The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bolla Valpolicella 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

WTN: Bolla Valpolicella 2004

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:22 pm

My first stab at real notes here, so be easy!

Stopped off at a different store on my way home, and walked out with this Bolla Valpolicella 2004 $9.49. Never heard of the grape before, so I thought "why not?"

I kinda sorta wish I hadn't...

Little nose upon opening. Nice ruby color. First taste almost had me puckered, like almost-ripe blackberries. I think I finally realize what is meant by a 'tight' wine. A little fruit, but smothered by the tartness. Astringent finish. Didn't go that well with the plate of pulled pork and hot sauce from Albert G's. Sticking the rest in the fridge until tomorrow to see if it loosens up any. Glad I didn't spend more on it.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

Re: WTN: Bolla Valpolicella 2004

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 pm

Postscript: I finally had to pour a shot of Knob Creek bourbon to reset the ol' taste buds. My house bourbon, in fact.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Robert R. wrote:My first stab at real notes here, so be easy!

Stopped off at a different store on my way home, and walked out with this Bolla Valpolicella 2004 $9.49. Never heard of the grape before, so I thought "why not?"

I kinda sorta wish I hadn't...

Little nose upon opening. Nice ruby color. First taste almost had me puckered, like almost-ripe blackberries. I think I finally realize what is meant by a 'tight' wine. A little fruit, but smothered by the tartness. Astringent finish. Didn't go that well with the plate of pulled pork and hot sauce from Albert G's. Sticking the rest in the fridge until tomorrow to see if it loosens up any. Glad I didn't spend more on it.

Congrats on being the 1000'th, Roger!

About the Valpo, I had the exact same experience with the Bolla stuff, very tight and tart. i did the same thing too, stuck it in the fridge praying for a better tomorrow.
Won't happen.
But I could be wrong.
Let me know if it actually does loosen up a bit. Mine sure didn't.
I don't know if it's the winemaker or if it's an inherent Valpo-style.
Nonetheless, this is THE place to be to find the answers-- right here on The Forum :wink:
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Aaron. I honestly don't think I've ever had a wine as tart as this one.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:57 am

Robert R. wrote:My first stab at real notes here, so be easy!

Never heard of the grape before, so I thought "why not?"

Your notes are fine. Keep posting them.
Just FYI, Valpolicella is not a grape, it's a DOC - in other words, a specific area, and only wine made from grapes grown in this specific area may be called Valpolicella. Among the grapes used to produce it are Corvina Veronese , Rondinella, and Molinara.

The problem wasn't with the variety of wine you chose, but the producer. Bolla is a mass producer, and IMO doesn't do a very good job of it.
Look for Valpolicella made from smaller producers. Some names to look for - Tommaso Bussola, Allegrini, Tedeschi, Tommasi, Anselmo

It is worth noting that some producers have moved away from traditional, light styled "trattoria" Valpolicella, and into the realm of more international wines.
A good retailer can tell you which wines are made in which style - try some from each and see what you prefer.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks, John, for the insights into this. I have a lot to learn about wine, and mostly it has been hit-or-miss when picking a wine at the store. This site has already helped a lot!
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 pm

Welcome, and thanks for the note.
Just to confuse things a bit, there is also a wine called a valpolicello ripasso, made by passing the fermented valpolicello over the skins and must that was used to make the regions top wine, amarone, This valpolicello ripasso picks up deeper and more complex flavors, and costs a bit more, but can be realy good stuff. Examples are secco bertani valpolicello ripasso, masi campofiorin, etc... If you continue your investigation of the wines of this part of italy (veneto) you might just try some ripasso's as a comparison.
Have fun.
And enjoy the ride.
-OW
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:59 pm

I pretty much agree with John Tomasso's opinion of Bolla as a producer, but I think it's worth noting that even good versions of non-ripasso Valpolicella (you'll sometimes see "Classico" and/or "Superiore" on the label too) will often be somewhat tart with a pleasant touch of bitterness. I often get charcoal notes, too. Your "almost-ripe blackberries" descriptor sure struck a familiar chord for me, Robert.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:20 pm

God knows I've bitten into many almost-ripe blackberries in my day! :lol:

Seriously though, I may give Valpolicella another try, but it won't be a Bolla. 24 hours in the fridge hasn't done a thing for this one. I'd pour it out, but I'm too cheap to waste it! :oops:
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:18 am

Robert R. wrote:God knows I've bitten into many almost-ripe blackberries in my day! :lol:

Seriously though, I may give Valpolicella another try, but it won't be a Bolla. 24 hours in the fridge hasn't done a thing for this one. I'd pour it out, but I'm too cheap to waste it! :oops:

If you don't like it, pour it out!!!! What's the saying - "Life's too short to drink bad wine."

It may be that your tastes run toward the fruit forward wines with no harsh corners, i.e., low acid and low tannin components. If that is the case, I'm sure there must be some Veneto wines that fit that mold, but more likely Australia or California would be your better hunting ground.
-OW
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:57 am

Robert, sometime last year we did an Open Mike Valpolicella here on this forum. A quick search should help in your next Veneto buying trip!!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Robert R. wrote:God knows I've bitten into many almost-ripe blackberries in my day! :lol:

Don't waste it, cook it! Spaghetti sauce...Coq au Vin....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Normally my tastes do run towards tartness, it's just that in this case, there is nothing to balance it, not a hint of sweetness or mild undertones, just sour.