The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A Cali Chard I really liked and a Zin I didn't like

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

A Cali Chard I really liked and a Zin I didn't like

by Redwinger » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:44 pm

WTN: 2005 Keller Estate, Oro de Plata, Sonoma Chardonnay
I can't remember the last time I was impressed with a Cali-Chard, but that is probably due to the fact I haven't drank a lot of them over the last 10 years or so... since the butter and oak crowd gained control out there.
This keller is very nice. There is crisp acidity along with ample and discerable fruit of the pear and fig variety and a creaminess on the palate which never becomes clutzy. The label states this does not undergo Malo. Rather than dwelling upon the qualities the wine does have, it may be more appropriate to comment on what the wine lacks..butter/oak and flabbiness which is just fine with me. Retails for $24 here in flyover land.

WTN: 2004 Seghesio Home Ranch Zinfandel
The wine is listed at 15.3 ABV and it just doesn't carry it well at all. The over-ripe fruit and heat/alcohol give it an unpleasant profile that comes accross as very port-like. Not something I care to drink. Retails for ~$28 and not recommended at any price. Can't win 'em all I guess. Tonight I'll open a 2001 Nalle Zinfandel to help restore order to my wine universe.
Redwinger
Last edited by Redwinger on Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: A Cali Chard I really liked and a Zin I didn't like

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Tonight I'll open a 2001 Nalle Zinfandel to help restore order to my wine universe.
Redwinger

All will be well after the Nalle, But I hope you will post a note on it.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:05 pm

Redwinger wrote:WTN: 2005 Keller Estate, Oro de Plata, Sonoma Chardonnay
Retails for $24 here in flyover land.

Bill,
Sounds interesting to me, too (bummer about the Seghesio) as I steer toward Chablis for my Chardonnays. Care to name a local retailer where I can find this?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:11 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Tonight I'll open a 2001 Nalle Zinfandel to help restore order to my wine universe.
Redwinger

All will be well after the Nalle, But I hope you will post a note on it.

Bob,
Done!!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Redwinger wrote:WTN: 2005 Keller Estate, Oro de Plata, Sonoma Chardonnay
I can't remember the last time I was impressed with a Cali-Chard, but that is probably due to the fact I haven't drank a lot of them over the last 10 years or so... since the butter and oak crowd gained control out there.
This keller is very nice. There is crisp acidity along with ample and discerable fruit of the pear and fig variety and a creaminess on the palate which never becomes clutzy. The label states this does not undergo Malo. Rather than dwelling upon the qualities the wine does have, it may be more appropriate to comment on what the wine lacks..butter/oak and flabbiness which is just fine with me. Retails for $24 here in flyover land.

So, I finally got around to opening my bottle tonight with a dinner of grilled salmon (good match). Here's what I got:

nose: pineapple, apricots, minerals, citrus, subtle new oak
palate: creamy, pineapple and minerals, somewhat oaky with good acidity

Like you, Bill, I don't do butter and vanilla in my wines. This wine did have come crispness to it, courtesy of the no ML treatment, but it still lacked a bit of the cut that I look for in Chablis. Still, this brought me back to some of the mid-'80s Winery Lake Chardonnays of Acacia, which is not a bad thing at all.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:43 am

Mark Lipton wrote:So, I finally got around to opening my bottle tonight with a dinner of grilled salmon (good match). Here's what I got:

nose: pineapple, apricots, minerals, citrus, subtle new oak
palate: creamy, pineapple and minerals, somewhat oaky with good acidity

Like you, Bill, I don't do butter and vanilla in my wines. This wine did have come crispness to it, courtesy of the no ML treatment, but it still lacked a bit of the cut that I look for in Chablis. Still, this brought me back to some of the mid-'80s Winery Lake Chardonnays of Acacia, which is not a bad thing at all.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Mark Lipton

Thanks for the note. I was wondering if you ever tried this Keller. I figured you probably did, but did care for it and wanted to spare my sensitive feelings :lol: . I'm just a bit surprised that you picked up the oak notes. I don't believe this receives any new oak treatment...IIRC, just stainless and supposedly neutral barrels. Maybe you just aged it too long :twisted: .
Did you ever make it down to pick up some of the ESJ that was on sale?
Take care,
Bill