The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

wtn: Birthday Party and Cali Cabs. (Solo and Clos Pegase)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

wtn: Birthday Party and Cali Cabs. (Solo and Clos Pegase)

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:12 pm

A friend was celebrating her birthday, so another friend invited me to attend. Wine was consumed with a nice, thick New York Strip Steak and mashers. Both wines were too breifly decanted. The Clos Pegase threw a lot of fine sediment in the filter.

2001 Clos Pegase "Graveyard Hill" 2001 Carneros Cabernet Sauvigon(given that she is one year closer to her grave, I though this was appropriate :twisted: ). A lovely, lovely wine that really demonstrates its subappellation/terroir. Reddish black in color, with lovely nose of black and red cherries. Still somehwat primary-I think I drunk this baby about five years too soon. Nonetheless, :)

Quite lean and more to the red fruit side of Napa Cabs, but this wine nicely avoids the green-ness that I am growing to dislike. Fruit forward in the palette, but not a jam bomb. Just a hint of tobacco-this wine will be lovely. As it sat in my glass, it really began opening up and becoming richer with more secondary flavors of leather and tobacco. What I really enjoyed in this wine was the fuzziness of the very fine tannins-the mouth feel was awesome! Alas, they were running very low on the day I bought it, and as Wine Enthusiast gave it a "96" I'm sure it's long gone :( **** with upside potential.

2002 Silverado Vineyards "Solo" Cabernet Sauvigon (as our friend is flying solo, these days :cry: ) Again drank too young, but again delicious. Inky purple black in the glass. Somewhat reticent nose-is it closed a bit? Nonetheless, this is a SMOOOOOTTTTTTHHHHH Rutherford Cab with black and urple fruits nicely showing. Not a lot of secondary flavors showing, this may be another five year wait wine. A very elegant, balanced wine-I prefer Silverado's more judicious and balanced use of oak to that of their more well-known neighbor, Pine Ridge. A ***/***1/2 wine. Not cheap, but delicious.

Saturday day,
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach