The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dude, where's my car???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Dude, where's my car???

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:16 am

Our tasting group had their annual dinner last night. I didn't take formal notes, but most of the wines were sufficiently memorable.

We started with the Perrier-Jouet Rosé Champagne NV which was full of strawberry and tart cherry flavors. Quite nice.

The white wines being passed around included the 2002 Louis Latour Mersault which had some attractive pear and lemon flavors, but lacked any real distinctiveness. Much better was the 2005 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese* which showed all the richness of the 2005 vintage, but also good structure for aging. It also came in the glass stopper type cork. Hooray!

As we rolled into the food courses the reds came out. There was an Italian wine I did not get the name of, but also the 1998 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon which always reminds me of Bordeaux. It has earthy cherry flavors and a green/tobacco/herbal element that reminds me very much of Sociando Mallet which is a personal favorite producer. The best red of the night came next with the 1994 Woodward Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon served from magnum. Lots of fresh, primary fruit, but also very silky and rounded; a wine that has retained its youth while drinking as if it is well resolved. Fantastic!

Main course wines included the 1975 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon also served from magnum. This was in a great place with dusty red fruit, earth, cedar and spice all wrapped up in a soft, silken package. I've had the pleasure of many old vintages of Mayacamas, and this was right up there. I brought the 1995 Stag's Leap Petite Syrah (yes, that's how they spell it on the label) which was minty and earthy with lots of primary fruit, but not a ton of obvious tannin. it's drinking well now, but can likely hold for a long time with all that fruit.

Prior to being served our desserts we enjoyed the 1963 Sandeman Port which was vastly superior to other bottles of the same wine I have experienced in the past. A touch of alcoholic warmth blew off quickly to show candied cherries, sandalwood, almond, licorice and warm, dusty earth. A very fine '63 experience.

When all was done I handed my valet ticket over to the attendant to get my car. 45 minutes later I was on my way. After much "your car is coming right now" it was finally revealed that they had locked the key in my car & had to call to get the car unlocked. Whoever did the work of opening the vehicle was clearly good at their job because there were no obvious signs of "forced entry." Needless to say my parking was free.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Dude, where's my car???

by David Lole » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:21 pm

As a person who locks (and unlocks) cars on a more than regular basis than most, I'm glad (in one way) you own a car that doesn't possess all the fandangled modern security systems that exist in some of the more recent models, David. Otherwise, you may be still waiting to get your car back from the valet parkers!

As I remind all my customers, having a contingency plan of access to the spare key is always a good option.

.....and thanks for your notes! :wink:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:07 pm

There was an alternative, but it would have taken even longer.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:16 pm

I just retro fitted my 1987 Toyota Camry with voice recognition software that unlocks the doors upon command. Of course, it only obeys commands in Japanese.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:00 pm

Of course, stupid me didn't think that with all that "technology", you are unable to lock your keys in your car! :oops:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:32 am

Wow, a Washington wine was WOTN east of the Mississippi? Never thought I'd see the day.

You must drive a Chevy Cavalier. Only car I've ever driven (it was a month-long rental) that would allow you to lock your keys in the car. I got locked out three times, twice while filling up with gas--it locked itself.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:08 am

Nope. I drive a 2004 Honda Accord, and it was the valet who locked the key in the car. It was right there, laying on the seat. :evil:

As for a WA wine being WOTN, it happens a lot, as my good friend Spencer specializes in WA wines. He has nearly as much Quilceda Creek (back to the very early '90s) as I have Donnohff.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Prior to being served our desserts we enjoyed the 1963 Sandeman Port which was vastly superior to other bottles of the same wine I have experienced in the past. A touch of alcoholic warmth blew off quickly to show candied cherries, sandalwood, almond, licorice and warm, dusty earth. A very fine '63 experience.

What a coinkydink, David--my brother broke open (in the good sense) the very same bottle last night. For someone with as little vintage port experience as I have, it was quite a treat. I got some of the same nutty, spicy, earthy notes as you, but also golden raisins and coffee/toffee/treacle tones. Can't vouch for the storage up till two years ago, so this bottle may have been showing a bit older than yours, but still quite a pleasure.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:31 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote: Can't vouch for the storage up till two years ago, so this bottle may have been showing a bit older than yours, but still quite a pleasure.

Given the age of the wine I think there's al ot of bottle variation even with good storage.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:23 pm

Great notes on some great wines! Where did you hold your dinner?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:51 pm

The dinner was at a restaurant called Peppercorns in Hartford, CT. They were relatively BYO friendly, considering that we got out for $72/person including tax, tip, corkage and a 4 course meal.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:09 am

That's almost exactly what we paid at our offline at La Grolla in NYC but corkage was waived at that gathering.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:20 am

Corkage was not a specific line item in the bill, so I don't even know what they charged. It was a package deal for $72/person (was to be $70 but a few martinis were ordered by a couple of group members prior to dinner - blech).