The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: California wines tonight: Sauvignon Blanc, two Cabs and a Grenache

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: California wines tonight: Sauvignon Blanc, two Cabs and a Grenache

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:31 am

I changed my mind about what I wanted to open tonight :)

2005 Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc (from friend's wine cooler). It doesn't quite know what it wants to be. It's definitely not an over the top tropical grapefruit grassy New Zealand S.B=but it's not really an austere, minerally Sancerre, either. Just kinda sat there in the glass. Not bad, just boring. *1/2

2005 Elizabeth Spenser Grenache (Mendocino). Not decanted. Definitely a wine that took some time to open up. At first, was rather dark and closed off=not what I expected. Some alcohol on the nose. Defintiely a darker color than I expected.

After about an hour, the wine really began to blossom. Some nice sweet strawberry notes, but there was more, with herbs and a nice touch of savoryness. I enjoyed this as something different than my usual cabs. ***+ Would have probably been better with some spicy food, say Thai??? My one friend found it a trifle sweet, which I understand, but I liked the other things going on in the mouth.

2001 Chimney Rock Stag's Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon. With Tri-Tip in my friend's special seasonings, pan roasted potatos, and corn on the cob.

A very dark color. Not a lot of alcohol on the nose-AND NO EVIIIIIL VANILLA dominating things. On the palette, still pretty primary. Dark fruit-currant, cassis, blackberry. A hint, just a hint, of savoryness on the finish. Very smoooooth right now. No over-oaking (unlike so many Stag;s Leap and Napa Cabs!). Just a beautifully balanced California Cabernet. And, it opened up nicely in the glass, showing layers of balanced flavors. Even a touch of caramel=but just a touch, showing the deftness of the winemaker. It reminds me quite a bit of Cliff Lede, a nearby producer. Given how primary this was, yet balanced, I'm thinking this was probably infanticide. This is a California wine that could age into something nice, I'm guessing. I have a second bottle from this winery, the 2002 Reserve. I think I will wait five years or so and see what happens. *** with strong upside potential

2001 Godspeed Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon. Recommended to me. The disappointment of the night. Not over-oaked or too rich and alcholic. If anything, maybe too much the other extreme. While I dislike vanilla and too much alcohol, I really don't like California Cabs that are dominated by green pepper.

This wine actually startyed out decent, and the nose when I cracked it open was actuially lovely and rich and intriguing. But as it opened up, the raw green pepper became worse, completely dominating the palette. Is it just in a dumb phase, too young and closed? The initial funky nose suggests there might be something interesting in this wine. Do I spend more money to find out? *????
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: California wines tonight: Sauvignon Blanc, two Cabs and a Grenache

by JC (NC) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:52 pm

My acquaintance, who is something of an expert on Cal Cabernet Sauvignon, normally recommends at least ten years of age for the worthier wines. He buys by the case so may sample at five years or seven years, etc. to see how one is progressing but doesn't make serious inroads on the case until ten years after harvest so with the 2002 Chimney Rock Reserve, five more years (2012) is probably right on the nose (and palate).
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:42 pm

After a bicycle ride today, I stopped by the shop where I bought the Godspeed (not to complain, just because I was in town for another reason and he had a Crozes Hermitage I wanted to buy (Yaves Chan). The owner, a great guy, suggested I give hima call next time I was going to be in Napa, so we can experiement together. He had drunk the wine pretty much right after opening it (when the wine hadreally nice nose) and he wanted to see if it was a flawed bottle or if there is another broader problem. Cool guy! I recommend Back Room Wines!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:49 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:2001 Chimney Rock Stag's Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon. With Tri-Tip in my friend's special seasonings, pan roasted potatos, and corn on the cob.

Brian, I would for one like to hear EXACTLY how you prepared your Tri-Tip. I have a couple of them in the freezer and have done a few others on the charcoal, but have not yet gotten raves nor have I raved about the cut. Mine seem to be a little tough, so maybe I need to turn the heat down on the Kamado and do it on a low temp slow cook until I break the collagen down and make it tender. Thanks for any info.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:41 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:After a bicycle ride today, I stopped by the shop where I bought the Godspeed (not to complain, just because I was in town for another reason and he had a Crozes Hermitage I wanted to buy (Yaves Chan). The owner, a great guy, suggested I give hima call next time I was going to be in Napa, so we can experiement together. He had drunk the wine pretty much right after opening it (when the wine hadreally nice nose) and he wanted to see if it was a flawed bottle or if there is another broader problem. Cool guy! I recommend Back Room Wines!

Err.. Yann Chave for the Crozes? Regarding the Godspeed, bell pepper is the classic giveaway of a Cab that didn't fully ripen. Back in the good/bad ol' days, there were lots of Central Coast Cabs that showed that bell pepper character. If your wine guy thinks that bell pepper comes from a flawed bottle, I'd question his bona fides. However, maybe he meant something else.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:07 am

He really did mean something else. Flawed bottle was my posit.

I've had other green Cabs before-but what was so odd was how nice the nose was when I first opened the bottle. Other green cabs in my limited experience show the green-ness on the nose, too.

Yep-Croz Hermitage. Only $24, so we're not talking profound, but the reviews suggest it'll be up my alley (smokey, bacony, etc.)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:09 am

I'll ask my friend for his recipe. I can't claim responsibility. The "rule" is-they cook, I bring wine... Everyone is happy :)

I'm a pasta and salad kinda guy. Don't even own a grill. :oops: