek and Joe Swan. I'm sure that there must be a website somewhere listing the various organic producers in CA, at the very least.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 31, 2007 10:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I believe the Perrin family's properties, from the Perrin wines to Vieux-Telegraphe, are organic. Possibly Tablas Creek, the California property that they own with Robert Haas, as well.

I'm pretty sure that you're right about the Perrins' properties being organic (dunno about the negoce wines) but, unlike the other discreet posters on this thread, I'll be crass enough to tweak you about your gaffe: the Perrin bros. run Ch. Beaucastel, whereas Vieux Telegraphe is run by the Bruniers. But of course you knew that already, Robin... :oops:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Thu May 31, 2007 10:57 pm

Nicolas Joly is a very strong advocate of Biodynamism. I've been to one of his presentations on the topic and he is very interesting to listen to. Some information from his site can be found at http://www.coulee-de-serrant.com/biodynamieang.html

Also, there are some baseline information posted on the UK site Wine Anorak

http://www.wineanorak.com/biodynamic1.htm

This is the first of eight parts on his site.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu May 31, 2007 11:01 pm

John, here's a good list of wineries and some useful references:

Organic Wine Producers

Grgich Hills (California)

Bonterra Vineyards (California)

Frog's Leap (California)

The Organic Wine Company - Key importer of Organic French Wines

Frey Vineyards(California)

Organic Vintners - Importers of internationally produced Organic Wines

Ceago Vinegarden (California)

Robert Sinskey Vineyards (California)

Summerhill Pyramid Winery (Canada)

Robinvale Organic Wines (Australia)

Richmond Plains (New Zealand)

Kawarau Estate (New Zealand)

Temple Bruer Winery (Australia)

Nuova Cappelletta (Italy)

Bodega Hermanos Delgado(Spain)

Badger Mountain Vineyard (Washington)

Snoqualmie Wines also has an organic line of remarkable wines

Suggested Reading

Sustainable Farming Techniques at Shafer Vineyards

Links are live at Wine.About:

http://wine.about.com/od/wineandhealth/ ... cwines.htm
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:22 am

The most prominent biodynamic wine producer in New Zealand - because they were the first - is Millton Estate.

James Millton is a sought after speaker of biodynamic conferences and runs workshops. Check out the website http://www.millton.co.nz for some useful information - click on the Biodynamic link.

Other high profile NZ wineries following organic/biodynamic principles are Felton Road, Rippon Estate, Seresin Estate, Kingsley Estate and Kawarau Estate (as Bob Ross mentioned).

My first experience with biodynamic wines was with Chapoutier, and they are fairly well distributed world wide.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:33 am

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:01 am

John,
If you are looking for a North East example try Silver Thread http://www.silverthreadwine.com/
The owner/winemaker is a contributer to the "Oxford Companion to the Wines of North America" and his wines are very good.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:12 am

Mark Lipton wrote:I'm pretty sure that you're right about the Perrins' properties being organic (dunno about the negoce wines) but, unlike the other discreet posters on this thread, I'll be crass enough to tweak you about your gaffe: the Perrin bros. run Ch. Beaucastel, whereas Vieux Telegraphe is run by the Bruniers. But of course you knew that already, Robin... :oops:

Aw, geeez ... you're right of course, Mark. Thanks! And d'oh! I've visited both properties and met both proprietors, and STILL I screwed it up.

Okay, having admitted fault and submitted to self-criticism, I'll edit the original for the record. ;)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:11 am

In regard to the Perrins, Grape Radio has a recent pod cast with one of the Perrins. If I recall correctly he discusses organics a little bit.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:16 am

Not a producer, but an importer right up the road from you: http://www.chartrandimports.com/

Cheers, Carl
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:19 am

Marcoux
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:17 pm

Bob, I hate to be overly pedantic on you, but from the list you provided there are some significant differences. They lie within how the government classifies and defines "organic" these days.

There is a big difference between organic viticulture and 'organic wine'.

For instance, Bonterra is not, by government definition, an "organic wine", and can't be labelled as such (in this country, anyway).

There is a technical/legal difference between "Organic Wine" and wine "Made from Organically Grown Grapes". Bonterra is the latter, and not the former.

Long story short, when the federal government got involved in organics (and especially when it got to be seen as a potential profit source and not just a bunch of tree hugging hippies raising spotted and expensive lettuce leaves) they managed to screw it up (as usual) by confounding organics and sulfites.

The end result thus far is this: to be labelled "Organic Wine" the grapes have to be grown organically, the wine cannot use "added sulfites", either in the vineyards or the winemaking process, and the wine must be less than 10ppm in sulfites (however, in the EU the minimum level is 100ppm).

All Bonterra grapes are grown organically (and some biodynamically, and are so certified by CCOF and Demeter), but the winemakers use the 'traditional' European method of winemaking, and they do sometimes use added sulfur (which is an organic element and is allowed in organic farming), when necessary, as in heavy mildew moist years, for instance. Hence, Bonterra wines carry the label "Made from Organically Grown Grapes". We also have learned, from much experience the public has never seen (or more properly, tasted) that the absence of sulfiting agents results in poor quality and easily degraded and spoiled wines. Put simply, the wines have no shelf life or ageability and most seem to turn brown before your very eyes on the shelf. :)

I will clarify here that Bonterra wines are significantly lower in sulfites than the average non-organic wines, but since we don't consider sulfites and sulfite labelling integral to the organic issue, but an entirely different issue altogether, we don't arbitrarily mandate the use or non-use of sulfur. As a further oddity, Bonterra could qualify as "organic wine" in the EU market, because of the different threshold levels of sulfites allowed---which again, has very little to do with the organic issue.

It is also possible, I understand, to take sulfites out of wines. Bonterra obviously doesn't do that either, of course.

So in your list, you have a differing array of producers. Some of them are "Made from Organically Grown Grapes", some are "Organic Wines". Some are ceritifed Organic in viticultural terms. Some are certified Biodynamic as well.

Are we confused yet? :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Got it, Hoke, thanks. :)

How about sending me a hard copy of your PP on organics?

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

John Fiola

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston, MA

by John Fiola » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:42 pm

Hoke,
Thanks, I would appreciate it.