The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bruce is impressed by a new (to him) cork remover

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Bruce is impressed by a new (to him) cork remover

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:23 pm

Okay, I know this will likely be old news to everyone else, but last night, for the first time, I used what is called an "Ah So" cork remover and, the day after, I am still mightily impressed.

I usually use the "wing type" of cork remover and, for the vast majority of corks, that works just fine. Last night I had a very stubborn cork and I am always afraid of putting too much pressure on the wings and having them snap, as has happened a few times.

I then tried the waiter's friend and that didn't work.

So, I pulled out my Ah So that I had purchased several weeks ago for only a few bucks. My wife doubted that it would be able to do much, since it is just a small handle, with two thin strips of metal.

Pushed the two strips of metal into the neck against the cork, gave it a slow turn and, wow, it lifted out like nothing.

Doesn't take much to impress me and, yes, I am impressed. :D
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Bruce is impressed by a new (to him) cork remover

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:01 pm

I've got one of those and do not use if very often. It is one of four different type of cork removers sitting in the drawer. I use the Ah-so and a CO2-based cork remover only when needed, and they both do the job when the others simply cannot handle it for some reason. It sure is nice having them around.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:19 pm

Link please....?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:43 pm

Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Thanks Bob, although this tutorial looks much more complicated and time consuming than my experience. :shock:
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yes & Know....

by TomHill » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:11 am

I've had the AhSo in my arsenal of tools for many a year, by crackey.
I use it mostly as a backup for my LeverPull, my corkscrew of choice. Sometimes, the AhSo can abrade the cork going in and leave little bits&pieces of cork floating in the wine (small thing). Occasionally, the cork will be loose enough in the neck of the btl it can push the cork into the btl (bigger problem). Sometimes, when the wine has some age on it and the cork is a bit crumbly and the corkscrew starts to rip a hole in the cork, the AhSo is helpfull in breaking the cork/btl neck seal and getting the cork out. And w/ some of the artifical plastic (the SupremeCorq in particular) and hard/composite corks, the AhSo can require an Herculean effort to get in.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:16 am

I've actually had two break on me while extracting a cork. I got cut in the finger in the process. Yet I still do like to use them when a cork snaps below the lip of the bottle.

And, FWIW, they are not suitable replacements for a jaw harp. I have the chipped tooth to prove it.
And now what?