The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NY Times Outs the Wine Geeks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: NY Times Outs the Wine Geeks

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:15 pm

K Story wrote:
Dan Smothergill wrote:
pointed opinions, tenaciously held and contentiously delivered, usually with all the subtlety of a Molotov cocktail through a window.

What has he been drinking/smoking? This describes about 1% of what I see (and, OK, 2% of what I post) on WLDG.

Yeah, he must have been referring to Wine Therapy because WLDG is really mild for the most part. My husband, who posts on several non-wine related forums, said once with disdain that WLDG is a big "love-fest".

Personally, that's what I like about it :)

Dammit, if this is a lovefest I'm going over to Therapy! (Like they want me?! :D ) Let's get over this crap and throw some molotov cocktails. Can we talk about terrior or natural corks or something? :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:32 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Dammit, if this is a lovefest I'm going over to Therapy! (Like they want me?! :D ) Let's get over this crap and throw some molotov cocktails. Can we talk about terrior or natural corks or something? :roll:

Are molotov cocktails anything like wine spritzers?
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:46 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Dammit, if this is a lovefest I'm going over to Therapy! (Like they want me?! :D ) Let's get over this crap and throw some molotov cocktails. Can we talk about terrior or natural corks or something? :roll:

Are molotov cocktails anything like wine spritzers?
Best, Jim

I hope not! Geez, what is the world coming to? or is it too?
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:05 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Are molotov cocktails anything like wine spritzers?

Hmm, haven't had a wine spritzer since I don't know when. My last Molotov cocktail TN read something like, "Intense petrol on the nose, hot on the palate..."
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Let's see, people talking about a person talking about people talking about wine (or is it people talking about a person talking about people talking about people talking about wine?). Yaaaawwwwwnnn.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Let's see, people talking about a person talking about people talking about wine (or is it people talking about a person talking about people talking about people talking about wine?). Yaaaawwwwwnnn.

Are you bored or confused? I think I am confused, but that rarely stops me from spouting off.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:31 am

Jenise wrote:
He alludes briefly to CompuServe and Prodigy without, apparently, understanding that this forum's original roots are in CompuServe and eBob's on Prodigy.

Robin, I'm surprised by your nit. Maybe he does understand but didn't think it worth mentioning? For the purposes of his article, I think he got it right: regardless of the players, wine internet discussion started on Compuserve and Prodigy, and now WLDG is one of the best forums available.

No, Jenise, that isn't quite accurate. Firstly, neither Compuserve or Prodigy was part of the Internet in those days: they were dial-up BBS services, more or less, which only much later added Internet access to their services. Secondly, the Internet's original wine discussion forum was net.wines, a Usenet newsgroup that got its start in '83, about the same time that the Internet did. Net.wines became rec.food.drink in the "Great Renaming" of '86 and though a rash decision later had its wine traffic rerouted to alt.food.wine, which dates to '94. Google's archives still have some of the early articles from net.wines and its later successors.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:42 am

Good corrections, Mark. You're right. Still don't think Asimov's failure to detail the history of how we got from there to here was relevant to his purpose, though, to people other than the pioneers of that time, of which of course Robin was one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:31 am

James Roscoe wrote:
K Story wrote:
Dan Smothergill wrote:
pointed opinions, tenaciously held and contentiously delivered, usually with all the subtlety of a Molotov cocktail through a window.

What has he been drinking/smoking? This describes about 1% of what I see (and, OK, 2% of what I post) on WLDG.

Yeah, he must have been referring to Wine Therapy because WLDG is really mild for the most part. My husband, who posts on several non-wine related forums, said once with disdain that WLDG is a big "love-fest".

Personally, that's what I like about it :)

Dammit, if this is a lovefest I'm going over to Therapy! (Like they want me?! :D ) Let's get over this crap and throw some molotov cocktails. Can we talk about terrior or natural corks or something? :roll:

Well, good ol' fashioned campaigns of hate are conspicuous for their absence on the latter-day WLDG...
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:56 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Firstly, neither Compuserve or Prodigy was part of the Internet in those days: they were dial-up BBS services, more or less, which only much later added Internet access to their services.

Interesting perspective, Mark. From the standpoint of the general public outside the university computer-geek communities, "The Internet" didn't even come to public attention until the early 1990s, by which time CompuServe and its imitator Prodigy were major and growing services and AOL was just rising. Certainly these online services - which were considerably more than BBS if only because of their international scope - were the way that most people outside the computer-jock community first encountered online discussions and data access in any accessible form.

From the standpoint of those of us who'd been with CompuServe since 1985, the Internet was an intriguing but relatively arcane area that didn't seem to be of much use. I found alt.food.wine around 1991 or 1992, and it didn't take long to examine it and dismiss it; by that time it was already dominated by collegiate flamers, soon followed by spammers, and didn't really seem to have much to offer.

Once they came up with that Mosaic thingie, though, the landscape changed very fast, and I'm just glad I had enough sense to figure that out while most of the people on CompuServe, Prodigy and AOL were <i>still</i> dismissing the Internet and the WWW (which, curiously, were seen as different things) as a useless toy that would never go anyplace. :)

As far as wine newsgroups on Usenet go, though, I had no idea it pre-dated the commercial services, but I can't say that it's ever been a major public presence, then or now.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:22 am

Thomas wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:Whatever, dudes. What I wanna know is, is anybody bottling Vaccarèse as a varietal wine? :D

Dave,

Are you implying that "there is no there, there?" ;)

Inane remains my choice of words for it.

I thought it might be useful to the discussion to insert some actual geekiness. :D
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:21 am

Robin Garr wrote:Hmm ... he didn't spend a heck of a lot of time checking out the details, did he?

Robin,
I think it is a great article. Obviously there are some errors, you are too close to the issue, but in general well stated. I thought "spoofulated" was a term coined by one of our very own wine geeks, Otto. I feel honored to be in such a small group, almost like a savior the world.
Walt
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:51 am

Walt,
Otto has made many contributions to geekdom, but coining spoofulated isn't one of them. I recall origin of this term being debated elsewhere on the internet and while I don't know if any conclusion was reached, the term does go back at least 10 years IIRC.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:23 am

Here is some discussion about the origins of spoofulated.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Interesting perspective, Mark. From the standpoint of the general public outside the university computer-geek communities, "The Internet" didn't even come to public attention until the early 1990s, by which time CompuServe and its imitator Prodigy were major and growing services and AOL was just rising. Certainly these online services - which were considerably more than BBS if only because of their international scope - were the way that most people outside the computer-jock community first encountered online discussions and data access in any accessible form.

I agree completely, Robin, but I have a bit of a pet peeve about people conflating the Internet with the Web with BBSs, etc. It's of no real consequence to most people, but I feel compelled from time to time to remind folks of the distinction.

From the standpoint of those of us who'd been with CompuServe since 1985, the Internet was an intriguing but relatively arcane area that didn't seem to be of much use. I found alt.food.wine around 1991 or 1992, and it didn't take long to examine it and dismiss it; by that time it was already dominated by collegiate flamers, soon followed by spammers, and didn't really seem to have much to offer.

One small correction: alt.food.wine didn't exist until July of '94, the result of an impetuous decision to move wine traffic from rec.food.drink to a new newsgroup, so you either were looking at rfd or it was later than you recall. As someone who's contributed to alt.food.wine since '99, I can tell you that, for an unmoderated forum, it's remarkably free of flames and spam and been a very congenial and informative place to discuss wine.

Once they came up with that Mosaic thingie, though, the landscape changed very fast, and I'm just glad I had enough sense to figure that out while most of the people on CompuServe, Prodigy and AOL were <i>still</i> dismissing the Internet and the WWW (which, curiously, were seen as different things) as a useless toy that would never go anyplace. :)

Yes, from my perspective as someone who's been continuously networked since '76, the Web has done much to popularize and democratize the Internet and I don't regret it at all (despite the precipitous decline of online etiquette as our quiet little playground was overrun with the unwashed masses :wink:). I even relented in '98 and finally bought a home computer after having relied on work machines for well-nigh 20 years. Now, it's an indispensible part of our lives, as it for so many others.

As far as wine newsgroups on Usenet go, though, I had no idea it pre-dated the commercial services, but I can't say that it's ever been a major public presence, then or now.

Agreed. Newgroup traffic is but a small fraction of that on web fora, but we should be careful not to equate volume of traffic with quality of discussion, right? :wink: One special attribute of newsgroups is the readers' ability to maintain archives of past posts, something that might prove difficult with this and other Web-based fora. Since Google currently maintains a newsgroup archive, we can use it to find e.g. JBL's favorite wines from the '96 Sonoma Harvest Fair or one source of Robert Callahan's animus toward RMP, including commentary by several figures quite familiar in these parts.

Anyway, I in no way sought to diminish either the signifcance of your role or that of WLDG in bringing intelligent discussion of wine to the Internet. For many of us here, the more places there are where this sort of discussion can be found, the better, and I salute you for all that you've done to further that cause, Robin.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:Dammit, if this is a lovefest I'm going over to Therapy! (Like they want me?! :D ) Let's get over this crap and throw some molotov cocktails. Can we talk about terrior or natural corks or something?

Well, good ol' fashioned campaigns of hate are conspicuous for their absence on the latter-day WLDG...

We've had 'em Manuel. They are tiny conflagrations and some people try to stomp them out before they get started. Hoke and I do our level best, but I think Hoke has gotten too nice in his old age and I'm not sure I have the drive to really sustain a long term campaign. It's like running for president and look what kind of disasters that has turned out over the last 16 years.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:One small correction: alt.food.wine didn't exist until July of '94, the result of an impetuous decision to move wine traffic from rec.food.drink to a new newsgroup, so you either were looking at rfd or it was later than you recall.

Thanks for the gentle correction, Mark. I know for certain that my timeline is correct (because I know where and when I first started prowling the "real" net, first from Software Tool & Die in Boston, then panix.com in NYC), so this was definitely late '91 and early '92. It's entirely possible, though, since I didn't stay long on Usenet after that first look around, that I conflated rec.food.drink with the later alt.food.wine.

I will say, with all respect, that <i>from my perspective</i>, rec.food.drink didn't seem to offer a fraction of what we had at that time on the CompuServe Wine Forum, and it certainly didn't look like competition. And in 1994, when I launched the first iteration of WineLoversPage, and in 1995, when I set up the first, rudimentary version of WLDG, one of my primary decision factors was the recognition that (1) Usenet was clearly not doing the job I thought could be done, and (2) CompuServe was going to go down the tubes fast once this Web thing got rolling.

As for the rest of your comments, we have no quarrel, other than that I'll repeat my previous observation that the wired world looks very different through an English major's eyes than a computer jock's eyes, and there are a lot more of us English majors out here. :oops:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:As for the rest of your comments, we have no quarrel, other than that I'll repeat my previous observation that the wired world looks very different through an English major's eyes than a computer jock's eyes, and there are a lot more of us English majors out here. :oops:

Unemployed no doubt. :twisted:

Can you tell school is out? I really need to be more disciplined about getting my end-of-the-year paper work finished. :oops: :roll:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:48 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Unemployed no doubt. :twisted:

"You want fries with that?"
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:06 am

John Tomasso wrote:You mean the "paper of record" was inaccurate about something?

But that can't be......... :lol:

and, more importantly, did this article on wine geeks appear before or after the "paper of records" coverage of the succesfully thwarted terrorist attack on JFK that could be found on page 32?
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:58 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
Jenise wrote:
He alludes briefly to CompuServe and Prodigy without, apparently, understanding that this forum's original roots are in CompuServe and eBob's on Prodigy.

Robin, I'm surprised by your nit. Maybe he does understand but didn't think it worth mentioning? For the purposes of his article, I think he got it right: regardless of the players, wine internet discussion started on Compuserve and Prodigy, and now WLDG is one of the best forums available.

No, Jenise, that isn't quite accurate. Firstly, neither Compuserve or Prodigy was part of the Internet in those days: they were dial-up BBS services, more or less, which only much later added Internet access to their services. Secondly, the Internet's original wine discussion forum was net.wines, a Usenet newsgroup that got its start in '83, about the same time that the Internet did. Net.wines became rec.food.drink in the "Great Renaming" of '86 and though a rash decision later had its wine traffic rerouted to alt.food.wine, which dates to '94. Google's archives still have some of the early articles from net.wines and its later successors.

Mark Lipton

...damn veteran :wink:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:37 am

Mark S wrote:...damn veteran :wink:

You're a fine one to talk, Mark. You predate me there IIRC :P

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:09 pm

This is my first posting here, and it is a friendly and serious historical query to Robin Garr. (I've done some writing on the history of food and wine on the Internet, and have a good deal of authoritative data at hand.)

Leaving aside suppositions or impressions, what is the basis for the following claims, current on http://www.wineloverspage.com ?

"The Web's original wine discussion groups."

"the Internet's original wine forum"
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hmm ... he didn't spend a heck of a lot of time checking out the details, did he?

Robin, is that the June 6 issue? Cannot register for some reason.
PreviousNext