The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Poggerino + a Stunning Movia Merlot '94

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Poggerino + a Stunning Movia Merlot '94

by Saina » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:31 pm

On Friday, we had a nice little tasting. A friend had just visited Poggerino and some other producers in Tuscany and had brought back some wines (and barrel samples). It was an interesting tasting, but, once again, I am a grumpy young man and just didn't much enjoy the style that Poggerino strives after. The parentheses around the tasting were stunning however:

• 1994 Movia Merlot - Slovenia, Brda (7/1/2007)
    Deep core, some bricking on the rim. The nose is very true varietally: darker undertones, some red berry tones, plums. It also has a slight dung component which is absolutely delightful! The palate is medium-bodied with nice, sweet, mature fruit. The structure is refreshing. Very long and very nice!
  • 2004 Fattoria Poggerino Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (7/1/2007)
    Dark. The scent is quite nice: it has herbs and sandalwood - but also a bit too obvious oak. The palate is nicely structured with plenty of ripe tannins and mouthwatering acidity - I like this despite the obvious oak and despite it being rather in the modern style. Will improve, I'm sure.
  • 2005 Fattoria Poggerino Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (7/1/2007)
    A barrel sample. Black. The nose is very primary and lactic. With 4 hours decanting it somewhat opened up and showed some herbal notes but was still difficult to smell. The palate was more expressive: lots of tannins, lots of savoury fruit, seems to have more wood than I would hope - I have to see again once it is released. Seems fair, but not as good as the 2004.
  • 2004 Fattoria Poggerino Chianti Classico Primamateria - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (7/1/2007)
    Dark. This started out quite nicely (after 2h decanting): dark toned fruit, oaky but not as obviously as the Bugialla. Unfortunately after 4h decanting, it became too sweet and coca-cola-like. The palate was dark toned and well structured with some attractive acidity. But this does not disguise for me the too obvious oak and superficial sweetness. Well made, but not my style.
  • 2004 Fattoria Poggerino Chianti Classico Riserva Bugialla - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico (7/1/2007)
    Dark. Too much oak on the nose. It does have a bit of loamy scents, but otherwise it is all about oak and very ripe fruit - I have difficulty finding any varietal character in it. The palate is sweet and full bodied. It smells and tastes more of Barrique than anything else. Well made, but not at all my style.
  • N.V. M. Gil Luque Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Amontillado "De Bandera" VORS - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (6/29/2007)
    18,5% abv, 61,20€. Light orange. The nose is very elegant yet typical Amontillado: lifted and rancioed. There is a lovable citrussy scent also. It is admirably deep. The palate is citrussy, nutty, high in acidity and volatility - very deep and harmonious yet "fruity" compared to other Amontillados. A very complete Amontillado and very lovable for me.

Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.