The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

In praise of bubbles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

In praise of bubbles

by Lizbeth S » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:03 pm

I will admit that until last weekend, I never understood people's love of champagne/sparking wine. Most likely because (and I'm kind of ashamed to admit this) the only sparklers I have ever tasted were super cheap ones served at midnight on New Years Eve. But last Saturday I graduated (yay!) from law school, and a few people gave me good bottles of champagne. One was Taittinger Brut and it pretty quickly changed my whole outlook on champagne. The bubbles were super fine, and it tasted nicely citrus-y, with a bit of peach and some toast thrown in at the end. Later that night, my family went out to eat at a restaurant where a good friend is the manager and he gave us a free bottle of champagne. I'm not sure what it was, but it was even better!

I will definitely be exploring the world of sparklers now. :D
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: In praise of bubbles

by David Creighton » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:57 pm

congrats on the graduation
1. from law school
2. from the cheap stuff to the good stuff. i agree about champagne.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:28 pm

I found that most people who say they don't like champagne (lower case "c") have never had Champagne. :roll:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Congratulations on your graduation. You have also learned that it really isn't possible to get a real appreciation of the possibilities of wine from the super cheap stuff in the supermarket. One of the most fun things of my entire years of drinking wine is having the priviledge of introducing "real" wine to some people who simply never had the opportunity previously. Case in point... my current sig other .... when I met her she drank an occaisional glass of generic pinot grigio.... not good pinot grigio at that. We have come a long way. We now explore burgundies. A few weeks ago I gave her a glass of a pretty good bordeaux and she said "That's pretty good." This from a woman that wouldn't dream of drinking red wine previously. She accuses me of spoiling her because she just doesn't enjoy the not so good wines any more.

Keep exploring...there are lots of great wine out there and a lot of it isn't all that expensive.

Want to try a good champagne that tastes a lot more expensive than it costs.... try Henriot.... nice bottle for the price.

Good Luck,
Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:41 pm

mmmm bubbles.

Congrats on Law School and bubbles. I love bubbles. There are some very good ones that do not cost a fortune. Others on this board have way more experience with this than I and can provide you with the specifics.
Howard
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Congratulations on graduating from law school!

Now you will be better able to pick a truly memorable Champagne to celebrate passing the Bar!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:02 pm

In addition to my previous post I'd also like to add congratulations. Regarding bubblies, last summer, at MOCOOL, I had the great pleasure of tasting several 16-year old Champagnes. Good Champagne is great, but well-aged Champagnes are something else again.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:47 pm

Congratulations on graduating from law school, Lizbeth. I hope you find the profession as personally rewarding as I did.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:11 pm

Enjoy the Bubbles! Congratulations on the Law School graduation and good luck with the Bar Exam!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.