The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Chez de Villaine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: 2005 Chez de Villaine

by Florida Jim » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Domaine A. et P. de Villaine, make some of my favorite Burgundy varietals from their vineyards on the Côte Chalonnaise. In a vaunted vintage like 2005, I was excited to get to taste their wines.
Of course, Aubert de Villaine’s “day job” is at DRC where organic viticulture, low yields, manual harvesting, strict sorting and natural vinification are the norm. He operates his own estate the same way and the wines, year in and year out, demonstrate that attention.
These are imported by Kermit Lynch and all report in at 12.5% alcohol.

First up was the Bourgogne (blanc), Les Clous which, as anyone who buys the wine regularly can tell you, is meant to be aged (minimum 5-7 years).
On day one it was very tight both aromatically and in the mouth but showed Chablis-like structure, solid minerality and ripe fruit peeking through. But drinking this now is silly; it is barely a suggestion of what is to come.
On day two, it’s tight but some of the light oak (as it should be used – to barely frame the wine), ripe fruits, complexity and remarkable finesse shows through. Not fully integrated but showing enough depth, character, structure and style to convince me that I need to buy a healthy number of bottles.
About $25; I’d buy it again.

Next, was the Bourgogne (rouge), La Fortune that is made from younger vines and intended to be drunk in its first five years of life.
On day one, this was exuberantly spicy, intensely fruited, and bursting with fresh fruit scents and flavors. I am delighted to find little evidence of wood, brisk acidity and precise balance even as this bottle delivers potent flavors and some grip.
On day two, the spice has toned down a bit but it’s augmented with fresh black cherry flavors; it also exhibits more textural density. Lovely for drinking now or short term cellaring.
About $25; I’d buy it again.

The Bourgogne, La Digoine is produced from a vineyard near La Fortune with the same exposition but with older vines. While usually drinkable on release, it requires a decade in bottle to fully develop.
On day one, it was reserved showing black fruit, loam and stones on the nose; firmer on the palate yet with old vine sap apparent and showing more length and grip than the preceding wine. Obviously, needs some time.
On day two, this is still firm, focused and stony but there’s more “there” there in terms of both its depth and character. Fuller at mid-palate yet quite youthful and vigorous, this is very much the kind of Burgundy I want in my cellar and clearly, it requires cellaring.
About $30; I’d buy it again.

Lastly, the Mercury, Les Montots is from a vineyard situated on a steep slope with a southern exposure and the vines were originally selected from Nuits-Saint-Georges. This wine often does not show it’s all until seven plus years in the bottle and will develop for twenty.
On day one this is darker and almost brooding on the nose but with some floral high notes; focused and structured in the mouth it shows meat, earth and fresh herb tones that are more opulent than the preceding wine, and it has a long finish with considerable grip. Upon tasting, my first thought is that this should be served with duck; it has the concentration and cut for the dish and the flavors seem to call out for dark meat poultry. Also needs time.
On day two, primary and substantial both on the nose and palate but with more breadth than the preceding reds and a sappy, slightly rustic delivery that again, calls out for duck. So young but so expressive.
About $35; I’d buy it again.

None of these wines remind me of anything else; all are clearly different from each other and of their place. They are also true to previous vintages but, I think, more amplified and precise. This producer understands and intends that terroir, however you define it, be present in its wines. Moreover, the textures here suggest that these wines have not been “fooled with;” rather, they are supple, clean, authentic, and, better still, seem to be “alive.”
All too often I find myself compromising when it comes to Burgundy varietals vis-à-vis their current prices. Here, at last, are wines where no compromise is required. Each is a beautiful and faithful expression of the vintage, place and maker.
My wife says these are the poor man’s DRC and I understand the reference. But these are more genuine than that; no attempt as been made to reproduce that which can not be reproduced; rather each are the essence of their unique vinous moment.
God bless Aubert de Villaine.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: 2005 Chez de Villaine

by Marc D » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:54 am

Jim,

Thanks very much for these notes. I've heard many nice things about the wines and have recently tracked down a source for the 05 Digoine and Montots. I actually opened a Montots this week but it was really badly corked, so much that I couldn't even get a glimmer of what the wine was like.

Anyway, your notes are encouraging and I hope to get a replacement for the corked Mercurey to try again soon. Thanks also for the suggested drinking windows, very helpful.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Damn. Can you understand I'm trying to slow wine buying- this is NOT helping. :)

thanks for notes
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:16 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Damn. Can you understand I'm trying to slow wine buying- this is NOT helping. :)

thanks for notes

Dale, I am with you. The good thing is that my local store probably doesn't carry these beauties.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Jim, thanks for the notes. I bought a selection of the 2005 Burgundies from Chambers Street -- these look like additional good choices.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:34 pm

I spend way too much money on wine. :(

I feel a need to visit Berkeley coming up. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach