The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Career Path??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

New Career Path??

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Several weeks ago I submitted a resume to Montesquieu Wines, and lo and behold they actually called me for an interview. I've got no experience in wine sales, but I've got a lot of practical experience dealing with various clientele, a decent resume with a track record for longevity, and of course...a deep interest and passion for wine.

So anyway...I'm nervous! I haven't interviewed in almost 10 years.

Any tips from those of you who are in the business or who might know someone who is? Are there any questions that I should be sure to ask? Any red flags to look for? I'm pretty darn comfortable w/ my current employer, so this would be a huge leap for me (this is assuming they're interested after speaking with me).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

M.Todd

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:01 pm

Re: New Career Path??

by M.Todd » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:42 pm

K Story,
I myself have recently changed careers/industries. It is sure nice knowing that your life skills can be transferable into new areas of work. As far as advice, make sure you enjoy your work regardless of what it is. Stay passionate for what you do during the day and the rest of your day is pleasant as well.

M.Todd
M.Todd
Enjoy today!
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:08 pm

I have no personal knowledge of them, but FWIW, here is a comment from a friend in reply to another friend, both of whom I will leave anonymous:

"Ah yes, Montesquieu. We know them well, XXX. They used to go by the name Jakob Gerhardt, then they apparently bought a French winemaking chateau (Montesquieu), not known for particularly great wines. I guess Jakob Gerhardt was getting a fairly bad reputation because of the shady tactics of the brokers, as well as some of the business practices of the company. I've read, and heard, numerous tales like yours of people pressured into buying wines at much higher prices than the wines are worth, usually. The wines aren't always as advertised, and the folks have had problems dealing with Gerhardt, now Montesquieu, to rectify the situation. Everytime this comes up here, or on other boards, there's a rash of postings from one time posters with profile addresses all over the country. All of them religiously defend Montesquieu like they're some sort of brainwashed cult followers, but the language of all the posts is almost identical, as if they got some type of prepared script from the company and altered it just slightly to sound original. Now, there are some companies out there who sell by brokers that are entirely reputable, I've bought from some myself, but I really don't believe that Montesquieu is one of them. Send the wine back and get your money returned."

I would think long and hard before jumping into bed with them. They may be legitimate, but I am troubled by the above message.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:12 pm

K Story wrote:Several weeks ago I submitted a resume to Montesquieu Wines, and lo and behold they actually called me for an interview. I've got no experience in wine sales, but I've got a lot of practical experience dealing with various clientele, a decent resume with a track record for longevity, and of course...a deep interest and passion for wine.

So anyway...I'm nervous! I haven't interviewed in almost 10 years.

Any tips from those of you who are in the business or who might know someone who is? Are there any questions that I should be sure to ask? Any red flags to look for? I'm pretty darn comfortable w/ my current employer, so this would be a huge leap for me (this is assuming they're interested after speaking with me).

If your interview is with this Montesquieu Wines, then I can perhaps address your question.

Out of curiosity I interviewed with these folks as well. I went into San Francisco, got put in a little room all by myself by the receptionist, and watched a very "interesting" DVD about the company. The actual hiring manager did not not come out to greet me, nor did I hang around to meet him after the DVD was over.

This Montesquieu was basically a typical telemarketing operation selling odd lots of wine for high prices to people who pretty much didn't know better. It was 100% commission after 6 months, despite their ad's stating that there was a regular salary. There was indeed money to be made, but not in a way I would want to make it. (It was a shame, too. The SF location was really great with some good restaurants and wine bars nearby.)

It was the farthest thing from my mind when I think of the wine industry. No, I am not deluded by some kind of romantic vision of the wine industry, but this place took the worst of everything I know and put into one spot.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Randy and Gary - thanks so much for your feedback. I'm really glad I posted here, because although I don't consider myself naiive, I really know nothing of the company other than what is on their website.

I obviously don't want to go to work with someone who doesn't have a good, honest rep; nor would I ever accept something that was mostly commission.

Not sure now whether or not I'll waste time out of my workday to go down there. On the off chance that I do, I'll post my impressions.

Thanks again, lots!!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Indeed if this is the operation that Gary and Randy are referring to, they seem to be a bit controversial, as discussed hereand here.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:02 pm

Yikes!! I've read the links (and the links within) from Keith, and they sound just horrible! Sheesh, telemarketing...what a sucker I feel like! Although I guess I woulda been a sucker if I hadn't asked - fortunately this fabulous resource exists. Gotta love the internet!

Really, thanks again everyone. I'm so glad I checked and won't waste my time going down there.