The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Gobelsburger Riesling, Schloss Gobelsburger

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2006 Gobelsburger Riesling, Schloss Gobelsburger

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Glass at Wallse, an Austrian restaurant in lower Manhattan.
Pale straw color, almost completely transparent.
Lemon/grapefruit zest scent. Crisp and defined on the palate. Some acidity and nicely structured. Enjoyed this with appetizer of white asparagus (Spargel) with ham and tarragon sauce and main course of schnitzel with cucumber-potato salad, lingonberries, and side dish of spatzle. Portions were quite large and I didn't finish off any of the servings after the appetizer. No room for dessert but I did have dessert on a previous visit to NYC and found it very tasty. (Small restaurant that seems to attract local businessmen and couples and the night I visited had some Austrian and Swiss gentlemen enjoying the repast.)
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Re: WTN: 2006 Gobelsburger Riesling, Schloss Gobelsburger

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:31 am

Lemon/grapefruit zest scent. Crisp and defined on the palate. Some acidity and nicely structured

That is much how I would put it too when I had the '05 with friends in Zurich not long ago. Back home, I found it on the web and placed an order with results that were not very satisfying. Although my credit card was charged right away, the order took a long time to arrive and then turned out to be the '06 instead.

It's much the same as I remember the '05, perhaps a little zingier but with that same nice lemon taste and long finish. The price was only around $12 too.

The same producer has an excellent Gruner Veltliner, also at a good price.