The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Various Syrah/Shiraz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: Various Syrah/Shiraz

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:42 pm

We attended the season's final tasting at the Washington Wine & Cheese Seminar last Tuesday, where the theme was Syrah from all over. I don't think anyone (at least at our table) was overly impressed with any of them, and now that I'm looking at the price sheet, I can reiterate that with certainty.

NV The Black Chook Sparkling Shiraz ($19.99): This actually wouldn't be bad on a hot day with a plate of coldcuts or even pizza, but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

2004 Chateau de Surville Syrah/Grenache ($15.99): Smelled like a bandaid, very alcoholy, flabby, bitter/astringent tannins (can a wine be flabby and tannic at the same time?). The gouda that was served during the tasting did seem to improve this somehow, gave it a better mouthfeel. And after about an hour of being open, the wine overall did improve, but it was still pretty chewy. Probably would have benefited from a decanting.

2004 Napa Audesirk Syrah ($24.99): Jammy and way over-oaked, but I will give props to the silky texture and some nice cinnamon/spice notes.

2001 Warwick Shiraz ($23.99): Wow, this wine had a lot going on. Too much in fact, and the various notes of smoke, spice, menthol, and oregano just didn't integrate well. Chalky tannins. For some reason though, I kind of liked this wine - maybe because something about it reminded me of a pinotage (and go figure, it's a syrah from S. Africa). Wouldn't buy it, but it was probably the least of all the other evils.

2003 Casa Lapostolle Cuvee Alexander Syrah ($29.99): Sulfur, sulfur and more sulfur. Straight through the entire bottle, didn't let up for the duration. We checked with some other tables, and it was the same across the board.

To add insult to injury, the folks that gave this particular presentation spent 20 minutes at the beginning of the tasting reading outloud straight from the handouts they had given us regarding the various vineyards. They could have at least give us some bad wine to dull the pain while we sat through that!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Various Syrah/Shiraz

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Who puts on the seminars K? Is it a wine shop or different distributors? or a supposedly neutral wine educator? Also, it's too bad they didn't include a true northern Rhone (100% Syrah) or one from Washington State.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:19 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Who puts on the seminars K? Is it a wine shop or different distributors? or a supposedly neutral wine educator? Also, it's too bad they didn't include a true northern Rhone (100% Syrah) or one from Washington State.

JC, as I understand it's just a group of people who really like wine who have been getting together for years. I don't know if any of them have any formal education or industry experience. There are a handful of "core" members who are the glue, but different members submit ideas and can present the wines of their choosing. They hold it every Tuesday night (in an Episcopalian church if you can imagine that!) and I'd guess that there are between 60-96 participants at each event.

Truthfully, I haven't been particularly impressed by the selections at any of the events I've attended so far (which numbers three), with a few exceptions. However, the cost is only $20, you get bread and two different kinds of cheese to accompany the wine, and the atmosphere is extremely laid back and convivial...they even make an announcement at the beginning of each event that if you want to smoke, you need to go outside! It's an interesting, ecclectic and somewhat crusty bunch - but very friendly.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:23 pm

I can believe the Episcopal Church part. I've put on a few fundraising wine tastings in the parish hall of my church (which is an Episcopal church).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:24 pm

K, you know what, as someone who organizes tastings and charges $20 a head, $20 seems high for the (number and quality of) wines you tasted at this event. The choices seem more haphazard than deliberate. Mind you, Lapostolle and Warwick are very good producers from their respective countries. But the Surville had no business taking up space at a tasting with only five wines: it doesn't just contain grenache, it's "grenache-dominated" per one reviewer. I was unable to pin down the exact percentages, but it's really just a pleasant little quaffer and you learned absolutely nothing by tasting it. Oh, and yeah, you can have a flabby tannic wine--low acid grapes and lots of new oak (or oak chips, as may be more likely here.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN: Various Syrah/Shiraz

by Peter May » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:50 pm

K Story wrote: something about it reminded me of a pinotage (and go figure, it's a syrah from S. Africa).

Maybe you've only tasted Pinotage from South Africa and maybe the taste that you attribute to Pinotage is more to do with South African terroir and winemaking than the variety.

As far as I can see, the 2001 was the first and only varietal Shiraz released by Warwick Estate. Their shiraz subsequently is used in blends.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:10 pm

Peter May wrote:As far as I can see, the 2001 was the first and only varietal Shiraz released by Warwick Estate. Their shiraz subsequently is used in blends.

How common is syrah in South Africa? How recent? Like much of South African wine, perhaps it could be an interesting blend of old and new worlds..
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:01 pm

Rahsaan wrote: How common is syrah in South Africa? How recent? Like much of South African wine, perhaps it could be an interesting blend of old and new worlds..

Syrah plantings have increased dramatically in the past decade. In 1996 it had just 1.1% of total plantings, now it is 9.6% and still increasing, and it is now has the second largest plantings of red varieties after Cabernet S.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:38 pm

Peter May wrote:Syrah plantings have increased dramatically in the past decade. In 1996 it had just 1.1% of total plantings, now it is 9.6% and still increasing, and it is now has the second largest plantings of red varieties after Cabernet S.

Thanks. Interesting.

Does a good percentage of this go towards high quality bottlings?

Any general tendencies in the style/expression?

Do you think it will remain an important grape for SA once the short-term fad effect dies down?