The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Guilty Pleasure (2004 Clos Les Lunelles)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Guilty Pleasure (2004 Clos Les Lunelles)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:05 pm

So I admit that once in a while I just want something that is easy to understand & satisfies that deeply buried hedonist (whack, bash, crunch..."get back down there"...bang, thump, shudder).

With a silly, mid-week holiday, siezing the moment is called for, so out comes the 2004 Clos Les Lunelles (Cotes de Castillon) from that most hated of modernists, Gerard Perse. With a grilled half of duck (thank you Costco) this represents a most agreeable match, for the fat of the duck tames the robust tannins of the wine, and the deep, rich fruit of the wine compliments the duck as if there were a plum sauce served alongside the meat. Menthol nuances also come through, and I ma reminded of nothing so much as a young Phelps Insignia but with more minerality and a sense of austerity as deeply buried as my hedonistic streak (bang, bang, bang..."didn't you hear me the first time??? get back down there...NOW...bash, crash, crunch).

Given the prices of things like Insignia, Pavie, Shafer HSS, etc. this has to be considered a great bargain, especially for satisfying that mid-week urge to just kick back and enjoy a glass of uncomplicated, rich wine.

Now back to your regularly scheduled fruitless, rock-dominated, ascetically-focused, pseudo-intellectual..."oh knock it off"...
Decisions are made by those who show up