The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2005 Orin Swift The Prisoner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2005 Orin Swift The Prisoner

by geo t. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:23 pm

2005 Orin Swift The Prisoner Napa Valley Red Wine, 48% Zinfandel, 26% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Syrah, 10% Petite Sirah, 2% Charbono, 15.2% alc., $35.99: I finally got a taste of this neighborhood crowd pleaser, thanks to a sample bottle from the local distributor, and, at first, I was going to state that I wouldn’t call the almost-opaque purple garnet a travesty or an atrocity, because it’s not quite THAT bad (although it’s not even close to anything that I’d refer to as real wine). But, the more I taste it, the more it impresses me as a real deviant-kind-of-grape beverage. There’s not much more than a little bramble-briar on the nose, and the fat-a$$ toast, mocha, toffee and root beer flavors obliterate any identifiable fruit. Full bodied, low in acids and a bit more than moderately tannic, this is a poster child for what some folks refer to as “spoofalated;” in short, it’s a horribly manipulated, over-oaked wine.

“What kind of food would you drink this with,” I asked my better half, “ice cream, or some kind of fruit pie?” “Maybe the pie,” she replied, because it surely doesn’t work with a good New York strip (I knew it wouldn’t after the first sip, but went ahead with the match-up for the sake of documentation). We decided that, despite its sweet nature, it probably wouldn’t even work with BBQ beef or pork, because it doesn’t have the acidity to stand up to the fatty character of the meat. BBQ chicken, maybe? I don’t think so, and I’ll probably never find out, because I’m not inclined to ever put this in my mouth again, but I’d imagine that fans of Cinq Cepages will love it. The obviously Sine Qua Non-esque label is a real plus too, but that’s been hashed over already.

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time…

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: TN: 2005 Orin Swift The Prisoner

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Blech! :x
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Blech! :x

I think we are in agreement here.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :lol:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:03 pm

Absolute agreement... :shock:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:44 pm

Otto is very quiet today!!!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:33 am

Can I admit that, while I can probably guess you are absolutely right, the 2004 vintage was one of my favorite spoofalated wines? :oops: :oops:

Sometimes spoof is good to sip. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:00 am

Have you figured out what you did to piss off the distributor enough to give you this wine??
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:58 am

Redwinger wrote:Have you figured out what you did to piss off the distributor enough to give you this wine??
'Winger

Um, yeah..., I bought a case for my department without tasting it first.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :roll:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:00 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Can I admit that, while I can probably guess you are absolutely right, the 2004 vintage was one of my favorite spoofalated wines? :oops: :oops:

Sometimes spoof is good to sip. :oops:

Hey Brian, I liked Clos de los Siete the first time I tried it, but it was all downhill from there. Different strokes and all that...

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:43 am

The one past vintage of this I had was pretty jammy, no doubt a vintage characteristic, and otherwise just as you say. I was given two bottles, so the second one basically disappeared into the cellar and was eye with distrust for many years. I still didn't love it, but it was less fat and the cab had kicked in. Would never buy myself.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:01 pm

Jenise wrote:Would never buy myself.

Ditto.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Hey Georgie,
We tried the 2005 Prisoner this morning down at the local shop. Tasted out of 16oz. beer cups and I believe the plasticene actually improved this wine. I didn't detect quite as much oak (it was there) but the rest of your notes are spot on. The group divided about 50/50 on haters vs. lovers.
I pretty much thought it was awful...especially at the $33 price tag. Strangly, I asked one of the folks who seemed to like the wine what food he would serve with this. He said: I dunno, beef jerky?
ASIG,
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:59 pm

Redwinger wrote:Hey Georgie,
We tried the 2005 Prisoner this morning down at the local shop. Tasted out of 16oz. beer cups and I believe the plasticene actually improved this wine. I didn't detect quite as much oak (it was there) but the rest of your notes are spot on. The group divided about 50/50 on haters vs. lovers.
I pretty much thought it was awful...especially at the $33 price tag. Strangly, I asked one of the folks who seemed to like the wine what food he would serve with this. He said: I dunno, beef jerky?
ASIG,
'Winger

Beef jerky indeed, 'winger!

It's amazing that some people who've chimed in that they really like this wine are those that I never would have expected to do so.Who'da thunk it?!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:18 am

It's not a wine that I would buy, but I had a sip at holiday party and thought it was better than most here. I said a B and a guilty pleasure. I don't mind an occasional big oaky sweet red, as long as I don't have to drink it with a meal.