The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: nice QPR wines- Beaujolais, GV, Freisa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: nice QPR wines- Beaujolais, GV, Freisa

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:34 pm

Tuesday we had Betsy's niece and nephew doing a sleepover, and we grilled salmon, squash, and eggplant, served along with some leftover potato salad and a bottle of the 2005 JP Brun (Terres Dorees) Cote de Brouilly. Red cherry and strawberry fruit, good acidity, a bit tannic, seems tight and a little short. But wait....after dinner on Wednesday I revisit. Wow! Black cherries, cocoa, earth. Much deeper fruit, good length, you could have handed me a glass and said "Chambolle" and I would have happily believed you. B/B-on night one, A-/B+ on night 2.

Wednesday I had a volunteer no-show for an evening run to city; no choice but to go myself. Betsy offered to go with me, but that would have meant her missing seeing Dave leave for prom. So she fixed dinner of pork tenderloin, mushrooms and a quinoa/kale mix; for cooking wine and dinner she used another bottle of the 2004 Geyerhof "Rosensteig" Grüner Veltliner (Kremstal). I had a glass on return with my reheated plate- pleasant if unexciting high-acid GV. Reminds me a bit of Muscadet, actually. B-, but at $5 a good value. WOTN was of course the couple glasses of the leftover Beaujolais.

Thursday we had a family dinner. Wednesday's pork was the return of Betsy to the Sonoma Diet (she doesn't really need it, I'm probably twice her weight- ok, so I need it). Thursday she went with a grilled tuna salad, the tuna over white beans, greens, etc. On a warm spring night outdoors, I I thought of another Beaujolais or maybe Provencal rose, but instead went light Italian, the 2005 Borgogno Freisa d'Asti . Red strawberry fruit, light and bouncy, fun and easy wine for I think $12ish. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency