The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2006 BC Gewurz - Good and Bad (or Ugly)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 2006 BC Gewurz - Good and Bad (or Ugly)

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:04 pm

Black Widow Winery - great, if sweet varietal Gewurz nose. A tad too much RS for me, but finishes with good length and not too much sweetness (I like Alsatians - and I don't mean the kind that go 'woof')

Township 7 - absofrickinultely zip in the way of varietal character in the nose, and on palate the sort of nondescript fruitless acidic thing I'd expect from an amateur winemaker. Let me qualify that - I know many amateurs that would do a better job than this. No idea what is going on here as I have had several decent wines (admittedly mostly red) from this producer.

And so my search for the perfect domestic Alsatian style Gewurz with lots of interest in the nose, good fruit on palate, and nice dry finish goes on....sometimes I feel like an oenous version of the Flying Dutchman - never finding port but always looking (I know - I'm looking for Gewurz, not Port, but you know what I mean).
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

Re: TN: 2006 BC Gewurz - Good and Bad (or Ugly)

by rumpole » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Bill,

If you can find it, try the Latitude 46 Gewurztraminer from the Celilo Vineyard in the Columbia Gorge. Great stuff. This vineyard produces such great Gewurztraminer that few winemakers ever screw it up!
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: TN: 2006 BC Gewurz - Good and Bad (or Ugly)

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:50 pm

I received an email blast from Trey Busch on behalf of his new venture, Sleight of Hand Winery in Walla Walla. One of his first offerings is a Columbia Valley Gewurztraminer. I have a lot of respect for Trey as a winemaker. Let's see how this one turns out; it should be available in July.

-- Clark