The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Montepulciano (the grape, that is)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Montepulciano (the grape, that is)

by Saina » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:19 pm

Half-blind, as (almost) always - though in this case, with all producers unknown to me it wouldn't have mattered whether fully open or blind!

fully blind starter
Girolamo Dorigo Pignolo di Buttrio Vigneto Ronc di Juri 1996 was showing a bit of age and had rye-bread on the nose in addition to some attractive red berry and earth scents. The palate was a touch tannic, but more red berry oriented. Nice, but I would have liked to taste it a year or two ago. When revealed, some tasters said that a bottle a month ago had been much younger and this was unrepresentative.

Moroder: Rosso Conero Dorico 1997 had scents of pine and loam - nice! Red toned fruit and attractive structure; bright and refreshing. Ergo, it was much to my taste.

Az. Ag. Valentini: Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 1997 had a funky nose of soap and loam and red berries - weird but I liked it. The palate was also weird and followed the nose logically: at the same time it was dirty yet bright and refreshing. Nice - but so weird that I don't think many will like it.

Fattoria La Valentina: Bellevedere Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2001 was less bright and had darker toned fruit than the previous but was still nice and loamy. Sweet fruit, a touch funky, but still in a more modern style. I like it.

Fattoria La Valentina:Binomio Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2001 was oaky and creamy. Not to my taste.

Oasi Degli Angeli: Kurni 2002 (Marche) was an oaky mess - even more so than the Binomio!

Az. Agr. Bucci: Villa Bucci Rosse Piceno 2001 (Marche DOC Rosse Piceno: 70%M+30%Sangio) was a rather lovable wine: bright, pure, red toned, earthy. Sweet fruit, but lovely acidity yet not abrasive in any way. Beautiful balance and purity. Very nice!

Velenosi: Ludi 2003 (Rosso delle Marche IGT: 60M+CS/Merl40) was too oaky, too sweet, too raisiny.

Dino Illuminati: Lumen Riserva 2003 (DOC Controguerra, Abruzzo+Molise; M65+CS35) was spoofy and just like the Ludi. Being the second tasting of the day, I was having trouble with the styles of wine not to my taste despite spitting most of the wines.

To cleanse my palate I had a sip of Douzet Sancerre 2006 which was like a hypothetical mix of NZ and Loire in its chilli and mineral scents. Weird mix, but it worked and cleared my mouth! :)

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Montepulciano (the grape, that is)

by Tim York » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 am

I have been longing to try Kurni but this doesn't sound my sort of wine. Apparently they run a wonderful Agriturismo (B&B) business.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Montepulciano (the grape, that is)

by Mark S » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Half-blind, as (almost) always - though in this case, with all producers unknown to me it wouldn't have mattered whether fully open or blind!

fully blind starter
Girolamo Dorigo Pignolo di Buttrio Vigneto Ronc di Juri 1996 was showing a bit of age and had rye-bread on the nose in addition to some attractive red berry and earth scents. The palate was a touch tannic, but more red berry oriented. Nice, but I would have liked to taste it a year or two ago. When revealed, some tasters said that a bottle a month ago had been much younger and this was unrepresentative.

What's this doing in the montepulciano lineup?? It's all pignolo as I understand it.