The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three wines of character

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Three wines of character

by Florida Jim » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:37 pm

2005 Monjardin, Chardonnay El Cerezo:
Unoaked chardonnay from Navarra, Spain. I found that serving this chilled killed the fruit, emphasized a dirty edge to it and made the wine unpleasant. Warmed to room temp (not even cool) it was an entirely different wine; lemon curd and stones on the nose with light nutmeg, butterscotch and herb accents; thick bodied in the mouth with rich flavors that follow the nose, a bit of a dirty/musty/mineral tone and bracing acidity; a very long, crisp finish. An interesting wine and one of the few unoaked chardonnays outside of Chablis that I think is worth a second look. Probably needs a year or two (or more) in the cellar; left on the counter overnight without a stopper it was even more open and complex. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Winebow and about $11; I’d buy it again.
(Aside: There were times when I was drinking this wine that I loved it; there were also times when I thought the mineral/dirt element was a flaw. And then there’s the fact that it’s so rich and yet has such powerful acidity. Right now, I’ll call it “interesting” and go find another bottle just to see if that’s what I’ll stick with.)

2005 Jean-Pierre et Jean-François Quénard, Chignin Anne de la Biguerne:
No second thoughts about this beautiful Vin de Savoie from hand harvested, 65 year old jacquère vines grown on chalk and limestone soils; floral, alpine scents with white fruit and light spice notes; supple, texturally silky wine but with penetrating flavors that follow the nose, perfect balance and exquisite harmony. A charming wine by itself and a wonderful foil for pasta with shrimp and anchovy sauce. I am sad to see this last bottle go – but it was made to drink young and I enjoyed every sip. 12% alcohol, imported by Charles Neal Selections and about $10; I’d buy it again.

2005 Pardevalles, Prieto Picudo Gamonal:
This is from the new DO (as of 9-2005) Tierras de León which is somewhat east of Bierzo in northern Spain. Prieto Picudo is a small berried, very dark indigenous grape and the Gamonal vineyard contains the oldest trellised vines of this variety. The wine smells of ripe plums, tannin and has a plowed earth, cinnamon, autumn leaves profile that is very enticing; it has the weight of good Burgundy, reminds me a little of Italy’s Etna Rosso wines in its overall delivery and has good structure, grip, ripeness, balance and focus while still being somewhat rustic; it finishes long with a hint of baker’s chocolate. 14% alcohol, imported by Frontier Wine Imports and about $14; I’d buy it again.
(Aside: I think this is worth actively seeking out as it is from a unique grape and appears to be vinted honestly into an authentic wine of character. It is more than worth trying - impressive.)

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: WTN: Three wines of character

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:51 pm

Florida Jim wrote:2005 Jean-Pierre et Jean-François Quénard, Chignin Anne de la Biguerne:
No second thoughts about this beautiful Vin de Savoie from hand harvested, 65 year old jacquère vines grown on chalk and limestone soils; floral, alpine scents with white fruit and light spice notes; supple, texturally silky wine but with penetrating flavors that follow the nose, perfect balance and exquisite harmony. A charming wine by itself and a wonderful foil for pasta with shrimp and anchovy sauce. I am sad to see this last bottle go – but it was made to drink young and I enjoyed every sip. 12% alcohol, imported by Charles Neal Selections and about $10; I’d buy it again.

I recently had my first bottle of Chignin Vin de Savoie, but from Domaine Raymond Quenard. It is indeed a very different kind of white wine, which I had a lot of difficulty describing. Your notes do a very good job with the unique characteristics of this varietal. In particular, the texture is not highly crisp, yet it is not soft and flabby ... just unique onto itself.

For those of you, who are now tempted to try this wine, be aware of the following distinction. A bottle labeled Chignin Vin de Savoie is made from the Jacquere grape. A bottle labeled Chignin Bergeron is made from Roussanne; Bergeron is the local name for Roussanne.

-- Clark