The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Oz Riesling, Bdx blanc, Refosco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Oz Riesling, Bdx blanc, Refosco

by Dale Williams » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:48 pm

Friday my parents arrived, and we went to dinner with them and Betsy's parents at Harvest on Hudson in Hastings (how's that for an alliterative restaurant). Absolutely gorgeous location, pretty good food. Betsy wanted a glass of white, neither mom was imbibing, so the guys were splitting a bottle of red. Neither Bob or my dad has any real interest in wine, so I was sticking to the under$40 selections. I spotted a Refosco, thought I could broaden my wine knowledge. I assumed being from Friuli it might have good acidty. Wrongo, boyo. I still have no clear idea what Refosco tastes like, because this was a prize example of the march of internationalization. The 2002 Villa Frattina Refosco dal Pendunculo has Sweet red fruit, lots of oak, low-acidity. Not a bad finish for a $35 restaurant wine, this makes a decent California Merlot. Something crisp would have been better with my "pork and clams" (pork chop wth chorizo & piquillo peppers and a few littlenecks). Anyway, assuming that Refosco isn't supposed to be Merlot, I'll be generous with a B-

Betsy got a glass of the 2005 Bonnet Blanc Bordeaux (never saw bottle, but based on prior years assume Entre-Deux-Mers)for her calamari/frisee salad and skate main course, I sampled during my frog leg appetizer. I was actually quite impressed for level, clean citrus fruit, a little grass, good length. A little less exuberant that NZ SBs at same level, but a nice quiet wine. B.

Saturday we had lovely weather. Before David's HS graduation, we had a little backyard party for the family (Betsy's parents, my parents, Dave's dad, his parents, and Betsy's sister's family). Ribs, mushroom/cheese quesadillas, an Asian noodle salad, deviled eggs, etc. Mostly soft drinks, but I did open the 2005 Pikes Dry Riesling (Clare Valley). Floral nose, hint of petrol, just a bit off-dry with sweet white peach fruit. After the ceremony (wonderful setting by the river, if only the speeches were shorter) Betsy and I finally relaxed with a glass and some leftover. The Pikes Riesling was showing more minerally, with the hint of sugar harder to find. Good intensity, length for an under $20 Riesling. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Oz Riesling, Bdx blanc, Refosco

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:50 pm

Thanks for the notes on the Pike`s Riesling, Dale. Have been eyeing this one up here, but feel Oz has too much space in cellar already!!!!
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:49 am

The Pike's brothers make a very solid (read as reliably good) Polish Hill Riesling that usually cellars well for the mid-term. Always redolent of crunchy lime and apple blossom with an underlying cut of minerally acid from my experience.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:40 am

Will keep an eye open for the Polish Hill (Grosset's is my favorite Oz Riesling)>