The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: The Women Drink Chave and a Couple of Spanish Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

TN: The Women Drink Chave and a Couple of Spanish Wines

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:49 pm

A much anticipated gathering got off to a rocky start. Cindy missed the train on which we were to meet and travel into the city together - she caught the next one 30 minutes later. Cheryl showed up at the wrong restaurant (I would have publicly dissed this restaurant for canceling a reservation we had made there, but they were very kind to her). I wasn't certain that I would actually be able to attend due to severe back pain that had plagued me for over a week, but I felt well enough to contend with the 2 hour journey each way.
The restaurant was Tocqueville and they seemed pleased to accomodate us with fine service and mostly good food.
A huge disappointment was our kickoff wine. 2001 Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet Les Combettes that was badly corked. I had two bottles of the 2001 Les Perrieres within the last year that were stupendous and I was looking forward to this one. We thought about ordering a white off the list, but felt we had enough wine without it. However, we never anticipated a second corked wine.
Second in our lineup was the 1994 Chave Hermitage and it nullified our disappointment over the corked Sauzet with its beautiful floral nose. Smoky, a touch of animal with a charming sweetness on the mid palate that ended with a silky, lingering finish. This is the wine we sipped while studying the menu and enjoying a very nice amuse bouche of salmon mousse with a swirl of pungent mustard.
Appetizers were served - a couple had the softshell crab special, and the rest of us ordered the risotto with morels and spring peas, and the risotto was delicious.
Next up was a 1996 Clos Erasmus and it was deemed slightly corked. While not as bad as the Sauzet, everything about the wine was muted, and we traded in our glasses for the next two wines with our exceptionally delicious mid course of scallops and foie gras.
1987 Vega Sicilia Unico - a wine that continued to change throughout dinner. It started out very tight with a jolt of acidity on the end, but smoothed out with time, and I thought it especially nice with my lamb entree.
1998 Bodegas Mauro Vino de Mesa de Castilla y Leon Vendimia Seleccionada - from what I understand this wine is from the same winemaker as the Unico. Leaning towards new world, some mouth coating chocolate with a sour cherry finish, it was a good contrast with the Unico and a wine that seems to have enough stuffing to go out a few more years.
There was some disappointment with our entrees, and a couple of steaks that were ordered rare were returned as they were served medium. The weakness in the entrees was my only complaint with the dinner.
Our sticky was a 1990 Chateau De Fargues - a light body showing nice honey and figs. This with a couple of delicious desserts and a cheese plate rounded out our dinner.
__________________.
Diane
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: TN: The Women Drink Chave and a Couple of Spanish Wines

by Marc D » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:32 am

Diane, it sounds like a great bottle of the '94 Chave. I have heard others mention that it is drinking really nicely right now. Sorry about the 2 corked bottles. I just had a corked bottle after a streak of 34 intact bottles, so two during a special wine dinner seems especially unfortunate.

Thanks for the note. I hope your back feels better.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:14 pm

Oh, how I envy you that Chave. Syrah is not my favorite wine grape by a long shot, but Chave Hermitage is one of my favorite wines period and it's the animale thing you mentioned that seems to really push my buttons. Lovely wine, and too bad about the corked wines. Sauzet is one of my favorite white burg producers, I'd have been crying over that for sure.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:18 pm

What's a guy got to do to get invited? :wink:

Great wines. The 1996 Erasmus is nice (not as big as the 97,98,99), but it would be hard pressed to go against an Unico and Chave.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks for the note. I hope your back feels better.

Thank you, Marc. The back pain is still there, but I've noticed a little improvement. Physical therapy seems to be helping.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, how I envy you that Chave. Syrah is not my favorite wine grape by a long shot, but Chave Hermitage is one of my favorite wines period and it's the animale thing you mentioned that seems to really push my buttons. Lovely wine, and too bad about the corked wines. Sauzet is one of my favorite white burg producers, I'd have been crying over that for sure.

I've loved every Sauzet I've had, so this was especially upsetting. I was so concerned with the possibility of oxidation, I forgot to worry about the possibility of it being corked!
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:38 pm

What's a guy got to do to get invited?

My husband has been asking the same question :)
Diane
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:55 am

Jenise wrote:Oh, how I envy you that Chave. Syrah is not my favorite wine grape by a long shot, but Chave Hermitage is one of my favorite wines period and it's the animale thing you mentioned that seems to really push my buttons. Lovely wine, and too bad about the corked wines. Sauzet is one of my favorite white burg producers, I'd have been crying over that for sure.

On the syrah front....the other night I was drinking the second of 6 bottles of Clos Mimi that I purchased on the recommendation of a trusted retailer. Clos Mimi is a smallish California syrah offering - and probably not your "typical" syrah (high alcohol at about 14.5 or 15%) in terms of French producers.

I did not care for my first bottle all that much and the second generated a pretty much "ho-hum" reaction as well. I tend to like some of the French syrahs a bit more - but even then i have to sort of be in the mood for it.

And so I was thinking to myself.....you know I guess I'm just really not a big syrah fan
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:03 am

John F wrote:And so I was thinking to myself.....you know I guess I'm just really not a big syrah fan

John,
If you still think this after drinking a Jamet Cote Rotie with 10-15 years of bottle age only then can you say you're not a fan.
'Winger the Jamet Slut
Smile, it gives your face something to do!