The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Keeping it real

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Keeping it real

by Florida Jim » Tue May 02, 2006 5:55 am

2002 Bergerie de l’Hortus, Pic Saint Loup Classique:
A touch of the Rhone on the nose which is very reticent; a lightly fruited, straight-forward, lean, unbalanced toward acidity wine that seems a bit brittle to me. Not worth the $8.

2005 Caldora, Sangiovese Terre di Chieti:
Grapes and raspberries on the nose; the same on the palate with a fruit sweet delivery that is smooth, simple and pleasant. Not classy but certainly quaffable and went well with a pressed Cuban sandwich. About $8.

N/V Louis Perdier, Brut Blanc de Blanc:
An odd, but perfectly acceptable, mix of slightly sweet and slightly dry impressions with a healthy bead and nice sustain. Not a great bubbly but okay for $6; still, one glass will do.

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos de Allées:
The texture and breadth of a fine, aged Chablis; the penetrating flavor and cut of a great Muscadet; with an extremely long finish and an entire world of nuance on both the nose and palate. Sensational with grilled chicken and, at $7 on sale, cheap at three times the price.

2003 Dom “La Garrigue,” Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Romaine:
Very nice nose of meat, salty minerality, red fruit and spice; equally good on the palate with nothing overblown, solid fruit and mineral flavors with nuance, excellent balance and acidity; a medium length, bright finish. At $10, a delicious, savory wine that accompanies pasta with pesto beautifully.
(A very nice and all too rare, 2003 success.)

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Keeping it real

by Jenise » Tue May 02, 2006 11:52 am

Interesting on the 03 Le Garrique. I had one or two good bottles of the 01 and bought 2 cases only to find that the 2 cases had that cloudy stink of heat damage. Have never had another, and certainly would have avoided an 03 altogether if I hadn't seen a note like yours. Thanks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 02, 2006 1:57 pm

Luneau-Papin at $7? Is there a "green with envy" emoticon?

Nice notes as usual. Too bad about the Hortus, I liked some earlier vintages (mid90s).
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:38 am

The 2005 Dom. La Garrique CDR has shown up locally. Anyone have any notes on this? I'll probably will get a few btls. but if favorable reviews I just might go for a few more.
Sweet Wm.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:55 am

I think Gary Vaynerchuk of WineLibrary reviewed the 05 la Garrigue just a few days ago. My recollection is that he REALLY liked it. And a friend of mine told me last night that I have to buy these - they just showed up here in Michigan as well.
I had the '04 la Garrigue the last two nights. It really nice on night one, and even better on night two. A big CdR with ample rhone funk over black fruit, very nice.
-OW
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 am

Bill, The Parker review has been quoted extensively in this area -- I haven't tried the wine, but friends have urged me to get a few bottles. The Solomon endorsement is always encouraging, and for $12 it really sounds worth a flier whatever your opinion of Parker:

Robert Parker 91 points: The 2005 Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Romaine, a blend of 65% Grenache, 25% Mourvedre, and 10% Syrah, is a fabulous example of how high quality Cotes du Rhones can be. Made under the auspices of the brilliant oenologist Philippe Cambie, this wine comes from the estate's oldest head-pruned vines of 60 to 90 years old. Dense ruby/purple with terrific black cherry and black currant fruit, full-bodied essence of Provencal fruit, herbs, incense, and spice, this essentially tastes more like a Vacqueyras than a Cotes du Rhone and is beautifully ripe, full-bodied, opulent, and also vibrant, which is in keeping with this top-notch vintage. Drink it over the next decade. The following three custom cuvees were personally selected by Eric Solomon and are bottled under his instructions unfined and unfiltered. They are available only in the U.S. market. In essence, that means that any bottlings without his importer strip label on them would be from the gray market and would not be the same cuvee.
-- Wine Advocate
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:34 am

Sorry, Bill, it was not a recent episode from Wine Library - just one I had recently reviewed. Episode 229. Here is the summary:
#3; COLOR-dark; NOSE-heavy dose of basil, hints of cinnamon & brown sugar, paint remover; TASTE-really nice pepper steak, beautiful cherries surrounding my entire palate, nice lush licorice, great complexity, hints of white pepper & curry on the finish, little New World, nice wine, cherry cola, very dry w/ firm tannins, very well-made, a steal; RP-91; GV-89
-OW
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:59 pm

Bob and OW,
Thanks for the replies. The reviews look like something I might enjoy, especially with a relatively large chunk of Moevedre in the mix. I went and bought 2 and will probably open one this weekend. If it's any good, I'll head back for a few more.
Thanks again for taking the time/effort to respond.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!