The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: No1 Family Estate, Cuvee Number Eight Sparkling Wine, Marlborough, NZ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

TN: No1 Family Estate, Cuvee Number Eight Sparkling Wine, Marlborough, NZ

by Mike Conner » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:01 pm

While normally I don't get into retailer's hype over wines, sometimes I give in when the price seems reasonable (or, better). This is one of those times....

No1 Family Estate Cuvee Number Eight Sparkling Wine, Marlbourough, NZ 20% Pinot Noir, 80% Chardonnay

Upon first pour, shows very fine and abundant bead. A yeasty, bready, baked apple that shows pretty darn nice depth with some minerality - and maybe a hint of red fruit? Young fruit-forward flavors (ie, not the more mature flavors of older sparklers) continue on the palate. Remarkably flavorful on the palate with reasonable depth. The bead persists even as it warms in the glass. There is a reasonable finish to this sparkler.... more than one should expect for this level.

Bought recently from the Carolina Wine Co. for the remarkable price of $11.99 + shipping (I'm not a shill for CWC... just a satisfied customer). To steal a line from FLJim, I would abso-freaking-lutely purchase this again at this price... perhaps a few dollars more. Dare I say this could compete favorably with a fair number of NV Cuvees from Champagne? I'm gonna try my best to hold off on one or two bottles to see how they age... and if CWC offers this and the other "higher" bottling from No1 Family at a similar value, I'll be backing up the truck.

Sorry if I sound like a walking billboard... But I've been trying to find a reasonably priced and 'eminently' drinkable substitute for 'normal-conditions drinking' Champagne as their pricing continues to escalate... and I may have succeeded.

The office and work has kept me from participating more... I'm afraid that will continue for a little bit... but this wine needed some praise and drew me out from hiding.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?