The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Hartley-Ostini Hitching Post Pinot Noir Julia's Vi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: 2000 Hartley-Ostini Hitching Post Pinot Noir Julia's Vi

by John Tomasso » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:33 am

• 2000 Hartley-Ostini Hitching Post Pinot Noir Julia's Vineyard Santa Maria Valley - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (6/10/2007)
    Brick colored - clear at the rim
    Upon opening, there was a bit of bottle stink which blew off quickly. In the glass, there was the subtle aroma of oak, framing very earthy red fruit. Classic pinot noir nose.
    The wine is balanced on the palate, medium weight with acidity playing off black cherry and cola flavors - it is feminine and elegant in its attack and mid palate. The oak plays background,in a gentle fashion, providing a touch of structure to the soft fruit. There is a lingering finish which prompts another sip.

This is a fine expression of Central Coast Pinot Noir, which has aged nicely. I am starting to be drawn back to some of the Santa Maria pinot noir, enjoying their lower key as contrasted with some of the bigger Santa Rita Hills wines out there.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

arnie del rosario

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:48 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: WTN: 2000 Hartley-Ostini Hitching Post Pinot Noir Julia's Vi

by arnie del rosario » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:57 am

- it is feminine and elegant in its attack and mid palate. The oak plays background,in a gentle fashion, providing a touch of structure to the soft fruit.

I cannot agree with you more. Though I havent tried the 2000 and have only tried the 01, 02 and 03, the Julias Vineyard of Hitching Post is one of my favorite PNs. I prefer its "feminine elegance" to the more powerful Highliner, which is supposed to be Hitching Post's top PN offering.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2000 Hartley-Ostini Hitching Post Pinot Noir Julia's Vi

by Jenise » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:08 am

John, been treated to a number of Hitching Post wines in the last year, and they make me sorry I hadn't pursued these wines early on. They're quite fetching, and eery time they show up in the company of other pinots the HP always wins for me. Like a few months ago: "The other night at a friend's house, the 05 Foley Santa Maria and the basic 05 Hitching Post pinots were served with a salad course. These are the first 05's I've tasted out of that area. The Foley was typical Foley with clean, bright cherry and tomato skin flavors. Good, but the Hitching Post had a depth and resonance to it the Foley didn't, and it was excellent."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov