The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

June Decanter has an Argentina supplement!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

June Decanter has an Argentina supplement!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:29 pm

Great reading and tons of info. Over 40 pages, including a writeup on the Wines of Argentina awards, held last year I believe? Best Malbec was the `05 Domaine Vistalbam Fabre Montmayou. "best.....made in a more restrained style, less ripe, dare one say European style" . Best red blend was the Bodega Norton Privada (`03). Another interesting comment goes on about blending malbec with other varietals, not for this Malbec Hound!!

There is a fair amount of in-depth discussion about the top wine producers, including the Spaniard Jose M Fournier of Acrux fame.

Try to grab a copy.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: June Decanter has an Argentina supplement!

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:07 am

Bob
I always used to bin the Decanter supplements which were seemingly a succession of glossy adverts, with a sneaky suspicion that the remainder smacked of 'product placement'. The magazine as a whole seemed to spend too much on glossy pictures and little on anything of substance. I gave up on it about 2-3 years ago.

IIRC there have been voices that Decanter has started to lift it's game again, under a new editor. What's your view?

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:07 am

Hi Bob-- I think the suplement is a good effort on the part of Decanter. Not sure I agree with their assessment of the Fabre Malbec, but then, differences is what makes this entire thing (I mean the differences in our tastes and palates) interesting.

The publishing of this special piece was timed to match the London Wine Expo, where I understand the general interest for Argentine wines was significant.

As for blending Malbecs.... as I said on Talkshoe I think that Argentine blends in general, and in particular those that contain Malbec are perhaps the most overlooked wine category when people think of wines from this region.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:59 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:As for blending Malbecs.... as I said on Talkshoe I think that Argentine blends in general, and in particular those that contain Malbec are perhaps the most overlooked wine category when people think of wines from this region.

Last year my wife and I had a red blend from Argentina at a nearby restaurant. It was 60% Bonarda and 40% Malbec, and was wonderful. Unfortunately, the next time we ate there, it was no longer on the wine list. :(

Since I now find myself enjoying blends more than straight varietals (Pinot Noir excluded), I would not be overlooking this wine category.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:19 pm

That blend sounds a lot like Mora Negra, made by Finca Las Moras in San Juan.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:44 pm

Ian.

I have not noticed much improvement in the Decanter setup at all but there is usually one item of interest (usually!). I avoid the Annual Awards Issues, the wines are not at all representative of what is out there.

Alej.

I feel sure that a N American tasting panel would have come to different conclusions!! Thanks for the Mendel update.