The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: JC & Paulo come to NY ('58 Spanna, '80 Pommard, '78 Graves, etc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: JC & Paulo come to NY ('58 Spanna, '80 Pommard, '78 Graves, etc)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:29 am

Last night a delightful group got together to welcome JC (Jane) who was stopping in NYC after a trip to the Finger Lakes. We went back to La Grolla, where Jay, Paulo,and I had all eaten Memorial Day weekend. A nice round banquette, eager service, and mostly good food. I really enjoyed my spinach salad w/pancetta and shiitake, the veal ragu was the highlight of the meal,and my duck breast was good (if a bit overdone). Betsy's smoked trout ravioli were nice but would have benefited from a bit of sauce; her lamb chops were tasty if unexceptional. In general I think people really appreciated the food.

A nice assortment of wines, with 6 of us plenty of chances to revist, and people nicely chose wines in an attempt to please others. Really a fun group of people, and I quite enjoyed myself (of course, I always like having Betsy along, especially when she is designated driver).

NV Camille Saves Brut Champagne
Bright fruity nose, kind of an apple melange, Granny Smith and Golden Delicious. Light chalky note, just a hint of fresh-baked bread. Pretty but not compelling (someone said it blossomed later, but I didn't retry). B

2004 Bibi Graetz "Bugia Bianco" (Toscana )
Apparently this is from Ansonica grapes, grown on an island off Tuscany. Big unusual nose, kind of the bastard child of a Meursault and a Falanghina. Butterscotch, almonds, and pears. A little oaky and angular. Interesting, but I wouldn't pay the $50ish price tag at my local store (this was a gift).B

2006 Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling
One of the nicer Finger Lakes Rieslings I've run across, really pretty. Very floral nose, with some spiced apple notes. On the palate there is just a pleasant hint of bitter over clean fresh fruit. I quite enjoy. B+

2004 Donnhoff Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Spatlese
Tight and ungiving at first, revisited much later a delicious Riesling had emerged. Peach and grapefruit over a layer of minerals, great length, nice balance between acidity and sugar. Better with cheese than as an apertif. A-

1980 Henri Boillot "Les Rugiens" Pommard 1er Cru
I had brought a backup bottle of Lafarge in case this didn't show well. It stayed in bag. Not for those that value fruit above all else, but popular at our table. Cedar, smoke, mushrooms, and peatmoss waft above the red cherry fruit, a little sharp on palate but with food it goes down smooth. A distinct graphite note that I'd associate more with mature Bordeaux on the finish, yet it blends in seamlessly with the more typical Burgundy notes of forest floor and fungi. After awhile Jay gets some brett notes in his glass, I smell it too, but very light- in my glass it's more a light gamy note. Revisited through night it remains delightful, while putting on some weight and developing coffee aromas. My WOTN (by a hair). A-

1978 Haut-Bailly (Graves)
Pretty tight at first. Does well later with some hard cheeses. Medium-bodied, good acidity, resolved tannins. Red fruit, some tobacco and cedar. I wish I had taken more time to appreciate, I just was enjoying the Pommard and Spanna too much. B

1958 Vallana Spanna
Oh yeah, the Spanna. Youthful and vibrant, still a bit of tannin, pretty red cherry and plum fruit with orange peel, earth, Doesn't budge over 3 hours. I'll not contest those who claim there's a bit of Taurasi fortification here. A-/B+

1990 Tommasi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico
OK, for those that say Amarone is good with duck, I admit you're right (at least with duck with a balsamic reduction). Black plum, raisins, leather. Nice old-fashioned medium-bodied Amarone, still some tannins, good length. One person found it too acidic, I thought it one of the lower acid reds on table. B+

1999 Domaine Arlaud Morey "Les Ruchots" Cuvee Unique St. Denis 1er Cru
JC worried that this might be too woody- she had the Arlaud Ruchots before, but this was the NBI Cuvee Unique. It was showing some oak, with
red fruit and a little mineral on finish. A little more cellar age to integrate the oak more might help. This was opened too late in the evening to give it a chance to develop. A possibly unfair B-, would like to try again in 3-5 years with an evening to watch it.

NV Glenora Port

By the time this came around, I was winding down, and a bit more interested in retrying some of the earlier wines with my cheese. I did try a little of this with the gorgonzola, reminded me of a ruby. I didn't pay enough attention.

2006 Pineto Brachetto d'Acqui
Fun and bright Brachetto, macerated cherries with a little hint of strawberry, light fizz. I like, but as always with Brachetto think I'd as soon spend a few less dollars for a Bugey-Cerdon . B

Thanks everyone!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: JC & Paulo come to NY ('58 Spanna, '80 Pommard, '78 Graves, etc)

by Marc D » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:55 am

NV Camille Saves Brut Champagne

This one is good, but the pink version is really compelling.

One of the nicer Finger Lakes Rieslings I've run across, really pretty. Very floral nose, with some spiced apple notes. On the palate there is just a pleasant hint of bitter over clean fresh fruit. I quite enjoy. B+

Tight and ungiving at first, revisited much later a delicious Riesling had emerged. Peach and grapefruit over a layer of minerals, great length, nice balance between acidity and sugar. Better with cheese than as an apertif. A-

A comparison I would love to try sometime. Strangely enough I can find the Donnhoff out here but not the Finger Lakes Riesling.

1958 Vallana Spanna
Oh yeah, the Spanna. Youthful and vibrant, still a bit of tannin, pretty red cherry and plum fruit with orange peel, earth, Doesn't budge over 3 hours. I'll not contest those who claim there's a bit of Taurasi fortification here. A-/B+

Was this a Rare Wine Co Bottle, or do you guys have another source for this on the East Coast? I have a special someone who's birthday year is '58 so I have looked at that bottle for the celebration, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

but this was the NBI Cuvee Unique. It was showing some oak,

I think we may have talked about this before, but does Cuvee Unique equal new oak treatment?

Fun and bright Brachetto, macerated cherries with a little hint of strawberry, light fizz. I like, but as always with Brachetto think I'd as soon spend a few less dollars for a Bugey-Cerdon . B

I wonder if Brachetto is one of those delicate wines where something is lost when the wine travels from its place of origin?

Very interesting group of wines, and to meet Jane and Paulo, wow, sounds like a great night. Did you get Paulo to sing?

Thanks for the notes.
Marc
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 am

Dale, great notes as always. What a great group of people to get together and enjoy great wines! A question about the Brachetto, is it always a dessert wine? Could it be an appertif? I have a bottle in the cellar and don't know what to do with it. Also what is a Bugey-Cerdon? Where can I find that?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:37 am

Marc D wrote:
but this was the NBI Cuvee Unique. It was showing some oak,

I think we may have talked about this before, but does Cuvee Unique equal new oak treatment?

Yes, this has come up before. In Burgundy, at least, Cuvée Unique seems to equate with the NBI "barrel program." OTOH, I've had a few Clos du Caillou CdRs that were labeled Cuvée Unique and showed no sign of new oak, so perhaps David Hinkle doesn't like new oak in his Grenache...

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:05 pm

James Roscoe wrote: A question about the Brachetto, is it always a dessert wine? Could it be an appertif? I have a bottle in the cellar and don't know what to do with it. Also what is a Bugey-Cerdon? Where can I find that?

JAmes,
Every Brachetto I've had is in the moderate sweetness lightly sparking mode, and could probably be ok as an apertif. That's how I serve Bugey Cerdon, which is of similar body.
The NV Alain Renardat-Fache Bugey Cerdon is a Dressner import, we used to joke that it was the most TNed wine of all time. Strawberries in a glass, just fun. There are some other producers, notably Bottex, which I think is a Kermit Lynch import.

Marc,
I think Bob did say this was a Rare Wne.
I've run across this wine before, in late 90s there were a bunch of old Vallanas say '55-'70 around NYC at very reasonable prices.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:53 pm

James Roscoe wrote: Also what is a Bugey-Cerdon? Where can I find that?

James--
I've seen the Renardat-Fache here in Baltimore (but not often), so I'll assume it has a Maryland distributor.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Mark Lipton wrote: I've had a few Clos du Caillou CdRs that were labeled Cuvée Unique and showed no sign of new oak, so perhaps David Hinkle doesn't like new oak in his Grenache...

Or perhaps the hot fruit was so ripe that the oak was quicky swallowed and spit out the other side?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:29 pm

"Was this a Rare Wine Co Bottle, or do you guys have another source for this on the East Coast? I have a special someone who's birthday year is '58 so I have looked at that bottle for the celebration, but haven't pulled the trigger yet."

Marc, it was a Rare Wine offering -- they still have some in stock. Bill B. reported on a bottle several months ago, and his salesmanship was irresistible. :)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks for the fast turn around notes, Dale, very interesting reading as always. I'll add my notes here after I do a bit of research -- it was a very interesting lineup of wines, several of which were new to me.

The people were a delight. Jane, delightful in person -- and as a librarian one of my heroes for at least 60 years. Paulo -- bursting into song for a moment or two and fascinating on his work and life in Italy. Jay, late to the tasting ... that seemed impossible ... but becoming more and more of an authority -- but not an authoritarian -- over the years. Betsy -- radiant and a delight even if she only sips a bit. And you, Dale, filled with really interesting insights, and gracious as always.

I enjoyed the wines and the people immensely. Thank you all very much.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:06 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote: I've had a few Clos du Caillou CdRs that were labeled Cuvée Unique and showed no sign of new oak, so perhaps David Hinkle doesn't like new oak in his Grenache...

Or perhaps the hot fruit was so ripe that the oak was quicky swallowed and spit out the other side?

Heh. You should try some of those spooferic "Tête de Cuvée" bottlings from CdP if you want to put the lie to that particular theory...

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:08 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2006 Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling

Thanks for the note on this. I haven't had Wiemer's 2006 Riesling yet. When I was at the winery about a month ago they weren't pouring it because they still had some of the excellent 2005 Dry and Reserve Dry Riesling left. That surprised me because the 2005 Dry Riesling won the NYS Governor's Cup. A friend opened a bottle of the 2005 Reserve Dry Riesling at dinner recently, and it was the best Finger Lakes Riesling I've had. Beautiful nose of roses and peach fruit. I was happy to pick up a few more bottles at the winery; the stores I frequent have been sold out for a while.

I look forward to trying the 2006. While 2006 was a more difficult year for grape growing in the Finger Lakes than 2005, the 2006 FL Rieslings I've tried so far have had wonderful crisp acidity.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:53 am

Tuesday, June 12th, 7 PM
La Grolla, 413 Amsterdam Ave., New York, NY 10024. 212-496-0890 http://www.lagrolla.us/

NV Camille Savès Champagne 1er Cru Carte Blanche Brut Bouzy France. Chambers Street Wines, $36.99. Asimov/Lyle bottle. Imported by Polaner Selections. 75% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay; the wine is a blend of 60% from 2003 and 40% from 2001 and 2002. Bright yellow color, clear hue, good citrus and marzipan aromas, hints of spice and licorice with a fog of yeast that never really dissipated, good citrus and apple flavors, very restrained at first, growing in intensity over time, relatively mild acidity, short finish, small bubbles, quite disappointing tonight and it didn't really improve much over time. 2*+.

Notes:

I regret to report I agree with Susie on this wine that I brought to the party:

I was far from successful with Susie,
A highly imperious floosie,
Who said 'try me again,
But with proper champagne,
Because Susie's too choosy for Bouzy'

Lickerish Limericks, Cyril Ray, illustrated by Charles Mozley, 1979.

Polaner: "The Savès family has been producing in the Grand Cru village of Bouzy since the end of the 19th century. The house was founded in 1894 by Eugène Savès (sa-VESS) when he married Anïs Jolicoeur, the daughter of a vinegrower in Bouzy. His descendents, Louis, Camille, and now Hervé, have been running the family business ever since. Hervé, now in his 40s, has kept the family wines traditional. His father Camille still gives a helping hand to Hervé from time to time when things get really busy.

"The Savès family produces exclusively from their 11 hectares of vines, never buying any additional grapes. The wines are stored in the cellar for at least five years and the harvest yields are very low. Malolactic fermentation is avoided, resulting in wines of great finesse and cut.

"The fully south-facing vineyard of Bouzy grows on plain chalk recovered with a rich seam of alluvium. These characteristics produce a powerful, chewy, full-bodied wine that is perfect as an aperitif or at any time of the day."

Asimov: "All of the wines I liked were harmonious, but I might single out the Camille Savès Brut Champagne for its lovely integration."

