The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Ametzoi Getariako Txakolina

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: 2006 Ametzoi Getariako Txakolina

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:32 pm

With tonight's dinner of cheese ravioli in pesto, assorted stir-fried veggies and a salad of cucumber, onion and sesame seeds in Japanese rice wine vinegar, I opened:

2006 Ametzoi Getariako Txakolina
color: pale with slight petillance
nose: very perfumed, white flowers, minerals, tropical fruit, grapefruit
palate: lightweight, petillant, acidic, citrus, stonefruit and minerals

This is a white wine made from the Hondarrabi Zuri grape in the Basque region of Spain. At 11% alcohol, it is not too far from Muscadet in mouthfeel, but with a flavor profile more closely approaching a
flamboyant NZ Sauvignon. In comparison to the '05, which we had last summer, this is a more perfumed and flamboyant wine, but also more acidic. Not a great match with the food, and almost too acidic for Jean's stomach, but a very fine wine and good QPR at $16.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2006 Ametzoi Getariako Txakolina

by Paul B. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:45 am

Mark, this might be a bit simplistic, but it makes me wonder why a wine grown in as warm an area as Basque country would seem so underripe. 11% with such high acidity - that makes me ask whether they might be overcropping. Alternatively, maybe the grape is an extraordinarily late ripener? Just tossing about some possibilities.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:17 am

Paul B. wrote:Mark, this might be a bit simplistic, but it makes me wonder why a wine grown in as warm an area as Basque country would seem so underripe. 11% with such high acidity - that makes me ask whether they might be overcropping. Alternatively, maybe the grape is an extraordinarily late ripener? Just tossing about some possibilities.

Are you sure that it's as warm as you think? It's at higher latitude than you are, and at pretty high elevation for the most part, too.

Just my $0.02,
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:06 pm

it is not too far from Muscadet in mouthfeel, but with a flavor profile more closely approaching a flamboyant NZ Sauvignon

I like that desription, Mark. I noticed some similarities with Muscadet also. The Txakolina has a little more CO2, and maybe higher acidity?

I wonder if they age or at least stay drinkable with age like Muscadet.

Thanks for posting the note.

Marc D
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Marc D wrote:
it is not too far from Muscadet in mouthfeel, but with a flavor profile more closely approaching a flamboyant NZ Sauvignon

I like that desription, Mark. I noticed some similarities with Muscadet also. The Txakolina has a little more CO2, and maybe higher acidity?

Yes on both counts.

I wonder if they age or at least stay drinkable with age like Muscadet.

I'll never know: synthetic cork.

Mark Lipton