The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Zenato '01 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ardeis Scott

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm

WTN: Zenato '01 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico

by Ardeis Scott » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Zenato 2001 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico
Made from 80% Corvina, 10% Rondinella and 10% Sangiovese.

I have been searching for 2 years on and off to locate an amarone that reminds me of a bottle I shared with my father at an oceanside Italian bistro a few years ago on a late night drive back from a day of fun in The City, San Francisco. This bottle for which the name is eternally lost dripped with flavors of a box of moist raisins. So many just haven't lived up to that experience that I've come to demand from outstanding amarone.

Zenato's '01 Amarone really nailed it! Deep, rich dried raisins baking in the sun with just enough sweetness left to avoid being overcooked. Slight smokiness as well. Still a bit rough on the edges, this bottle needs a couple of years to integrate it's parts, but the nose and long palate hint of a fine amarone to come. At $55 my purchasing is limited to just a few bottles but with no other strong horses in the field, at least in my neck of the woods, it's a no-brainer. B++.
Ardeis in Seminole
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WTN: Zenato '01 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Welcome to the forum, Ardeis! Nice notes on the Zenato. I like Amarone but rarely want to spend the money, so it's good to see info on the ones around here.

Am I correct in figuring that you're in Florida?

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child