The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Dalrymple Chardonnay Pipers Brook, Tasmania

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

WTN: 1999 Dalrymple Chardonnay Pipers Brook, Tasmania

by Howard » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Well, including Jenise's notes from the old WLDG we now have notes going back to 2002 on this wine. I've finally moved and the shelving for my wine closet is coming in a week or two, so I'm starting to look more seriously at my inventory again. This is the last bottle of this little gem that Jenise introduced me to. I had originally bought 6.

Whodathunk an 8 year old Aussie chardonnay could be so wonderful? But this really isn't your ordinary chardonnay. It still has that piercing acidity. There is definitely oak that sort of caresses the citrus, lemony melon flavors. It is in no way obtrusive. Still has that gorgeous minerally finish as well. What a long strange trip it's been.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1999 Dalrymple Chardonnay Pipers Brook, Tasmania

by Jenise » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 am

Howard, I was afraid you might have left that one too long. About two years ago, it was absolutely dazzling, and drank not like a chardonnay but like a 7-10 year old grand cru chablis. That's what's so amazing about the wine, the producer set out to make--and did--a chablis style down under. We're drinking the 2000's now, which I don't think had the acid that the 99 did nor will it have the brilliance, but it's darned good anyway.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: WTN: 1999 Dalrymple Chardonnay Pipers Brook, Tasmania

by Howard » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:11 am

Would've been fun to try it at 10 years. Oh well.
:D
Howard