The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Lafarge Bourgogne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2004 Lafarge Bourgogne

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Thursday Betsy made her standby duck recipe (legs slowbaked with a panko/mustard crust), mashed potato-celeriac, a fennel/radicchio salad, and some storebought escarole. Time for pinot, the 2004 Lafarge Bourgogne. Black cherries, blck plum, loamy earth, a little bitter chocolate. A bit tannic, but good length and acidity. This is one of those 2004s that some found green, but I don't see it. Oops, I thought this was first one I opened, but see my note on CT from Dec saying leave for a few years. Good advice, I should have followed, but this was tasty now. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: 2004 Lafarge Bourgogne

by Marc D » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Dale,

I read your earlier note in cellar tracker and stuck my bottles deep in the cellar. Maybe I should dig one out? The other 04 I tried (Barthod Bon Batons) definitely needs more time.

BTW, I received an futures offer for the 05 Lafarge wines last week and tried to order some of the Volnays. The store called back and said they were sold out in 2 hours, but had 2 bottles of the bourgogne and some passetoutgrains left (on futures). Things have gotten completely crazy.

Have you opened any 2002 Lafarge Bourgogne recently?

Thanks for the update.

Marc
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:56 pm

Marc,
I'm embarrassed I forgot I had tasted this wine. :oops:
I think this has plenty of stuffing to age a bit, so why not let rest to let tannins integrate a bit.
Haven't tasted '02 recently, I like Lafarge Bourgogne with a bit of age ('99 and 2000 are a pointe now, but I'm about out). Next up the '01, hopefully softened a bit.
Yeah, doubting I'll be able to score any '05 Lafarge Volnays, I am heading to Savigny for Bize, Pavelot, etc
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:47 pm

I had to call quick to get a few bottles of the 05's Lafarges. The Volnays were still a reasonable price considering. I also buried teh 04 Bourgognes as well as the Volnays. I am also curious if I should dig at least the Bourgognes back up.

Anyone else here like his Aligotes? I love then when I can get my hands on them.