The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 02 Drouhin, 99 Suduiraut, 89 Drouhin, 82 Mouton

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 02 Drouhin, 99 Suduiraut, 89 Drouhin, 82 Mouton

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:13 am

Notes from a small wine dinner:

With giant scallops and prawns in sherry-tarragon cream sauce:

2002 Drouhin Puligny Montrachet Folatieres – light straw colour, delicate lemon/vanilla nose, smooth with medium body and decent length.

With seared foie gras on brioche slice:

1999 Ch. Suduiraut – nose of peach and botrytis, seemed slightly high in alcohol, full, rich and fairly sweet with good length. The acidity was only barely sufficient to balance the wine and I’d have liked a bit more. Come to think of it, a drier wine would have complemented the foie gras better.

With duck breast and mushroom crepes:

1989 Drouhin Chambolle Musigny Les Charmes – this wine has drunk well for years and it was a nice garnet red colour with an earthy, truffle nose that developed in the glass. It still shows good fruit and finishes well. Food enhanced the sweetness in the wine and it became even more enjoyable. Should be drunk in the near term.

With sautéed veal and pasta:

1986 Ch. Haut Bages Liberal – nice little Pauillac that showed medium colour, nice mature nose and high acidity.. With food it bloomed as the acidity was tamed.

With rare lamb chops:

1982 Ch. Mouton Rothschild - a swirl gets you a very nice plumy nose with a hint of mint and a bit of sweet pudding. Good balance and acidity, nicely rounded wine with great depth of flavour and very good length Opened nicely with some time in the glass. It is a hard call between this and the monumental 1986, but I think I’d hold out for the latter, though it won’t be ready for years yet.

With cheese:

1985 Rocha Port – a special wine made for the Barros family and more like an LBV in some ways. tawny edges, nose like a vintage Port, palate like a young tawny. Pleasant.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 02 Drouhin, 99 Suduiraut, 89 Drouhin, 82 Mouton

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:52 am

With giant scallops and prawns in sherry-tarragon cream sauce:

MMM! I could eat this for breakfast. Please send a plate right over.

With seared foie gras on brioche slice:

I'll take this if you're out of the seafood.

a drier wine would have complemented the foie gras better.

Heresy. I agree, but you and I are the only two people on the plant who think so.

With duck breast and mushroom crepes:

Okay, so you're out of foie gras, too? This would also make an excellent breakfast.

1989 Drouhin Chambolle Musigny Les Charmes

I'll bet that was terrific with the crepes.

With sautéed veal and pasta:

Have I ever told you that leftover pasta is one of my favorite breakfasts?MMMMM!

1986 Ch. Haut Bages Liberal

What, you weren't good enough for the Lynch Bages?

1982 Ch. Mouton Rothschild

Ah, well, all is now forgiven.

It is a hard call between this and the monumental 1986, but I think I’d hold out for the latter, though it won’t be ready for years yet.

I want to sell my 86's to the guy Manny sold his '87's to. If dude was willing to fork out $1,000 a bottle for a crappy vintage like that, I figure my 86's must be worth about $13K each. If I get a bite, they're GONE. :)

1985 Rocha Port –

Never a house one reads about in TN's. I have a single bottle in my cellar that has a rather unusual history.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:56 am

Are you posting before breakfast?

Methinks yon Jenise has a lean and hungry look to her......

What is the oddness about your Rocha - other than that one hardly ever sees this Port - except in the Pacific Northwest?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Are you posting before breakfast?

Obviously, but that's typical. Don't wake up hungry, and typically don't eat until 3 or 4 hours after I get up.

What is the oddness about your Rocha - other than that one hardly ever sees this Port - except in the Pacific Northwest?

Unusual, not odd. It's a blend of three vintages--like 1900, 1950, and 2000. Or something very close to that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:34 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Are you posting before breakfast?

Unusual, not odd. It's a blend of three vintages--like 1900, 1950, and 2000. Or something very close to that.

Didn't know they did that!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:51 pm

Yeah, it's called the "Century" bottling. Which also describes its cost. :?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:52 pm

Jenise wrote:Yeah, it's called the "Century" bottling. Which also describes its cost. :?

Good job you didn't opt for the Millennium bottling.....