The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Montelena, Parallel 45 pink, American nebbiolo, Siduri

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Montelena, Parallel 45 pink, American nebbiolo, Siduri

by Jenise » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:38 am

On Tuesday, David and Nadine had us and our friend Bruce to dinner in North Vancouver. The occasion was the capture of a live 4.5 pound lobster which David deftly turned into a stunning pasta dish. I brought two contrasting chardonnays for that course, an 04 white burg I've TN'd before and a 2000 Chateau Montelena. The burg was the brighter and more interesting wine, but the richer Montelena was my preference for the dish. David felt the Montelena had too much oak, and indeed it showed more oak and less minerality than I expected. Might hold here for a few more years but if I had more I'd move them to the drinking queue.

Before dinner, we hardened our arteries with a delicious duck liver mousse and sipped on a 2006 Parallel 45 rose. I've not had this one before but it's a dry, crisp, cut little number with good grenache character. I'll be looking for this on my side of the border.

Last night I was serving Rao's Lemon Chicken to friends and when I went to the cellar to select a wine to go with that, I discovered a forgotten bottle of 2002 Wildridge Nebbiolo from Washington State's Red Mountain appellation. Have not had the wine before and had no idea what to expect, but was quite pleased. Not as complex as it's Italian cousins and fairly low on acid, but there's excellent secondary development here and the wine's all cherries, prunes, dried rose petals, leather and earth.

After dinner we played cribbage, and sipped on a 2000 Novy Alder Springs Merlot. It was drinkable but the wine's past peak and picking up those muddy, soy sauce flavors of a wine that doesn't know where to go when it grows old. Drink up if you got 'em.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: Montelena, Parallel 45 pink, American nebbiolo, Siduri

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:35 pm

Jenise wrote: David felt the Montelena had too much oak, and indeed it showed more oak and less minerality than I expected. Might hold here for a few more years but if I had more I'd move them to the drinking queue.

Is the fruit fading? I have a few more bottles but I was planning on waiting another 3-4 years. I am not oak adverse and usually like how Montelena handles it. But I still want the fruit and minerality. I really enjoyed this about 2 years ago.

Thanks for the notes.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:48 pm

Was the fruit fading? Yes, I thought so, but not compared to other 00 Montelenas (this bottle was an orphan) but to the magnificent 01 I had just two weeks ago. The 00 just didn't have any nerve.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:34 pm

Nebbiolo, I can honestly say I've never tasted a "good" wine from that grape except from Italy. Can't understand why?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:58 am

Lou Kessler wrote:Nebbiolo, I can honestly say I've never tasted a "good" wine from that grape except from Italy. Can't understand why?

Dunno! But Italian grapes just never taste all that Italian outside of Italy. And neither did this, especially without the requisite acidity--it won't send any Baroli running for cover--but it was actually good wine, more satisfying than I expected.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:26 am

Jenise, the Novy is the Siduri, correct? I went through looking for a Siduri before figuring that the Novy must be the one.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:36 am

Yes, JC, you're absolutely right. Siduri=Novy since it's all Adam Lee and I forget to distinguish between the two.