The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Midsummer tipples

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Midsummer tipples

by Saina » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:44 pm

Midsummer is a weird time in Helsinki. Most inhabitants disappear and go north. I have never understood the appeal of living in the countryside with no electricity and running water so I have never joined the masses. Instead I volenteer to work the Friday at the bookshop and spend the rest of the weekend enjoying how quiet Helsinki is. Today I went jogging at 16:00 and there was no one else on the forest paths around my house (usually this time Saturday, it is packed with dog-owners). It is so peaceful. Gladly I have a couple friends who also don't appreciate the countryside so we met up at my house to enjoy a little food and too much wine:

• 2005 Pewsey Vale Riesling Individual Vineyard Selection - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Eden Valley (6/23/2007)
    The nose had lots of lime and slight minerality. The palate was dry and forceful, rather extracted and less elegant than I remember this wine to be in previous vintages, more in the Alsace or Austria mode than German. Nice, but not the superb value that '04 and '02 were IMO.
  • 2005 Quinta do Alqueve (Pinhal da Torre) Fernão Pires Vinho Regional Ribatejano - Portugal, Ribatejano, Vinho Regional Ribatejano (6/23/2007)
    Light gold. The nose has huge fruit and is very floral, reminding me of Viognier. There is a very interesting and nice note of pine kernel also. The palate also has huge, sweet fruit, but is gladly backed up by adequate acidity. I rather like it, though it is more full bodied than I generally like my wines - but the minerality on the aftertaste and the whole being refreshing rather than ponderous despite the size make me like it.
  • 2005 Perusini Ronchi di Gramogliano Colli Orientali del Friuli - Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Colli Orientali del Friuli (6/22/2007)
    The nose starts out a little lactic, but with an hour of air it clears out and smells like essence of Cabernet Franc: leafy, tobacco, earthy, herbal and full of juicy cassis. The palate is juicily fruity yet savoury and with lovely acidity. It has noticable but ripe tannins, but the ripe fruit is so well in evidence that it is just a lovely - albeit primary - wine to drink now.
  • 2005 Louis Sipp Riesling - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC (6/22/2007)
    15,40€, 12,5%abv, 11g/l RS, 7g/l acidity. Very light colour, a bit greenish. The nose is very pure with white flowers and mineral water. The palate is a light and refreshing though isn't as high in acidity as Alko's indication of 7g/l would seem. The fruit is very ripe. This is a very lovable and pure wine.

Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Midsummer tipples

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:26 pm

Off year for Pewsey Vale maybe?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Midsummer tipples

by Saina » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:37 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Off year for Pewsey Vale maybe?

I don't know. In chat, David Lole told me '05 should have been good in Eden Valley. It is more likely that my tastes in wine have changed, I was having an off-day or that it despite the screw cap it was just not the best bottle. Whatever it was, it was an enjoyable wine so I'm not complaining.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.