The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:Some recent Bdx (96 Cos, 98 Ducru B, 99 Clerc Milon, 2000 Ch Cantenac)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN:Some recent Bdx (96 Cos, 98 Ducru B, 99 Clerc Milon, 2000 Ch Cantenac)

by Marc D » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:49 pm

I have a minor backlog of notes from the last six weeks, so rather than post one big list, I think I'll group them into focused regions.

1999 Château Clerc Milon (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac) 5/11/2007

This is drinking well right now, with a nod towards a more modern style, but to me very Pauillac. Cedar, oregano, barrel toast and blackberry fruit. As it opened had a flowery note as well, that had one taster guessing Margaux. Plenty of tannins but has some acidity and lift also. I opened this with some friends who drink mostly WA state reds and it was a big hit, more so than a very earthy and austere 96 Cos.

1996 Château Cos d'Estournel (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe) 5/11/2007

Very dry, dusty, earthy nose, thick bodied, some cassis fruit that seemed muddled with a drying tannic finish. One taster called this "the dirt wine". I don't mind the earthiness, but the texture here really seemed off. Maybe this was opened too young, but it didn't improve much with air and overnight no real change. This wasn't bought on release, so storage could be an issue.

1998 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien) 6/9/2007

I thought this was a very good bottle of wine. Vibrant and expressive nose with baked plums, oak spice, and coffee. Juicy and midweight. Nice balance and concentration. Firm tannins, with a long finish. Very good, has the concentration and structure to go for a while, but drinking nice right now. As the wine opened some herbal cedar notes and minerals added to the complexity. The roasted coffee smell also hung in there, and the black fruit became less noticeable. I really enjoyed this as I love a wine that evolves like this over the evening.

2000 Château Cantenac (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion) 5/14/2007

Blackish fruit, but a bit too much harsh oak in the nose. Kind of thick bodied with the tannin and acidity disjointed at the moment. Not much style or elegance. Drinkable but just barely enjoyable. There are lots of 2000 Bordeaux that I have liked more than this one.

Best,
Marc