The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 Navarro Gewurz, "Cuvee Traditional"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: '05 Navarro Gewurz, "Cuvee Traditional"

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:53 am

Opened this to go with mussels in green curry. It comes in at 13.5% alcohol, 0.3% RS, $14 (as per their website).

Very pale straw color. Reticent nose with some floral character. In the mouth, we're talking dry gewurz. There's a taut acidic core that's overlaid with some floral-peach fruit. Depending on the temperature of the wine, the mouthfeel goes from dry and almost chalky to somewhat oily (although the acidity it there either way). There's also a touch of pleasant bitterness. The finish is long and complex with the acidity, fruit, and bitter character all playing roles. There's a lot going on in this stuff.

This went very well with the (somewhat disappointing) mussels. But supper was over a couple of hours ago and I keep going back to pour a little bit more of this wine into my glass....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: '05 Navarro Gewurz, "Cuvee Traditional"

by Jenise » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:59 am

I'm not a fan of the grape, but is there a better domestic gewurz maker than Navarro? They seem to get the angularity of the Alsatians just right. Must have been a great match with your mussels, other problems aside.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:56 pm

IMHO Navarro is the QPR leader in California wines IMHO.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:21 pm

They're definitely way high on the QPR scale. We went through what they had open in the tasting room last March and the wines were uniformly interesting, complex, and food-friendly. And cheap!

And it did go well with the curry. It was a green curry with plenty of mint, cilantro, cumin, and coconut milk and some potatoes thrown in for good measure. That over rice with the gewurz was delicious.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm not a fan of the grape, but is there a better domestic gewurz maker than Navarro? They seem to get the angularity of the Alsatians just right. Must have been a great match with your mussels, other problems aside.

Lazy Creek, also in the Anderson Valley, does IMO a more compelling (dry) Gewürz, though I have no objection to Navarro's either.

Mark Lipton