The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rolling eyes dept.: Supermodel sips "nasty" wine to look sexy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Rolling eyes dept.: Supermodel sips "nasty" wine to look sexy

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:17 am

There seems to be a strong prohibitionist element in India ... this celebrity news item from DailyIndia.com offers an offbeat perspective on wine.

Tyra Banks sips 'nasty' wine just to look 'sexy'!
From our ANI Correspondent

Washington, June 4: Retired supermodel Tyra Banks insists that she does not relish booze or drugs, but just holds a wine glass because that makes her feel 'sexy'.The America's Next Top Model hostess/judge revealed in a personal web posting that although wine tastes 'nasty, to her, she orders it and keeps holding the glass to look 'sexy'.

"So, every now and then I'll order some wine at the table. I'll only take two sips, but I'll keep holding the glass cause it makes me feel sexy, but I still don't drink it because it still tastes kind of nasty to me," Hollywood Rag quoted Banks, as telling the website.

The 33-year-old recently learned various mixes with wine to make it taste better.

"I recently went to Napa, California, and I learned how to pair wines with certain tastes, how red wine tastes good with salt and bitter things like lemon," she said.

With so many celebs entering rehab, one thing for Banks to feel 'lucky' about is that she does not have much liking for alcohol.

Full story in DailyIndia.com
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Rolling eyes dept.: Supermodel sips "nasty" wine to look sexy

by Paul B. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:26 am

I'll be the first to risk a reply ... :lol:

The wisest thing to do about something like this, it seems, would be to roll one's eyes a few times and just tune it out. Of course, there are various reasons why people get "into" wine: most of us here are passionately interested in the intricacies of wine, though many others (if not indeed "the masses") are not, and image - even something as inane as how thinks one may look while holding a wine glass - is more important. I think we're dealing with two very distinct motivations there.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:27 am

I..... well. I just have no response to this.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:51 am

Robin, isn't it possible that Banks has a genetic reason for not liking alcohol?

She's expressed an aversion to alcohol all through her career, primarily because she doesn't like the taste.

Just asking ...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:02 am

Bob Ross wrote:Robin, isn't it possible that Banks has a genetic reason for not liking alcohol?

She's expressed an aversion to alcohol all through her career, primarily because she doesn't like the taste.

Just asking ...

No clue, Bob, but if that's so, then where's the story here? And why didn't she mention it in the interview?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:05 am

Bob Ross wrote:She's expressed an aversion to alcohol all through her career...

Aha. You seem quite knowledgeable about Tyra Banks' career. You must have other hobbies besides just wine :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:15 am

First black model to appear on the cover of SI's swim suit issue, Rahsaan.

I was interested in the Yankee gossip in that issue, of course. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:19 am

"No clue, Bob, but if that's so, then where's the story here? And why didn't she mention it in the interview?"

She's not acting as a Prohibitionist. Can you imagine Cary Nation sipping on a Scotch at a rally?

The story is that she sips on wine even though she doesn't like it to fit in with folks -- and feel good about herself. How does that discourage anyone from drinking alcohol?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:35 am

Bob Ross wrote:The story is that she sips on wine even though she doesn't like it to fit in with folks -- and feel good about herself. How does that discourage anyone from drinking alcohol?

Hmm, Bob, just one of those intuition things, I guess. The repeated use of "nasty" to describe the taste of wine, both by the model and the reporter ... the talk about mixing other beverages in to disguise the bad flavor. The talk of addiction and rehab, and her pleasure in asserting (and the reporter repeating) that she's not an "alcohol girl" or a "drug girl."

I guess it was all that stuff that made me realize I wasn't reading the Wine Spectator. (And, from some of my news feeds, recognition that there's a sub-stream in Indian feature news that seems rather anti-alcohol.)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:33 pm

Oh, the anti-alcohol movement in India is alive and well. Our guide when we visited two years ago gave us a little summary of a variety of Indian beliefs. Here's what he passed around on the subject; I've lost the reference -- UN committee on Third World countries if I remember correctly:

Abstinence from alcohol is a value which is deeply rooted in Indian culture and religion, and as such is the only approach to drinking that could be called "sensible" in this country. Hinduism has the largest following in India, and in the Hindu scriptures drinking is referred to as one of the five heinous crimes, which include murder and adultery. According to the laws of Manu it is a sin to consume alcohol, and the only way to atone for it is to have the image of a liquor bottle branded on your forehead. The ancient Tamil poet, Thiruvalluvar, whose work entitled THIRUKURAL offers some foundations for ethical values in society, also condemns alcohol, calling it a social evil and equating a drunkard to a dead body.

The Indian Constitution strongly endorses the principle of prohibition, a concept that was first introduced by Mahatma Gandhi, and total prohibition throughout India was imposed in 1977. It only lasted for two years but the State of Tamil Nadu was "dry" for a total of 23 years, and the State of Gujarat still is. In addition, some states have partial prohibition in the form of a ban on "country liquor". Even today it appears that most Indian women favour total prohibition, and politicians often advocate some form of it to win their vote.

It is illegal to advertise alcoholic beverages in India, and they do not have a cultural role to play in religious and social activities. Thus it could be said that there is quite a strong "supportive environment" for abstinence here. The modern trend towards serving alcohol at parties reflects the influence of Western culture and is limited to small pockets in urban areas. The large majority of Indians still live in the villages. Furthermore, annual per capita income in India is less than US$ 160, which means that alcohol is a luxury few can afford. For most, it can only be bought at the expense of basic necessities.

Not surprisingly for a country in which the doctor-patient ratio is 1 to 2310, the health services are focused on providing bare essentials such as immunization. When questions of alcohol consumption do arise, the answer is usually simple: "Don't drink". Religiously, culturally, socially and economically it is the only answer that makes sense. In other words, for an average Indian abstinence in not a matter of choice but an imperative.-- Shanthi Ranganathan

I agree with your intuition -- well founded given Indian culture and beliefs as I understand them.

I was very happy to be some of those "urban pockets" where Indian wines were on offer, and were awfully, surprisingly, good, as I believe I reported here.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:53 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Oh, the anti-alcohol movement in India is alive and well. Our guide when we visited two years ago gave us a little summary of a variety of Indian beliefs. Here's what he passed around on the subject; I've lost the reference -- UN committee on Third World countries if I remember correctly:

Abstinence from alcohol is a value which is deeply rooted in Indian culture and religion, and as such is the only approach to drinking that could be called "sensible" in this country. Hinduism has the largest following in India, and in the Hindu scriptures drinking is referred to as one of the five heinous crimes, which include murder and adultery. According to the laws of Manu it is a sin to consume alcohol, and the only way to atone for it is to have the image of a liquor bottle branded on your forehead. The ancient Tamil poet, Thiruvalluvar, whose work entitled THIRUKURAL offers some foundations for ethical values in society, also condemns alcohol, calling it a social evil and equating a drunkard to a dead body.

The Indian Constitution strongly endorses the principle of prohibition, a concept that was first introduced by Mahatma Gandhi, and total prohibition throughout India was imposed in 1977. It only lasted for two years but the State of Tamil Nadu was "dry" for a total of 23 years, and the State of Gujarat still is. In addition, some states have partial prohibition in the form of a ban on "country liquor". Even today it appears that most Indian women favour total prohibition, and politicians often advocate some form of it to win their vote.

It is illegal to advertise alcoholic beverages in India, and they do not have a cultural role to play in religious and social activities. Thus it could be said that there is quite a strong "supportive environment" for abstinence here. The modern trend towards serving alcohol at parties reflects the influence of Western culture and is limited to small pockets in urban areas. The large majority of Indians still live in the villages. Furthermore, annual per capita income in India is less than US$ 160, which means that alcohol is a luxury few can afford. For most, it can only be bought at the expense of basic necessities.

Not surprisingly for a country in which the doctor-patient ratio is 1 to 2310, the health services are focused on providing bare essentials such as immunization. When questions of alcohol consumption do arise, the answer is usually simple: "Don't drink". Religiously, culturally, socially and economically it is the only answer that makes sense. In other words, for an average Indian abstinence in not a matter of choice but an imperative.-- Shanthi Ranganathan

I agree with your intuition -- well founded given Indian culture and beliefs as I understand them.

I was very happy to be some of those "urban pockets" where Indian wines were on offer, and were awfully, surprisingly, good, as I believe I reported here.

Regards, Bob

Always amazes me how feeble the religion argument against alcohol really is, especially when those same religious texts that forbid killing don't seem to matter much along the Indian border with Pakistan.

I remember a while back a friend of mine, who is gay, found himself a new fellow. After realizing he was gay, my friend's new beau had divorced his wife and then entered into his first homosexual relationship. He was also a Mormon.

We sat at dinner in a restaurant once--the two guys, my wife and I. When the waiter came to take the wine order, the Mormon asked him to take away his wine glass because he would not be having any. Then he turned to my wife and me and said, "We Mormons don't drink alcohol."

I withheld saying what was too obvious and too damned easy to point out about what his religion might think of his new relationship...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

My CarrieNation Story...

by TomHill » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:59 pm

Bob Ross wrote:She's not acting as a Prohibitionist. Can you imagine Cary Nation sipping on a Scotch at a rally?

