The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SFChron: Vineyard Irragation

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SFChron: Vineyard Irragation

by TomHill » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:25 pm

Interesting & informative article in today's SFChron by Alice Feiring on vineyard irragation, pros & cons. The Flat Earthers...errrrrr...Dry Farmers claim that irrigation destroys terroir in wine because the roots don't need to go down as deep and, therefore, don't pick up as much in the way of minerals that make for terroir in the wine. I'm a bit suspicious of that claim.
So...if the roots are near the surface and pick up a different set of minerals than a vine whose roots must go deep and picks up a different aggregation of minerals....which vine produces the truest expression of terroir??
Talk amongst yourselves.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/01/WIG8OQ1CII1.DTL
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: SFChron: Vineyard Irragation

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:28 pm

TomHill wrote:Interesting & informative article in today's SFChron by Alice Feiring on vineyard irragation, pros & cons. The Flat Earthers...errrrrr...Dry Farmers claim that irrigation destroys terroir in wine because the roots don't need to go down as deep and, therefore, don't pick up as much in the way of minerals that make for terroir in the wine. I'm a bit suspicious of that claim.
So...if the roots are near the surface and pick up a different set of minerals than a vine whose roots must go deep and picks up a different aggregation of minerals....which vine produces the truest expression of terroir??
Talk amongst yourselves.

Well, it's hard to argue with the salutary effects of dry farming in a Mediterranean climate when you see what the vignerons of the S. Rhone, Languedoc and Provence can do. Moreover, Rod Berglund at Joe Swan, for one, is a dry farmer (except in extremis) and IMO produces some of the most individualistic expressions of CA grape varieties in all of the state. Not necessarily cause and effect, but it does give pause for thought.

That view of terroir, however, seems to me to be misguided. To me, the most useful definition of terroir is simply a sense of place, and there's no question that if you irrigate a grape vine you remove one of the effects of location (growing season rainfall). There's a reason why all those Grand Cru vineyards are located on the higher slopes in Burgundy.

Just my $0.02,
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:16 pm

There's also the aspect of not depleting the aquifer, as is happening in many places.

The article did not address salinization of the soil, another long-term problem with irrigation.

I have read, time after time, year after year, how stressing the vines makes for better wines. Why would this not be the case with irrigation (or its absence)?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:59 pm

The more time goes on the more I just want to judge by what's in the bottle, and not deal with philosophical arguments that can almost never be proven.

If someone makes a good wine but irrigates then so be it. If they make good wine and don't irrigate then that's fine too.

Remember that putting wine in a bottle is manipulation. Is a wine that just flows into your mouth from a crushed grape more true to terroir? Maybe, but it's also a pain in the #$^#.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The more time goes on the more I just want to judge by what's in the bottle, and not deal with philosophical arguments that can almost never be proven.

If someone makes a good wine but irrigates then so be it. If they make good wine and don't irrigate then that's fine too.

Remember that putting wine in a bottle is manipulation. Is a wine that just flows into your mouth from a crushed grape more true to terroir? Maybe, but it's also a pain in the #$^#.

Thanks for nipping this discussion in the bud. I'm so tired of never ending threads pertaining to aspects of terroir that go nowhere. :lol:
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:32 pm

TomHill wrote:Interesting & informative article in today's SFChron by Alice Feiring on vineyard irragation, pros & cons.

This was both interesting and informative. Thanks for posting it.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwwww, Lou...

by TomHill » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:14 am

Lou Kessler wrote:Thanks for nipping this discussion in the bud. I'm so tired of never ending threads pertaining to aspects of terroir that go nowhere. :lol:

Awwwww, Lou
Don't be such a cantankerous curmudgeon. This is gonna be the thread that resolves the terrior discussion once & for all. Then we can talk more serious matters...like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin!!! :-)
Tom
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:50 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:The more time goes on the more I just want to judge by what's in the bottle, and not deal with philosophical arguments that can almost never be proven.

Thanks for nipping this discussion in the bud. I'm so tired of never ending threads pertaining to aspects of terroir that go nowhere. :lol:

I dunno. I just like to know how something is made and what's going into it. The more I know, the better I can guesstimate what's in the bottle. It's not really philosophical to me. I mean whether you put onions and garlic into your tomato sauce or just onions or just garlic is a technical and maybe philosophical question for the chef. For me, Mr. Caveat-Emptoring Consumer, it helps me judge what to expect. If I find I'm partial to certain wines made with certain practices, either in the vineyard or in the winery, then I'm glad to discover that information before I buy. And, although the concept of terroir may be transcendental to some, to me the discussion of it is more fundamentally a simple indicator of method which may or may not be helpful in guiding my purchases when I am on terra incognita.

Anyway, after knocking down a couple of bottles of wine, what else would you want to talk about? Women? Cars? Politics? Religion?
And now what?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:02 pm

Anyway, after knocking down a couple of bottles of wine, what else would you want to talk about? Women? Cars? Politics? Religion?

Sure, all of the above.

And Higg's bosons too, of course.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:

I dunno. I just like to know how something is made and what's going into it. The more I know, the better I can guesstimate what's in the bottle.

I like knowing how a wine was made, but the "my way is the true way to terroir" discussions have worn me out. That was my point.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:50 pm

Irrigation is allowed in Austria which, in my mind, provides some fabulous terroir driven wines.