The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NoCool 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Michigan

NoCool 2007

by Jay Baldwin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:32 pm

The organizers regret to announce that plans for MoCool 2007 have been abandoned. We are without a venue for our target date(s), and we do not have the resources -- even with an army of volunteers -- to adjust in time by finding an alternate public or private location.

We are truly sorry to have let down the MoCool Nation this year!

We'll try again next year.

Jay B, for the gang
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: NoCool 2007

by wnissen » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:26 am

Oh no! :(

I'm sorry there is no appropriate venue for this year's MoCool. Maybe we can appeal to the Ann Arbor Convention Center for mercy. Hope to see y'all next year.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:12 am

Jay, so sorry that didn't work out this year. But thanks to all the organizers for their efforts. As I am sure you know, MoCOOL is a highlight of the year for many of us, a chance to see old friends as much as to enjoy the best of each other's cellar. I hope it can be resurrected next year.
Thanks again for all your efforts, and all the wonderful past MoCOOL's.
-OW
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:46 am

Jay,

I wish to echo O.W.'s sentiments. While this news is difficult to take, I'm sure it was equally difficult to deliver. In no way, however, does it diminish the appreciation many of us feel for the efforts the MoCool organizers have made in the past to pull off such an outstanding event. Your little band of merry makers have provided us with many wonderful memories.

Although there will be no "Christmas" this year, I look forward to reuniting with everyone next year. My mantra will be: Celebrate in 2008!

Thank you again, Jay, and all the organizers, for the wonderful times we've had (and, hopefully those yet to come).

JuliaB
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 am

Jay Baldwin wrote:The organizers regret to announce that plans for MoCool 2007 have been abandoned.

Sad news, Jay ... I know a great moan of sorrow rises over Geekland today as the long tradition takes a hiccup for '07. But I echo what the others have said about the hard work the committee has done, this year and every year. Whatever happens in the future, you have our gratitude.

In the "when life gives us lemons, let's make lemonade" department, though, I wonder if there's sufficient sentiment to support some kind of "NoCool" regional offline somewhere in the MI/OH/IN/KY region in the later part of August, even if it's only a pale imitation of the real thing.

Thoughts, everyone?
no avatar
User

Dave Guimond

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:29 am

by Dave Guimond » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:55 am

Hi Robin,

I know that many of us have been holding that 8/25 weekend open, so a smaller offline might not be out of the question. Just don't ask me to organize it 8)

Dave
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:51 pm

Jay, I first saw your note at 5 o'clock this morning, and my jaw literally hit the desk in dismay. I am sad to know that my years of consecutive attendance will end at 10. I am certainly in the camp of "if we can't do Mo'Cool then lets do a junior size Mo'Cool". I would also suggest that we enlist the help and advice of the Gang of Pour (if they are willing) to suggest places and to offer contacts that they use for the Toledo affair every winter. Robin's idea is number one in my mind. Now I more than ever wish I could have attended Niagara Cool this year.

Like the others, I wish to say thanks, to all the organizers and other locals who have for 10 years made late August so special for me and so many others. I have made many friends that I have looked forward to seeing at Mo'Cool. not least among them are the following Joel and Sally, Jay and Cindy, John Wolf, (forgive me John, I have forgotten your wife's name) Guido and Mary, Gary and Georgine, and Clay Johnson and his wife. I am sorry if I have left any one else out.

Then of course there are the ones like myself that come from afar that I only see once per year. People like Lew and Nancy, the Noland brothers, OW and Beth Holmes, Julia B. (Ok I see her once in a while at a Cincinnati offline), and a whole host of others.

I am not even going to entertain the idea that we won't have some kind of gathering this year, it might not be Mo'Cool, but it will for sure be a lot better than nothing at all.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:32 pm

Bob, check your emails and send me a note. Got an idea.
-OW
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:40 pm

I too am sad because this was to be my first MoCool. I would definitely be interested in any "junior" gathering that would have me and my husband. I'd also be happy to help out in whatever way I could.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:08 pm

Dave Guimond wrote:Hi Robin,

I know that many of us have been holding that 8/25 weekend open, so a smaller offline might not be out of the question. Just don't ask me to organize it 8)

Dave

I have an idea. The Detroit Tigers are playing the New York Yankees that day. It's a 7:05PM start. I suggest we simply all meet in the parking lot for an impromptu Off-Line and pot luck picnic. We don't even have to go to the game, just party in the parking lot. :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:48 pm

OW, I have checked out the email, and Your thoughts are good ones. I would like a more urban scene if it can be arranged. I am hoping that we can somehow put something together where we can do something more like a mini Mo'Cool. I got Jay's notification at 5am today and was dumbfounded. I would encourage you to go forward with preliminary investigations concerning availability of the lodge and see what else, if anything comes about. As I said in my reply to Jay, you and Beth are two of the people who make it special for me each year in August.

Bob, how could you fail to include two of your most favorite Michiganders of all times, Geo T, and Madam Kim! I am telling ya boy, you getting OLD!
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:52 pm

I have heard so much in the past about this event. I feel sure that you guys can scale down a bit and still have a great event!! If I was your way, I would be right there to help out. Go for it.
Anyone thought of having a get-together in a campground over the weekend? Like here, alcohol is allowed eh?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:16 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I have heard so much in the past about this event. I feel sure that you guys can scale down a bit and still have a great event!! If I was your way, I would be right there to help out. Go for it.
Anyone thought of having a get-together in a campground over the weekend? Like here, alcohol is allowed eh?

A lot of state parks ban alcohol. This may be the case in most state parks. It's a real problem in PA as some of the rangers can choose to be a pain in the neck. There is no ban in national parks.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:10 pm

James Roscoe wrote:It's a real problem in PA as some of the rangers can choose to be a pain in the neck.

A pain in the what??!!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:49 pm

Jay,

Thanks for all your efforts to try to get MoCool organized this year. We will miss you, all the organizers, and all the friends made over the years at MoCool. Hopefully, next year will be a memorable MoCool.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:01 am

Like Laura, this was going to be the first MoCool for my wife and I now that high school football and college soccer no longer occupy every weekend from mid-August thru November! We would be most interested in any scaled-down version of the event in the KY/OH/IN/MI corridor.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:59 am

Bob Henrick wrote: I would like a more urban scene if it can be arranged. I am hoping that we can somehow put something together where we can do something more like a mini Mo'Cool.

Bob, that is Robin's sentiment too, so I am putting it on hold to see what develops.
-OW
no avatar
User

Joel G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:31 pm

Ann Arbor

by Joel G » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:29 am

Needless to say, guys and gals, we are terribly disappointed.

Without going into the details, suffice it to say that we couldn't get confirmation of our usual venue for the weekend, no good alternative was apparent, and things finally reached the point where we had to of make a go / no-go decision.

Speaking for myself (and Sally), we're enthusiastic about the idea of joining an informal off-line that weekend for those who are interested, and look forward to a renewal of MoCool in 2008.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 am

Now that is one hell of a first post, Joel.
You guys have been so great to do this all these years, and I do hope something pops up. I'd love to see you all again.
Looking forward to MoCOOL 2008.
-OW
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:47 am

Perhaps MoCool should go online this year with smaller gatherings all on the same day hooked up together via the internet? We could bring laptops and chat with the various other offlines as we taste our way through what ever each city has to bring. It shouldn't be too hard to get together. Heck, maybe even Otto and our other international friends could join in. It's just an idea. I don't even know if it's logistically possible. I will let the IT geeks kick it around. A virtual MoCool would be fun and a way for people who might not have otherwise been able to come join in the festivities.
no avatar
User

Jay Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Michigan

by Jay Baldwin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:22 pm

SkypeCool... that would be an interesting social experiment.

Mixing social networking technology with wine tasting, always a pursuit. It reminded me of the old days of Prodigy and Compuserve (and all the places we fled to after the Prodigy censorship and email surcharge fiascos, like Delphi, GEnie, and who can forget the National Videotex Network!... any former NVN-ers here?)

Jay
no avatar
User

Joel G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:31 pm

Ann Arbor

by Joel G » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Heh, heh. Jay, I'll never forget your description on Prodigy how you'd just joined an online tasting directly from mowing the lawn on a 90-degree day -- and the off-odor problems with the wine that was creating for you.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:16 pm

Would it be worth a try? Maybe the inimitable (sic?) Randy of Shoetalk fame could join us? the possibilities are endless. The embarassment potential well worth the effort. Of course I'm kind of sick that way.
no avatar
User

Jay Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Michigan

by Jay Baldwin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:15 pm

In just a few more years, the technology will have us sitting in a big circle, some real, some virtual, just like the Jedi Council.
Next