The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tuscans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Tuscans

by Saina » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:16 pm

Today morning we had a little walkabout tasting. I first went to taste Riccardo Camponati's wines, Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie. They practice organic methods yet aren't (yet) certified.

Le Ragnaie Rosso di Montalcino 2004 sees some big and small oak casks, both new and old, for 17months. It has some nice red berry scents and loam/earth and sandalwood, yet also the new (and small?) barrels is a little in evidence. It is ripe, beautifully structured with much ripe tannin and mouthwatering acidity. This seems a much more structured Rosso than most.

Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino 2001 is only in used oak vats (no Barrique). The nose is lovely: pure and elegant with some forest floor and sandalwood, yet it isn't a strictly traditionally styled Brunello. The palate has lovely structure. I like it.

Montenidoli of Maria Elisabetta Fagiuoli was my next stop. I first tried their Vernaccia Fiore 2005 which is the free-run must that ferments slowly on lees. The scent is fresh and leesy; it is light and refreshing and nicely acidic: a charming wine.

We then tasted her Il Templare IGT 2003 which is Vernaccia, Trebbiano Gentile and Malvasia Bianca. Though aged in old Barriques, it is the Barrique which I can smell. The palate is a bit flabby because the acidity is on the low side and fruit is a bit on the high side. Not a success.

Her Il Templare IGT 2001 is, however, much to my taste. Here, the Barrique doesn't disturb: it is refreshing, powerful yet acidic - a personal and rather interesting white.

Vernaccia di Carato 2003 is aged in Barrique (some new): nutty, too oaky, flabby and acidless. Not to my taste.

Sono Montenidoli IGT 2001 is 100%Sangio: jammy nose, red berried. The palate is much drier than the scent led me to believe with much tannins and savoury red toned fruit. There is a strange stylistic rift between the nose and the palate.

I continued to taste Villa Chiarini Wulf Allegro 2005 which is a rather strange blend of Incrocio Manzoni (Riesling x Pinot Bianco) 40%, Treb 50%, Malv 10%. Incrocio Manzoni is a pet project with winemaker. I really enjoyed this wine: it is floral and citrussy yet isn't unctuous despite its fruit and sweet strawberry scents. The palate is full bodied yet light on its feet because of good acidity. It has a rather delightful bitter finish and is even a touch tannic. Impressive! Ex-cellar price is 3,5€ - I'd buy a case at that price.

La Carletta Morellino di Scansano 2005 was a fair little little: cherry and nut nose, bright palate.

Tenuta di Sesta Rosso di Montalcino 2005 had warm fruit, seemed to be from a warmer area of Montalcino, but was light on its feet and bright and cherried. A nice, simple drink.

Podere le Bèrne was next up with their Rosso di Montepulciano 2005 which was cherried and loamy with bright fruit and mouthcleansing structure. Nice if a touch simple.

Their Vino Nobile di Montipulciano 2004 has 40% Barrique and it shows. Well made, but the oak is too dominant for my tastes. VNdM '03 was better to my tastes despite the lower acidity, because the fruit wasn't raisiny but handled the oak better. The VNdM Riserva 2003 was massively oaky and I wasn't able to enjoy it.

Castello di Cacchiano had a lovely line-up of Chiantis that were pure and seemed earth, not fruit or oak driven. The Rosso di Castello di Cacchiano 2004 was loamy and red toned, savoury and structured and earthy and was a delight despite the finish being terribly short. I'll forgive this, as aromatically this was so much to my taste.

Their Chianti Classico 2004 was charming also: big boned, and juicily fruity, yet savoury and earthy and bright and refreshing. Nice!

CC Riserva 2003 is a success for the year. It is a touch raisiny and roasted, but that hasn't destroyed the bright red toned fruit. The palate surprisingly retains some acidity, and the tannins aren't abrasive and the fruit isn't as ripe as the nose would suggest. I won't rush out and buy some, but I'll be happy to drink this if someone serves me a glass.

Vin Santo del CC 2000 is nutty, floral and oxidised; very concentrated and sweet, yet acidic and refreshing. Nice!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.