The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine serving temperature

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Lumpkin

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:33 pm

Denver, CO

Wine serving temperature

by Andrew Lumpkin » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Hello all,

I own a new company called Nuvo Vino. One of the things we've been working on is a comprehensive database of recommended serving temperatures of wine.

Check out http://nuvovino.com/temperature . There are over 400 wine types all with brief descriptions. It's fun for any wine lover.

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions as this is all a work in progress.

Thanks,

Andrew
The same red wine will taste 'hot and thin at 22° C, supple and fluid at 18° C, full and astringent at 10° C." Emile Peynaud was a Legendary Bordeaux Oenologist and author of The Taste of Wine. (2nd edn. New York, 1996). "
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Wine serving temperature

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:05 pm

Andrew, that is quite a nice job done on your web site. Welcome to the WLDG, we hope you will stay around and talk wine with us.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Andrew Lumpkin

Rank

Just got here

Denver, CO

by Andrew Lumpkin » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Thank you, Bob. I look forward to spending time with you all on my ever-accelerating wine journey!
The same red wine will taste 'hot and thin at 22° C, supple and fluid at 18° C, full and astringent at 10° C." Emile Peynaud was a Legendary Bordeaux Oenologist and author of The Taste of Wine. (2nd edn. New York, 1996). "
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:16 am

That's a very nice piece of software, but I have a few comments. Auxerrois, as Robin's newsletter this week points out, is a red. You should specify Auxerrois Blanc. Also, it seems difficult to navigate. If I'm in the Fahrenheit temperature under whites, for instance, every time I try to go to a different temperature, the wine variety list resets itself to the top of alphabetical order, making it very difficult to find something lower on the list, such as Riesling. I'm using Firefox - if that makes a difference.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Andrew Lumpkin

Rank

Just got here

Denver, CO

by Andrew Lumpkin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:01 am

Howie,

I certainly appreciate your comments. I agree, it needs to be easier to navigate. I am planning to do a revision that will allow easier navigation by wine, not just by temperature. Currently, the easiest way to search the database is to use the search field for a specific wine. You can mouse over for the description. Don't worry though, we'll get it more intuitive soon.

In regards to Auxerrois, that's a tough wine to nail down. It is a red variety (which I will add to the database tomorrow) from Cahors and an important white variety from Alsace used mainly as a blending grape. Pinot Gris from Alsace is often called Auxerrois Gris and Moselle Chadonnay used to be called Auxerrois Blanc, differing from Auxerrois Blanc de Laquenexy, which is the variety known today as Auxerrois in north east France and Luxembourg. I'm confused!!

Oh wait, one other thing, Auxerrois enjoyed fame in the 80s when South African Chardonnay clippings turned out to be Auxerrois.

So ... I'll try to clarify a bit on my site tomorrow.

Cheers and good night,

Andrew