The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc To Kalon Reserve Napa Valley California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2001 Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc To Kalon Reserve Napa Valley California.

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:20 pm

2001 Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc To Kalon Reserve Napa Valley California. Andrea Robinson Wine Club $35.

Pale yellow color, clear hue, complex layers of aroma and taste including sweet citrus, honey, caramels and much much more, medium mouth feel, long finish. This is a wine that rewards lots of swirling and lots of time in the glass. Delicious and eye opening; I've had a vague contempt for this wine -- and I'm not sure what basis I've ever had for holding that opinion. 4*.

Andrea's Notes:

Mondavi makes the Reserve designation really mean something. In this case, it means a very special bottling made from the oldest Sauvignon Blanc vines in North America, grown in the historic To Kalon vineyard just adjacent to the winery itself. The result is, in my opinion, one of the best white wines of Napa Valley. Yet the wine, in both name and style, takes its inspiration from France. First the name: As the story goes, Robert Mondavi in the late 1960s wanted to make a Sauvignon Blanc-based wine not in the sweet style that was fashionable at the time, but rather in the dry style he'd tasted while visiting France. In coming up with a name that would signal this style difference to the marketplace, he looked to France's Loire Valley, whose dry Sauvignon Blancs were called "blanc fume." With a simple switcheroo of the sequence, he had the name Fume Blanc, which is now broadly used in America for Sauvignon Blancs whose style is modeled on French white Bordeaux. What that means is the wines are fermented and aged in small French oak barrels, and typically have a proportion of the white grape Semillon blended in. To my taste this Reserve bottling easily competes with some of the best classified Chateau whites of the Graves district in Bordeaux, France. Although it is delicious now, I do believe it will age as well as a top French white Bordeaux. I wouldn't hesitate to cellar this wine, which already has some bottle age, another 3 years or so.

With bottle age this style of wine takes on buttermilk, mushroom, cream, toffee and honey notes, and some of these characteristics are just starting to creep in to the scent, enhancing the still-youthful vibrancy. The complexity of scents and flavors of this wine are really worth some extra attention. I put it in a large stem, swirl it a lot and even let it warm up a bit in the glass to get at all the layers. There are juicy flavors of pineapple, Meyer lemon and lemon curd, as well as a toasty, caramelized taste (more in the finish) from the oak barrel aging. The scent is very layered, especially if you nurse your glass over an hour or so: lemon grass/lemon verbena, tarragon, vanilla, lemon poundcake, honey, and a waxy-lanolin note are just some of the scents I got.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2001 Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc To Kalon Reserve Napa Valley California.

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:58 pm

Wow. I've driven or bicycled past Mondavi so many times. I'm scared of their reputation for over-oaking their reds, but first WineTV, now this note. I should make a stop next weekend!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2001 Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc To Kalon Reserve Napa Valley California.

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:05 am

Bob Ross wrote:especially if you nurse your glass over an hour or so

Must be a big glass :wink:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:06 am

Interesting note. But what is the Andrea Robinson Wine Club? Could you not buy this in regular retail outlets or from the winery?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 2001 Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc To Kalon Reserve Napa Valley Califor

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:47 am

Sure could. Robinson ships three different wines a month for $80 -- I subscribed for several months just to see what wines she found interesting.

The wines were all very good, or better, and she attached very interesting wine histories and recipes, but I canceled -- they ship by FedEx and the local office is a pain to deal with.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:12 am

Bob Ross wrote:Robinson ships three different wines a month for $80...The wines were all very good, or better, and she attached very interesting wine histories and recipes...

Interesting. So the selection, histories, and recipes were her "value added"? Do you know how her prices compared to average retail prices?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:37 am

It varies. Usually, with case discounts, I can beat her prices by 10 to 15% or so.

Two other values added: she is exposed to a large number of very interesting wines, and most of what she offers is low production stuff.

And, this Fume Blanc is a good example: she tastes and reports on stuff as she sees it. I've read her books, practiced her approach to tasting several times, and took her three day intensive course. As a fan, I trust her palate -- would never have thought to try this wine except it showed up in the April shipment.

It's fun to read her tasting notes -- in person, she is very intense when tasting, starts very simply with her descriptors, then adds complexity. An excellent teacher -- it amazes me that she can give this course to thousands of students every year, and still be so fresh and interesting. And, as Brad Kane once told me, "she knows her stuff."

A little stronger than three other wine clubs I've tried over the years. One negative: shipping to New Jersey adds about $12 a bottle so if I find the wine locally or drive to NYC to shop, her wines run 25% more than competition. But most of the wines aren't easily available elsewhere, and she covers the world.