The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Pontet Canet (Pauillac)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2004 Pontet Canet (Pauillac)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:59 pm

First bottle out of a solid case of 375s bought on futures.

This is solid Bordeaux. Red and black fruit, lead pencil (graphite pencil??), cedar chips and iron-rich blood on the nose are a total dead giveaway to Bordeaux. Fantastic. I coud just smell this. The flavors are a little bit muddled, but all the parts are there, including some solid tannins and acidity. This seems like it will be enjoyable for a few more months, but then it could very well clamp down tight for a long, long time. There's plenty of material to carry it through a long sleep though, so no worries there. Yet another winner from the only PC I like.

Just perfect with my grilled lamb chops. (The cat liked the chops, but she had no comment on the wine.)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2004 Pontet Canet (Pauillac)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:28 pm

Thanks, David. One of my favorite wine shops had a bottle of 2000 P-C, and I'm looking forward to trying it circa 2011. (This shop has not steered me wrong yet vis a vis Bordeaux. Their only flaw is a downright contempt for California wine. On the other hand, that contempt means that they sell Georges de la Tour for $25 off standard retail I will be visiting them again. :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:34 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Their only flaw is a downright contempt for California wine.

That's a flaw??? :wink:
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:50 pm

LOL. There are many California wines I love. Generally, the ones that try to copy the older styles. :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:55 am

Me too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:22 am

Can you compare it to what you remember of the 02? I was reading Parker's reviews on the two wines last weekend, and got the impression that these are almost identical vintages.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:25 am

I do not find the 2002 and 2004 to be similar at all. 2002 is a harder, rougher wine, while 2004 seems to have all the pieces in place. I think the 2004 has much better balance, where the 2002 is probably the least successful Pontet-Canet of the new millenium IMO.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:03 pm

David, thanks. Wish I'd had your opinion Sunday morning. Won't bore you with details, but I had a chance to buy either at around $30 and I made the wrong choice apparently.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:23 pm

Cost Plus World Market recently had the 2003 P-C on sale for $36.99 (1/2 price) cuz they wanted to make room for the new vintage!!! They flew off the shelves....I tried one, it's tight, but has all the stuffing that David notes on the '04....there is nothing like a nice Bdx, in my book....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:36 pm

Jenise,

The 2002 is still a very good wine. Pontet-Canet hasn't set a foot wrong in 10 years. The 2002 is just going to require more patience to come into balance. It's more an old-style Bordeaux. The 2004 is modern without the barest hint of spoof.

James,

$36.99 for the 2003 is an insane steal!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:$36.99 for the 2003 is an insane steal!

I'll say. I paid over $50 at auction.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Jenise wrote:

I was cracking up when they told me that the HQ has said they needed to make floor space for the `new model' by clearing out the old vintage....so much for understanding wine....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks. I have a few of these in the cellar.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:25 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Jenise wrote:

I was cracking up when they told me that the HQ has said they needed to make floor space for the `new model' by clearing out the old vintage....so much for understanding wine....

Funny, I was looking for some pinot noir the other night and stopped by the World Market next to my office to see what they had. I told the guy working the wine department that I was looking for something in the burgundy style, and he told me that he didn't know anything about how they tasted, but that he could show me his best sellers. I passed and went to my neighborhood wine store and ended up w/ a nice Savigny Les Beaune. However, I may take a trip back over there this evening on the off chance that this store also has some of the P-C on close-out special- thanks!!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:26 pm

James Dietz wrote:I was cracking up when they told me that the HQ has said they needed to make floor space for the `new model' by clearing out the old vintage....so much for understanding wine....

That's how we discovered Bordeaux in the first place!--the wines were, the clerk explained, "too old". HA!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:05 pm

Jenise wrote:
James Dietz wrote:I was cracking up when they told me that the HQ has said they needed to make floor space for the `new model' by clearing out the old vintage....so much for understanding wine....

That's how we discovered Bordeaux in the first place!--the wines were, the clerk explained, "too old". HA!

Awesome. Let's just hope that their ignorance doesn't extend to storage techniques :lol:
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:53 pm

K Story wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Awesome. Let's just hope that their ignorance doesn't extend to storage techniques :lol:

You had to ruin it, didn't you??? :cry: :lol:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:59 am

James Dietz wrote:You had to ruin it, didn't you??? :cry: :lol:

Well, I got my come-uppance for it...stopped by my local World Market and was excited to see a lone bottle of the '03 in the glass case where they keep their more expensive wines. There was no price listed, so I had to search out a clerk to open the case and scan it for me (all the while thinking that this must be a very good sign, surely it's on "clearance".) $75.99. Oh well :(
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:04 am

I would never advocate buying Pontet-Canet for over about $65 (taking currency issues into account - otherwise the limit would be $45), but the 2003 is not far from 1st growth quality IMO, and so could very well be worth the $75 tariff.
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:45 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The 2002 is still a very good wine. Pontet-Canet hasn't set a foot wrong in 10 years. The 2002 is just going to require more patience to come into balance. It's more an old-style Bordeaux.

Well, that sounds much better to my ears now. The 02 was dirt cheap en primeur, so I thought what the hell, even I can drink a Bordeaux from time to time...from 2012 I guess...

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:02 am

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:The 2002 is still a very good wine. Pontet-Canet hasn't set a foot wrong in 10 years. The 2002 is just going to require more patience to come into balance. It's more an old-style Bordeaux.

Well, that sounds much better to my ears now. The 02 was dirt cheap en primeur, so I thought what the hell, even I can drink a Bordeaux from time to time...from 2012 I guess...

Peter

2012 or so will be the first time I grab one. Lots of Riesling to drink in the meantime.