The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

An inspired wine tasting in Edmonton..."Honey and Flower".

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

An inspired wine tasting in Edmonton..."Honey and Flower".

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Food menu

1) Watermelon, Summer Honey, Dried Cranberries, Feta and Jicama Cumin Salad.

2) Nasturtium and Jalapeno Jelly and Five Star Anise Braised Beef with Quails Eggs.

3) Fresh fruit salad drizzled with Dandelion Honey, Edible flowers and spearmint

Reception.

Fuller`s of London Organic Honey Dew Beer.

The Wines.

1) `04 Rudolf Rabl 'Vinum Optimum' Gruner Veltliner, Austria.

2) `06 Gray Monk Siegerrebe, Okanagan, BC.

3) `00 Turis Baronia Gran Reserva, Valencia Spain.

4) `04 Russo Sasso Bucato, Tuscany Italy.

5) `05 d`Arenberg 'The Laughing Magpie' Shiraz Viognier, McLaren Vale, Australia.

6) NV BarenMet Honey Mead, Germany.

TN and thoughts to follow!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: An inspired wine tasting in Edmonton..."Honey and Flower".

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:25 pm

/drool!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:43 pm

Over 20 participants, cost was $50 Cdn. Inspired theme I thought, hosted by 2 ladies who are farmer- fair active locally. The food served was terrific, there is a winebar right next door that has just opened. I was somewhat sceptical about some of the wines but it all turned out pretty good! The braised hip of beef was nicely infused and a wonderful match with 2 of the reds(the Magpie just did not work).

Fullers Honey Dew.

Deep gold,little head. Nose very honeyed with pine accents. Sweet subtle honeyed finish,light but very refreshing. Smooth beer this one.

`05 Rabl GV Optimum.

First time I have tasted this one. What a great producer, floral and spice nose. Violets, white pepper, ripe fruit. great acidity. Not a bad match with the first salad.

`06 Gray Monk Siegerrebe.

Blend of Madeleine Angevine and Gewurtz. Aroma akin to muscat, interesting wine, little mid-palate but big ripe finish. You like sweeties? This one is for you! Not a good food match on the night.

`00 Turis Baronia GR.

Co-op, best match with the beef but alone Nagh! Aroma of sage, thyme, palate was light bodied, smooth , good wine, great price at $16 Cdn. Drink with food forumites.

`04 Russo Sasso.

Big Tuscan which was decanted 5 hrs. At first I was not sure but the more beef I ate, the better the wine. Acidic maybe, needs time. Flew off the shelf after, at $44. Very nice structure here.

`05 Laughing Magpie.

What can I say, not a big fan of these fruit bombs. Love d`Arenberg but this one might suit Otto!!! Mind you , have had swiss cheese Marechal with this wine and that was a fair match. $34 Cdn, price going down?

NV BarenMet Honey Mead.

As food and wine expert at tasting(???), I tried to think which dish to prepare with this mead. Came up with Smoked Pork Loin, caramelized apple and a mead/calvados sauce. Sure complimented the fruit salad though. Nose was a bust but great on the palate with rosehips, citrus honey hints. $23 Cdn

So there you go forumites. Geez, what a lot of typing!! Enjoy.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:50 pm

Hey Bob, I would have been there, but had fourth row seats for Madeleine Peyroux last night. Great show.

I've had a few of the wines before. The Rabl is excellent and I felt the same as you about the Baronia. On its own it has little character, but it is the perfect foil with food.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi Mike, it was a fun evening. Only have 70 views here however!!?? ............... &^%$%^&* it

LOL.