2004 Bibi Graetz "Bugia Bianco" Tuscany Italy. Imported by Michael Skurnik, New York. 100% Ansonica. 14% alcohol.

Light yellow color, clear hue, intense aromas of melons and honey, a hint of eucalyptus, good to very good fruit flavors -- they developed remarkably over two hours in the glass -- with a remarkably rich aroma in the empty glass, a bit of lively acidity, a long finish with melon, honey and a spicy note. A very distinctive and pretty wine -- "no lie" as it were. 4*.

Notes:

Bibi Graetz is an artist turned wine maker. His main winery is located in Fiesole in the Vincigliata area, lying in the hills above Florence. Janet and I love the Villa San Michele with its wonderful views of Florence and a great Etruscan museum nearby -- now we have an even better reason for staying there.

Skurnik: Great intuition made Graetz understand that the territory of Vincigliata in Fiesole had a potential for the viticulture, which had remained unexpressed for years. The soil is mostly made from clay and marl, it is rich in salts such as phosphorus, potassium and magnesium, and it can keep abundant water supplies. These two factors together with the help of the sand, allow to obtain a complete balance.

The “azienda” owns 4 hectares of vineyards. In addition to this, 10.5 hectares of vineyard are rented on a longterm basis and cultivated directly by the “azienda”. The main grape is the sangiovese ( 65-70%), followed by colorino and canaiolo (30%), and there are also some rows of black muscat and black malmsey. The age of the vineyards varies a lot, there are new plants not yet productive, but the major part of the vineyards varies from 15 to 60 years old. The selected method of growing is guyot and double guyot. This allows for a natural limitation of the production of grapes for each stub.

As a child, Bibi used to spend summers on Giglio Island, a small sparsely inhabited island in the Tuscan Archipelago that comes to life in the summer, reachable only by ferry or boat, surrounded by crystal-clear waters. He thought the Ansonica grapes grown there were so special and flavorful that, years later, he had them cultivated for this wine. Well-known on the island for his ability to tell elaborate stories and invent creative excuses, the main grower is responsible for the wine’s name, having lent his nickname, Bugia, meaning “lie” in Italian, to the label.

100% Ansonica grapes, a.k.a. Inzollia in Sicily, the wine is intensely aromatic with notes of honey, vanilla, melon, and a touch of eucalyptus. It is highly flavorful, fruity and rich with a pleasantly clean finish, featuring a touch of oak but no excessively buttery qualities. 400 cs produced.

Daniel Thomases recently gave it 92 points, writing in the Veronelli guide that "after having redeveloped the vines at Fiesole, our man [Bibi Graetz] proved himself with those on Giglio Island, again with truly remarkable results."

2006 Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling Finger Lakes New York. Lovely matchup with a very good Donnhöff that I know very well. This wine was very pretty, but I thought it was a bit sweet, the acidity a bit soft, the whole ensemble a little boring. Jane said the winery thought the 2006 was better than the 2005, which was named best in the state. Hmmm ... 3*+.

Notes:

http://www.wiemer.com/

2004 Donnhöff Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Spatlese Germany. OK, this wine was a little quiet in the early going, but it came on so strong over the next two hours ... I loved it overall. Janet can make me drink it any time she chooses. :) 4*.

A fun taste-off between two very different Rieslings. I preferred the Donnhöff by a hair over the Wiemer.

1980 Henri Boillot "Les Rugiens" Pommard 1er Cru Burgundy France. Oh, my heart. I loved this wine. Farm boy to the heart. Delicious. Over the entire two and half hours -- I forced folks to open it early and I left with the taste in my mouth and the aroma in the glass. It lasted all the way from Amersterdam and 60th to six miles past the George Washington Bridge. 5*. My WOTN.

Williams: I had brought a backup bottle of Lafarge in case this didn't show well. It stayed in bag. Not for those that value fruit above all else, but popular at our table. Cedar, smoke, mushrooms, and peatmoss waft above the red cherry fruit, a little sharp on palate but with food it goes down smooth. A distinct graphite note that I'd associate more with mature Bordeaux on the finish, yet it blends in seamlessly with the more typical Burgundy notes of forest floor and fungi. After awhile Jay gets some brett notes in his glass, I smell it too, but very light- in my glass it's more a light gamy note. Revisited through night it remains delightful, while putting on some weight and developing coffee aromas. My WOTN (by a hair). A-

1978 Château Haut-Bailly Pessac-Léognan Graves Bordeaux France. A strong sense of deja vu -- surely I've had this wine before. I scribbled my notes and a day later I searched my diary using the Word Search Engine -- 40,000 tasting notes, and not a single one for Haut-Bailly. None in my cellar inventory. But then Google Desktop found it, in my wine to do list.

