The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Starters(Pichler, Kosta, Millaud).

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: Some Starters(Pichler, Kosta, Millaud).

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:59 am

2005 Domaine du Millaud Muscadet
I've reported on this wine previously and it is still holding up quite nicely. A long lime and melon minerality accompanied by that salinity I look for in my Muscadets. Good persistency on the finish. A steal at ~$9.

2006 Kosta Browne Rose of Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley
I'm afraid this just isn't my cup-o-tea or rose. Tutti-fruity strawberry fruit. Muddled middle. Not enough acidity for this acidophile. Finishes with noticeable heat.

2004 F.X. Pichler Gruner Veltliner Smaragd, Durnsteiner Kellerberg (Troken)
For a relatively young wine the color is a somewhat surprising deep straw. Some stone fruit and pepper on top of the underlying minerality. This wine is very precise and focused with a wonderful viscosity and mouth feel. A joy to drink. A few others noted a bit of residual sugar, but I never noticed any RS at all. I don't drink a lot of GV, but this wine has definitely piqued my curiosity.

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Some Starters(Pichler, Kosta, Millaud).

by Jenise » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:13 pm

Ooh, I envy you the Pichler. Sounds like a great bottle of GruVee, thanks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Some Starters(Pichler, Kosta, Millaud).

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Ooh, I envy you the Pichler. Sounds like a great bottle of GruVee, thanks.

Indeed it is. Just finished a glass with lunch on the deck. As good as I recall from last evening, plus a bit of floral (honeysuckle?) is added to the mix. I finished the last sip 15 minutes ago and the flavor still lingers delightfully on the palate. Perhaps enough left for a glass with dinner if NJ doesn't beat me to it. :?
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!