The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Yet another wine storage question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Yet another wine storage question

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:24 am

I understand problems caused by storing wines in a setting with wide variations in temps and with wine being stored too warm or too dry, but how would too humid effect a wine, if all other conditions were acceptable?
The issue came up in a conversation with my uncle. Many years ago, as he was apparently just getting into wine, he had several cases stored in his 'pump room'. The only negative condition, as I understand him, was dampness and the wine was practically ruined :( . What could have happened?
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

Re: Yet another wine storage question

by Ryan D » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:31 am

Possibly mold.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:21 pm

Seems weird to me. Mold could certainly form on the outside of the bottles and cork, but could it actually affect the wine?

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Seems weird to me. Mold could certainly form on the outside of the bottles and cork, but could it actually affect the wine?

Mike

Agreed. It might spoil labels, and the top of the cork, but it should have NO effect on the wine at all. The excessive moisture should actually be good for the cork, and prevent it from drying out.
-OW
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:40 pm

I agree - as long as there are no strong smells or chemicals, or heat / light / vibration issues, then excessive humidity will destroy the labels and perhaps damage older capsules. For collectors, this would be a tragedy, for enjoyers of wine, a very minor set-back.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:38 am

Well, with everyone in agreement that humidity alone could not be the problem, I'll have to explore the chain of custody/storage prior to my uncle's receipt or maybe some other factor. I think he bought these on futures (first growth Bordeaux, I might add) but who knows, maybe they say out on a runway in the sun and baked, that has happened before at Baltimore International.
Thanks - JP
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:04 pm

Jacques-Yves Cousteau, ecologist, , filmmaker, scientist, photographer, researcher, and diver who studied the sea and all forms of life in water, in one of the episodes of his TV series discovers bottles of wine submerged under water in a wreck of a wooden ship. I believe the wine was still “quite good and drinkable”. Cousteau and his crew had quite a feast aborad the Calypso. .

Salute