Otto had described the wine I tasted tonight: "A lightish red, some orange at rim. The nose is clearly evolved, but not at all over the top and has admirable complexity: sweet, deliciously fruity with red berries, earth, herbs, a touch of cigar and a hint of that singed or swamp-like scent that I get with older Merlot. But apart from that small scent, this seems more Burgundian that Claret - so much so that given blind, I would almost certainly have said old Burgundy! The palate is also, IMO, at peak now with sweet fruit, not at all drying despite still being a little tanninc, lovely acidity, lovely balance and an interminable aftertaste. Lovely!" Except for that "orange at rim", I would have written that note -- if only I could write so well! 4*.

Notes: http://www.chateau-haut-bailly.com/

1958 Vallana Spanna Colline Novaresi Piedmont Italy. Rare Wine Company. Red color, deep hue, light was too poor to check for bricking, very good aroma of prunes and cherries, lovely cherry and plum tastes with an earthy base that persisted through the long finish, light mouth feel, hints of fine tannins, just a bit of acidity, long fruit, spice and especially earthen notes, a haunting finish. We opened this wine at 7:00 and I had my last sip at 9:30. The wine didn't change one iota during that two and a half hour period. Remarkable. 4*+.

Notes: Nebbiolo also goes by the names Spanna, Picutener and Chiavennasca in Italy.

RWC 1990: The Vallana Legend. With all of the extraordinary wines now coming out of Italy, it seems incomprehensible that as recently as the late 1950’s, there were really only three Italian producers making consistently great wines ... and they were all in Piedmont: Giacomo Conterno, Bartolo Mascarello, and Antonio Vallana. Of course, the first two of these giants have continued to make monumental wines, evolving into enological icons. But what of Antonio Vallana, who despite once making some of Piedmont’s most spectacular and ageworthy red wines, is today virtually unknown to today’s Italian wine drinkers?

The domaine of Antonio Vallana & Figlio dates back at least to the early part of the last century in the town of Maggiora, about 100 miles northeast of Barolo. While the domaine always produced a range of wines, its place in history is owed to its profound Spannas (the local name for the Nebbiolo grape). Vallana also made what are certainly the most remarkable
Barberas we’ve ever come across. In their mouthfilling richness and their aging potential, they were far greater wines than many of the wines that have ever worn the “Barolo” label.

During the late 1950’s or early 1960’s, Vallana’s wines began to appear in the New York market. While never widely available outside of New York, for over a quarter of a century, with their wild labels and their fantastic power and richness, Vallana Spannas had a strong cult following among wine-savvy New Yorkers. By the time we became acquainted with Vallana’s wines in the early 1980’s, the quality of their current releases had fallen, but you could still pick up superb vintages from the late 1960’s in New York wine shops.

Burton Anderson, 1980: "Vallana creates Spannas with extraordinary life spans ... their breeding, substance and longevity showing no compromise whatever with conceptions of mass consumerism ... Vallana’s subcellars contain Spanna of the last half-century .... These are bargains for their age.”

Williams [whose notes on Vallana's wines I've followed for years]: Oh yeah, the Spanna. Youthful and vibrant, still a bit of tannin, pretty red cherry and plum fruit with orange peel, earth, Doesn't budge over 3 hours. I'll not contest those who claim there's a bit of Taurasi fortification here. A-/B+

1990 Tommasi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Veneto Italy. I love this wine, and like it in the winter with Val d'Aoste type foods, like we had tonight. Very pretty, but perhaps a bit single note in this company. 3*. But much higher on another night with the temps in the twenties and thirties.

1999 Domaine Arlaud Morey "Les Ruchots" Cuvee Unique Morey-St.-Denis 1er Cru Burgundy France. North Berkeley Imports. Purple red color, medium hue, good aromas of berries, restrained tastes of berries and strawberries, some earthen notes, and a bit of mineral, medium mouth feel, somewhat oaky, long single note finish. Needs more time in bottle and certainly needed more time than I was able to give it tonight. Not fair to rate in such company and without really giving the wine a chance to develop -- but life is unfair. 2*+. [My rating system is really designed to help me find wines, not primarily to judge them.]

