The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NV Burg, good rose, Bourriquot, Champy, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: NV Burg, good rose, Bourriquot, Champy, etc

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:07 am

Betsy was in city reading quartets Wednesday, I headed to the river park for the village jazz series. Lovely night by the river, clear skies, a steady breeze, comfortable temps. Heaven, except for the lack of Betsy. I enjoyed cold soup, cheeses, bread, and wine with friends:

NV Roncier
This is a Vin de Table, apparently from Burgundy (Fred said based in Mercurey). His parents buy for 2 euros, maybe its worth about that. He says all Pinot Noir. To me it tastes like underripe Gamay, or maybe a blend like Passetoutgrains. Red (but green) cherry fruit, shrill acidity, not much body but manages to have hard tannins. Short. C/C-

2006 Prevote Touraine Sauvignon
Much better, whew. Some grass, light citrus fruit, not a lot of complexity but clean SB fruit. B

2006 Chivite "Gran Fuedo" Rosado
Very nice, clean strawberry fruit with a little hint of ripe watermelon, good finish for a light-bodied wine,.a little hint of mineral to add complexity. Oh, nevermind, it doesn't need complexity, a nice crisp bright light-bodied rosé. Day 2 showed a little pleasant bitterness to the cherry/strawberry fruit, holding well. B/B+

1995 Champy Beaune 1erAccording to bottle this was a bottling to commemorate the 275th anniversary of the house of Champy. Picked up some cheap, decided to try the one bottle that had seepage (previously disclosed). Tight, hard, and sharp at opening. A little time softened the edges, with black cherry and raspberry fruit, a little orange zest, some earth. A couple hours after the concert it showed at its best, acidity framing a nice body of dark berry/cherry fruit, and some cedary notes. On day 2 it was showing too much in the way of oxidative notes -certainly drinkable, but with a slightly hot kirsch note. I'll give a B, a decent buy at $20, and hope maybe bottles in better shape might show better.

Thursday was dinner at home with the in-laws, Betsy made rib lamb chops in a rub of peppers and herbs, served with a tzatziki-like sauce, accompanied by bulgur with mushrooms and a green salad. I decided to just open a half-bottle, as we also sampled leftover rose and Burg. The 375 of the 1996 Havens Bourriquot (Napa) was a pretty nice bottle of red (Cab Franc/Merlot). Lush black raspberry and cassis fruit, mild vanilla notes, some cocoa emerging with time. Nicely balanced, enough acidity to keep lively, tannins integrated and smooth. A pointe for my tastes, though 750s might be less evolved. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency