The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 01 Pratesi Carmignano DOCG

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

WTN: 01 Pratesi Carmignano DOCG

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:12 pm

It's been a while since I've had a Carmignano, so since the weather was not as hot and humid as earlier in the week I took the plunge for a hearty big Tuscan red.

I would classify this wine as a balanced international red; full bodied and lush. Very deep ruby red-almost inkish-purple, I could immediately tell there was a lot of cabernet sauvignon in the blend from the waft of cassis that hit me as I poured the wine into the glass. I am usually not a fan of cabernet in my sangiovese, but this wine has been cushioned and rounded out with merlot. It is nicely balanced and definitely not over oaked - praise baby Bacchus! Tannins are present but very much tamed. Deep black cherry, cassis, with some licorice on the finish. Quite enjoyable and a very good buy for $26! 8)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 01 Pratesi Carmignano DOCG

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Paulo, I am glad you are around right now!! Question for you.......Rosato di Carmignano/Vin Ruspo? Is this sangiovese cos I have 2 bottles here in the cellar. Both `03 from Bonacossi?!!!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:11 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Paulo, I am glad you are around right now!! Question for you.......Rosato di Carmignano/Vin Ruspo? Is this sangiovese cos I have 2 bottles here in the cellar. Both `03 from Bonacossi?!!!

I am not familiar with this wine, Bob, but I looked it up and it is sangiovese. I also found that "Vin Ruspo" means "stolen wine" in dialect, as people used to steal the red wine sangiovese grapes, and so to fool others they would make a rose wine.

Pop it open and let us know how it tastes! 8)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:19 pm

Thanks a lot. Music background will be Verdi`s Requiem with my man Muti!!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:26 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thanks a lot. Music background will be Verdi`s Requiem with my man Muti!!

I think the rosato will go very well with the "Sanctus" movement, Bob! Here's a picture of Muti signing my MacBeth score at Carnegie Hall in 1983 when I was 19, which was the first time I sang under him and at Carnegie!