Notes:

NBI: Hervé and Cyprien Arlaud are a father-and-son team who work very closely together, both in their estate-owned vineyards in Morey-St.-Denis and in the cellar. Since 1998, the Arlauds have dramatically reduced their yields, using vigorous, multiple green harvests to deepen the color of their wines and improve on their already formidable concentration.
Domaine Arlaud seems to have a “house style” that can be and has been defined as “liquid hedonism.” Call it juiciness, silkiness, or even sexiness; this unique style is present in every bottle of unfined, unfiltered Arlaud wine we import. These are Burgundies of uncommon softness, depth, and grace. The Arlaud lineup includes one of the better Bourgogne Rouge vineyards, called “Roncevie,” impressive wines from the village of Chambolle-Musigny, and not to mention some of the most memorable grand cru wines of Gevrey-Chambertin and Morey-St.-Denis.

The synergy between Cyprien and his father is the reason Domaine Arlaud has been on a winning streak since the 1999 vintage. Cyprien, having studied and worked in wineries abroad, has already seen more of the world than his father. Of the two, he has the more outgoing personality, and is more willing to innovate. The exchange between the younger and older generations in Burgundy can be fraught with misunderstanding, yet father and son have tremendous respect for one another.

Morey-St.-Denis "Les Ruchots" is a tiny vineyard just below Bonnes-Mares and Clos du Tart. This vineyard produces wines with more complexity and nobility than many grand crus.

Mark Lipton: "In Burgundy, at least, Cuvée Unique seems to equate with the NBI "barrel program." OTOH, I've had a few Clos du Caillou CdRs that were labeled Cuvée Unique and showed no sign of new oak, so perhaps David Hinkle doesn't like new oak in his Grenache..."

The service was excellent, and the food -- generally rustic dishes from Valle d'Aosta with a sampling from elsewhere in Italy. The whites went well with a fresh tomato/cucumber salad, and all of the reds improved Fettuccine with porcini flavored veal ragu and the somewhat overcooked veal shanks. Overall, a very pretty little west side restaurant, perhaps a little noisy for an offline, but good value.

I always love it when the group votes for WOTN, but I left too early, so here's my scorecard:

5* 1980 Henri Boillot "Les Rugiens" Pommard
4*+ 1958 Vallana Spanna
4* 2004 Donnhöff Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg
4* 1978 Château Haut-Bailly
4* 2004 Bibi Graetz "Bugia Bianco"
3*+ 2006 Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling
3* 1990 Tommasi Amarone
2*+ 1999 Domaine Arlaud Morey "Les Ruchots" [I needed more time ... and maybe the wine did.]
2*+ NV Camille Savès Champagne [Plenty of time; liked the poem better!]

There were two other wines I would have loved to try ... but Ted was waiting, and we both had miles to go, and work to do early in the morning.

A great, great evening. Thanks all for wonderful companionship, great wines, and good foods.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:58 am

Sure looks like a fun evening, Dale. Thanks for the write up.

Bob, I'm glad the Vallana was good to you!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:12 am

Bob Ross wrote:1980 Henri Boillot "Les Rugiens" Pommard 1er Cru Burgundy France. Oh, my heart. I loved this wine. Farm boy to the heart.

Must be a pretty fancy farm you're accustomed to :wink:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:24 am

Nice note, Bob.

We had too many wines, and only the Pommard was drained I think. There was probably 4-5 oz left of the Spanna. I took it, and gave it to my friend Jacques last night (I warned it could be gone, but on other hand it didn't budge in 3 hours at table). Last month he had said he had never had a drinkable birthyear ('58) wine, I had told him the Vallana Spanna. Hopefully it stood up to a day in bottle ok (and Jacques had energy to taste after all the SOBER wines). Hope it was ok we passed on!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:41 pm

"Bob, I'm glad the Vallana was good to you!"

Thanks for turning me on to it, Bill. I bought two bottles and I'm intrigued to see if the second one drinks like the first.

Tonight's bottle came roaring out of the gate at 100mph and held that same speed for over two hours. :)

BTW, I would like to find your tasting note on this wine, but I wasn't able to find it on any of the WLDG collections. Do you still have a copy?

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:45 pm

"Must be a pretty fancy farm you're accustomed to :) "

Ah, Rahsaan, tons of brett of at least 20 different aromas, and a continual daily supply to boot. A hundred acres of earth, with hundreds of different aromas. 20 acres of forest floor -- a wide range of aromas from damp marsh to arid gravel. And mushrooms -- at least 25 varieties.

This wine captured a lovely sampling of many of my memories -- and it had a character all its own as well.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:47 pm

'Hope it was ok we passed on!"

I'm delighted, Dale. It was such a nice wine -- I can see why you've tasted it so often.

Thanks for the generous comments and to you and Betsy for bringing three very nice wines.

BTW, your emails just arrived, apparently held up by Hotmail according to a note. The check's in the mail! :)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:50 pm

Do you still have a copy?
Email enroute
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:21 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Ah, Rahsaan, tons of brett of at least 20 different aromas, and a continual daily supply to boot. A hundred acres of earth, with hundreds of different aromas. 20 acres of forest floor -- a wide range of aromas from damp marsh to arid gravel. And mushrooms -- at least 25 varieties.

Aha, now I get the reference. Good show!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:02 pm

Thank you all for such a lovely evening with great people and amazing wines! It was so worth hopping on the Amtrak all the way from Philly! Dale - please show my Umbrian Serenades website to Betsy so she can look through our photo gallery - she will enjoy seeing pictures of Spoleto. What a joy to find out we were both there during the summers of 85 and 86! Small world!!

I will add my short and personal observations:

2004 Bibi Graetz "Bugia Bianco" (Toscana )

I remember this being a deeper gold color with unusual toast, almost full bodied than what I am normally used to in an Italian white.

Very refreshing, appley, and floral

Did not impress me at first but later in the evening, mid dinner and post dinner it was a true delight.

1980 Henri Boillot "Les Rugiens" Pommard 1er Cru

Also my WOTN, that went perfectly with my veal lasagna - one of the most amazing wine food matches I have ever experienced in my life! Delicate earth and mushrooms, as well as a dreamy walk through the woods after a morning Spring shower; the wine's fruit was a ghost that faintly lingered amid the wet fog after the rain. Thank you, Dale!!!

1978 Haut-Bailly (Graves)

As delicate and elegant this wine was, it showed too much coffee espresso after the Pommard that killed my Boillot buzz. While a beautiful wine, I realized I'm friendly with Bordeaux, but I would sell my soul to Burgundy.

1958 Vallana Spanna

I would say I was amazed at how youthful this wine showed despite the vintage year. This was the oldest wine I have ever had to this date. Oddly enough, it took me back to the 1991 Musar I had a few weeks back - in a very good way - truly an amazing wine experience that I hope to carry with me for the rest of my life. Thank you, Bob!!!

1990 Tommasi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico

This wine pricked my tongue all over - deep warmth but not jammy.

1999 Domaine Arlaud Morey "Les Ruchots" Cuvee Unique St. Denis 1er Cru

I enjoyed this wine, but again, after so many wines my palate was already on overload.

NV Glenora Port

Being that I am not a port fan, and so many wines available, I decided to skip this.

Funky on the nose, but refreshing berry fruit on the palate - not very complicated; interesting combination with the Belgian chocolate dessert. Not worth the price that I paid for, unfortunately.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:32 pm

"Aha, now I get the reference. Good show!"

I was weed whacking an hour ago, Rahsaan, and realized that I should have mentioned the aromas of shooting stars, wild violets. crab apple blossoms [they smell like the taste of apples, the only apple blossom I know of that does], and a 100 year old lilac bush in bloom.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:20 pm

Paulo, it was so nice to meet you in person. A delightful evening!

Did you taste the Champagne? I always connect opera and Champagne, but maybe opera singers don't?

Thanks for all your comments.

Regards, Bob

PS: I've had lots of crappy Champagne at operas over the years, frankly, but not very many crappy opera singers. Loved the operas much more than the wines. :) B.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:38 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Paulo, it was so nice to meet you in person. A delightful evening!

Did you taste the Champagne? I always connect opera and Champagne, but maybe opera singers don't?

Thanks for all your comments.

Regards, Bob

Yes, indeed I did, Bob! The only thing I'd add is that I got some apple sauce notes on it. I had just had some green tea before coming to dinner, so I did not trust my palate on the first taste of the evening. Jay mentioned it possibly being corked close to the end of the evening - might have been after you had left.

And, yes, opera and champagne goes very well! 8)
Next