Some 20 yrs ago or so, my kids & I were driving back from LosAlamos to KansasCity to see family. As I was wont to do, I was hauling a small stash of wine to share w/ friends.
As w/ drove thru MedicineLodge, KS; birth place of CarrieNation, where her birth home has been made into a museum to celebrate her life; where I've never seen any tourists venturing forth; I had this great idea for a photo.
We pulled up in front of the home/museum, I got up and lined a btl of Nalle, Ridge, and Renwood Zins atop the sign in front proclaiming the CarrieNation birth house. Just as my daughter snapped the photo, the front door of the museum was thrown open and this little ol' lady in a blue gingham dress & an apron, her hair up in a thight little bun, came storming out and proceeded to scold me severly for desecrating Carrie's birth home. I grabbed the btls afore she could do any damage and beat a hasty retreat to the car & stashed them out of her reach. My poor daughter was left standing there to defend herself & feeling a bit bewildered, never have seem an irate old lady before. We headed off down the road in hasty retreat.
About 5 miles outside of town, shore enuf, a sherriff's car, lights aflashing, came roaring up out of the West & pulled me over. He sternly lectured me that he had a complaint from Miss Webster about my tresspassing on the property and that I was never to stop in MedicineLodge again.
To this day, my daughter gives me a hard time for abandoning her at CarrieNation's.
Tom
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:25 pm

Furthermore, annual per capita income in India is less than US$ 160, which means that alcohol is a luxury few can afford. For most, it can only be bought at the expense of basic necessities.

Ahhh, but that doesn't mean they don't still buy it. Witness a study on what the poorest of the poor who live below the dollar-a-day standard that was recently summarized in the Economist:

Mr Banerjee and Ms Duflo describe the “economic lives” of the poor, drawing on 13 household surveys from Côte d'Ivoire to Mexico. The two surveys from India—undertaken in Udaipur's farms and Hyderabad's slums—they carried out themselves. [snip] A dollar a day would seem to leave little room for choice or discretion. Hunger is surely the most binding of constraints. And yet these pillages of privacy show that the poor do make choices. They also suggest they are not always the best ones. [snip] And yet they do not eat as much as they could. According to Mr Banerjee and Ms Duflo, the typical poor household in Udaipur could spend up to 30% more on food than it does, if only it stopped devoting money to alcohol, tobacco and festivals.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:26 pm

I had no clue that Hinduism had anything particular to say about alcohol - that's news to me. I know it's a different religion, but here in Toronto I frequently see Sikhs at the LCBO, and usually they have beer or liquor in their baskets, more rarely wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:27 pm

Sikhs aren't Hindu, Paul.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: My CarrieNation Story...

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:35 pm

"I was hauling a small stash of wine to share w/ friends."

In a U-Haul, Tom? :)

Great, great story, well told. I'll remember that cop for a long time. :D
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:36 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Sikhs aren't Hindu, Paul.

I'm well aware of it:

Paul B. wrote:I know it's a different religion, but ...

Still, they are largely from India.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:44 pm

Just for your information, if I recall correctly Sikhism does require one to abstain from alcohol. I think I saw a study once that among South Asians abroad, Sikhs nonetheless report higher levels of alcohol consumption (particularly among men) than do Hindus or Muslims. Not sure if there is a similar disparity in South Asia.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:47 pm

Sorry, Paul, read your post too quickly.

The Sikh Code of Conduct states, "A Sikh must not take hemp, opium, liquor, tobacco, or any intoxicant." At the time of initiation, a Sikh vows not to use any intoxicant.

[There's a Sikh Temple nearby in Glen Rock -- interesting religion and folks are very willing to talk about its principles. I'll ask next time I stop by how prevalent alcohol is.]

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:10 pm

"Ahhh, but that doesn't mean they don't still buy it. Witness a study on what the poorest of the poor who live below the dollar-a-day standard that was recently summarized in the Economist:"

A very common practice among poor people around the world, Keith. McCourt's Angela's Ashes is a vivid telling of the behaviour. McCourt makes it clear that money went for booze rather than for food for the family; the symbolism of two pints on the child's white coffin makes the point that McCourt's addiction may have killed the child.

This same practice may explain why women in India, in particular, are reportedly anti-alcohol.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Tyra Banks sips 'nasty' wine just to look 'sexy'!
From our ANI Correspondent

Its working.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:29 pm

I do look pretty damned handsome sipping a glass of wine. You'll just have to take my word for it. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:39 pm

I do look pretty damned handsome sipping a glass of wine.

And you get better looking with every glass, no doubt...ahem.

So did you hear about the supermodel who got a new cell phone from her boyfriend?

She decided to go to Walmart to pick up a few things. As she was shopping, her cell phone rang. "Hello," she said.

"Well I see the new cell phone is working okay," said the boyfriend.

"Yes, it is," she said. "But I'm puzzled -- how did you know I was at Walmart?" :roll: :roll: :roll: