The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Palatinate Wineries: Speckert-Ruprecht, Kallstadt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard M

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 am

Speyer, Palatinate, Germany

Palatinate Wineries: Speckert-Ruprecht, Kallstadt

by Richard M » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:20 am

Let me suggest you one of my favourite wineries in the Palatinate (Pfalz):

Winery Speckert-Ruprecht ( 49°29'28.40"N 8°10'31.19"E) in 67169 Kallstadt, Freinsheimerstraße 3, is family property since 1600.

I tasted lot of wines from winemaker Michael Speckert and was never disappointed from his work. Michael Speckert is deaf and therefore speaks in sign language, Some people say when you loose one of your senses your other senses get even better, maybe this is a reason for his outstanding wines.

The Kallstadter Saumagen Riesling Auslese is - in my humble opinion - absolutely marvelous.

The Kallstadter Steinacker Huxelrebe Beerenauslese is another great wine, if you like sweet wine and want to taste something different than Riesling this should be your choice. First time documentally mentioned in 1270, the name "Steinacker" (=stone acre) comes from the stony grounds in this area, when you walk through this area you can see many stony slopes, looks hard for the vine but the stones store the heat from the sun, sheltering them from frost.

I forgot the names of the other wines, but I`ll never forget Speckert-Ruprecht, and that is noteworthy for my ability to store names in my memory...

Kallstadt lies in direct neighbourhood to Bad Duerkheim - home of the biggest wine fest and the biggest wine barrel (13,5m diameter, with a wine restaurant inside) worldwide. Wine growing locations in Kallstadt are:

Kallstadter Steinacker
Kallstadter Saumagen
Kallstadter Kreidkeller
Kallstadter Annaberg
Kallstadter Kronenberg
Kallstadter Kobnert

Link from a homepage with some pictures, adress and email from winery Speckert-Ruprecht....need some more time to finish mine (if it ever gets that far ;) )
Last edited by Richard M on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Palatinate Wineries: Speckert-Ruprecht, Kallstadt

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:07 am

Sounds very interesting. Too bad they are not imported into the USA (that I know of).

Are there a lot of ruprechts in the Pfalz? I am very familiar with (and fond of) Kohler-Ruprecht.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Richard M

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 am

Speyer, Palatinate, Germany

Re: Palatinate Wineries: Speckert-Ruprecht, Kallstadt

by Richard M » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:28 am

There once was a Rupert II, elector of the palatinate (Rupert in german = Ruprecht), in Kallstadt there are 3 wineries with this name:

Koehler-Ruprecht
Mueller-Ruprecht
Speckert-Ruprecht

and I just found one other Ruprecht winegrower in Essingen near Landau (Pfalz), about 40 km southwards.